Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  10:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, look for the artist afg81 in the deviantart galleries. He offers many types of textures.

Greg, thanks for the "amazing" comment. My son's job keeps him too busy to build structures so he appreciates my builds for his layout. It's fun to help him.

Dave

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  2:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my boxcar project now has a name and is done. You and I might call it a junk yard, but don't let Sal hear you say that.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  2:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Nicely done Bruce. T especially like the ramp...

Bob

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  4:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

Nicely done Bruce. T especially like the ramp...

Bob

Thanks, Bob.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  4:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After checking in I see a lot of great looking projects coming close to the end build.
Bob your sand deck, house and work bench looks fantastic. I'm sure your detailing will make them even greater looking.
Great looking shoe diorama Greg. Rich sent a picture of a Circus wagon of a shoe, I'm thinking after seeing your build, I'd love to make-up that wagon.
Nice looking structure Dave.
Great mix of items for your Sal's S&S! I also like that ramp as Bob pointed out.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  4:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

It's too high class to be a junk yard. Sal must surplus and salvage only the best.

Very nice.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  5:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lou & Mike. I've always wanted a junk salvage yard on my layout, and this gave me a way to do it.

Bruce

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  5:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
Your salvage yard is timeless! It would work for anyone to make one for their layout. Older themes just use an older boxcar design.
Well done!!

Louis, thanks for the shout out!

Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  6:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody,

This has been one of those weeks that seems to come with every model: repetitive tasks that really require keeping an eye on the target as motivation. Every day during lunch I cut and installed glass in the painted window frames. Then, home from work, a few rows of Rusty Stumps shingles.

The results with shingling completed and a few windows installed out of 31:

I also built the large canopy over the loading dock, which will probably be added last:

Finally, the skirting was added to the back lean-to.

At this point I am planning a ramp up to the door . . . maybe. I might just do a platform and wait until the building is on my layout before deciding on a ramp.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  6:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Probably seems like an inch at a time but the building is sure looking good!
Dave

Edited by - Guff on 02/12/2017 6:40:53 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  7:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave', your building looks awesome'..Beautiful job'..

Bruce, that sure is an immaculate operation Sal is running'.

Mike, You sure know how to shingle'. That is one good looking meat packing operation'.

Ted

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  9:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That turned out great, Bruce. Looks like Sal has sold out of his junk, though.

The shingling looks great, Mike.

Chuck

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  9:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work, everyone. My focus has been elsewhere, but with a snow day I decided to pick up an old scratchbuilding project: A B&M-style Boxed Pony Truss road overpass. I did the research and started work in 2000, then got distracted in 2001 and left the mock-up in place till now, loaded with the packages of stripwood and my design sketches: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48622

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  10:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, thanks for the compliment! I'm adding the finish detail to really accent the build. Need a few more days.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  11:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, Ted, and Chuck, thank you for the nice comments.

Mike

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000