Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: Dan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: The Southside Hotel from Imagine That Laser Art
Page: of 46

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  2:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, you wrapped up that boxcar into a very nice package.

Greg Shinnie

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  5:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to start in on my build which will be out of the "Shelf-liberating" category.

I've had the Goldline Products HOn3 Hermosa Creek Bridge; kit #GL-100, in my kit stash since the mid-90's.

Since the kit comes packaged in a tube, I've posted a picture of the completed kit from the Goldline Products page at www.goldlineproducts.com
You can see the kit page at: http://www.goldlineproducts.com/HERMOSACREEKBRIDGE.htm

My build of this bridge will be documented at: http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44353&whichpage=26

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  02:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, nice looking conversion.
I've gotten a little done. I got the sand dock finished;

And starting on the painting the details castings;

Having a little trouble getting the work bench castings looking like wood.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  08:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob and Bruce, thank you for your positive comments.

Bruce, lots of color in your boxcar conversion, but very credible. It's going to make a small yet noticeable scene.

Kris, I'm looking forward to seeing your bridge go together.

Bob, good looking sand bin. Making castings look like wood looks so easy when others do it. Myself, I find it a challenge.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  08:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd, Dave, Greg & both Bobs.

quote:
I heard 'Bob' was down filing a 'grievance', but that besides that fact the project is 'on time, and maybe under budget'

Jim, this has indeed been a inexpensive build. So far, everything was 'in stock' and pulled off the shelf or out of the scraps bin.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bruce, lots of color in your boxcar conversion, but very credible. It's going to make a small yet noticeable scene.

Michael, I have pulled those green shingles out of the drawer several times on previous builds, but have always opted to go with a more muted color. This time they just 'looked right' to me. For the space that I have in mind, I needed to keep the depth of the structure down to a reasonable level. Thus the choice of a long narrow loading dock on the rear instead of an addition that protruded further out.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  8:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work progressed well on the front side of the structure. I added window shades, rafter tails, lamp, vent pipe, stairs, and even two LP looking out the side windows. All that is left are signage, a few more detail items and a bit of weathering.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  12:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just spent the last hour catching up on all the great projects. Everything is very inspiring.
Unfortunately due to work commitments I haven't been able to start my project but I hope to get at least something done or at least started soon.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 02/08/2017 12:32:46 AM

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  10:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce...First Class!!! A very interesting storage building.
Dave

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  11:13:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to get caught up. Lots of great projects. Norman, that loco looks great! An unusual piece of equipment.

Where is the LV reefer, Michael? :-) The Meat plant is progressing nicely.

The boxcar project looks great, Bruce. I know what you mean about the green shingles. But, they look perfect.

Chuck

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  5:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got my LED order in-house, so it's back to work on the Jefferson Depot.

While my roof fit lines are quite good, nothing ruins a project like light leaks at joints, so I decided to baffle the roof with some strip wood painted black:

I got a nice wide light cone from both a standard LED with the end filed off and a surface mount LED, but the start of the cone is some 8mm lower with the standard LED, which makes a difference with the limited roof-space of the depot. So I went with the surface mount:

I tried a bunch of different diffusers, but got the best results with tissue paper (as in model airplanes, not Kleenex). That was a bit of a relief, as I didn't look forward to trying to glue either wax paper or milk-jug plastic. The front edge is glue to the roof, and I glued a stiffener across the back to keep it from sagging into the interior.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  5:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
' Bruce, that is a great looking office shed and an all around beautiful build'..Nice professional job'..

Jeff, looking forward to seeing the lights on'..

Ted

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  6:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

I have just finished my project!

This little project was a lot of fun!

Greg Shinnie

I really like your project build. Quick question. Is this in HO Scale? If so, what is the overall size of the shoe? I found one that is 2 inches high and 3.75 inches long...is this too big for HO?

Edited by - jaynjay on 02/08/2017 7:08:26 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  7:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John, I'm glad that my little shoe house has inspired you to give one a try yourself.
Yes my scene is in HO scale, the bronzed baby shoe measures (without the added roof) 3 inches tall by 5 inches long.
So your shoe is a little smaller than the one that I used.
However I don't see why a smaller shoe would not work, it would just be a smaller shoe house that's all.
I would love to see what you cobble together!

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 02/08/2017 7:40:49 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  01:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well a little progress.
A work bench;

Here's some interior views;

And a couple of exterior views;

At this point the sand house only needs a couple of ladders (one of which is drying) to be finished and its on the the Tool shed/guard shack.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Edited by - railman28 on 02/09/2017 02:08:52 AM

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  05:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the sand house, Bob! I particularly like that you can see the drawer carcass below the broken top of the bench.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Page: of 46 Topic Next Topic: The Southside Hotel from Imagine That Laser Art  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000