Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 44 ]  [ Total: 51 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 49

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  6:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Catching up . . . .

Jeff, good job on the depot. I can't remember whether you said the paint colors are authentic, but in any case they are very appropriate.

Larry, your coal dock looks great. Structures like this require a lot of care because everything is out in the open, visible to the observer.

Bruce, your repurposed boxcar and office make a good marriage. The owners have kept everything in good shape.

Jim, I'm so impressed I suppressed depressed puns. I confess I am tempted by 3-d printing at home, having used CAD programs in the past.

A very interesting group of models.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  6:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat idea Jim! The depressed car looks good.
Dave

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  7:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little more progress on the 1:48 fence company build.
Roof and concrete covered dock added. (sorry about the glare but it is too cold for outside photos)

Roof is Canson Board covered with shingles made from construction paper.
Painted the construction paper with various gray and brown acrylic, cut into .375 strips and notched various widths into the strips. After installation streaked shingles with weathering chalks.
Time consuming but I think the shingles were worth the effort.

Concrete roof made from a piece of foam board and covered with concrete textured paper. The columns are .375 dowels covered with a different concrete paper.

Wood loading deck and elevator lift is next.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  7:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Don't worry about a little glare, this model is awesome! I wish I had the room for O Scale.

Jim

pingjockey
New Hire

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  8:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thaks to all for the kudos. It was a fun project. That simple looking structure contains about 230 pieces of wood.
Likie Michael said, everything is hanging out for all to isee.

Larry

~=~=~=~=~
We had too much time a while ago, but not enough time now. - Chris Ledoux

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  9:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! Dave, you haven't got much done! All kidding aside, far more than me, as of late. Looking mighty merry.
Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  10:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Indeed, your shingles look like a lot of work, but they are worth the effort. They give the roof a lot of texture and add to the overall character of the building.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  11:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back again... I've a little more to show tonight. I built my first metal truck kit, a Campbell 1914 Ford stake truck and painted it.

On January 22, I showed this picture of the front portego with four posts.

Upon assembly, I noticed the two posts closest to the front of the round, main garage building, were going to be in the way of the mounted doors. So, I had to remove two of the posts. Picture below is without the two posts.

I decided to make this garage a Sinclair station, as shown.

I've also been trying to add lights to this before I mount it on any base. I do have grain of wheat bulbs, but I find them hard to diminish the brightness. I stumbled upon some LED Nano lights at a Hobby Lobby craft store and purchased a set to try. I like the fact that you can dim them and no soldering is needed, for "dummies", like me.

So, in fooling around with this, I like the low-light effect, but I need to play with it a bit more. One hub, as you see on the package, can light up to four buildings. They give a generous 24 inches of wire from the hub to the light tip. This could be useful where you might want to light up a whole street of buildings. I guess everything has it's querks andthose of you who do solder, my hat is off to you, but for me, I will go this route for now.
One more, then on to the base.

Thanks for looking.

Rich

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  06:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, yes the depot colours are authentic for somewhere around 1901 through to abandonment. (It was red/green before that.) Here's a shot from 1943, about 6 years after abandonment:

Dave, the roof on the fence factory looks great! Definitely worth the effort.

Still waiting on lights before I can roof the depot. One of the drawbacks of living in Ireland....

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  07:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Your project is really coming out great.

Haven't had much time to praise everybody's project but it looks like a great pool of talent producing another award winning challenge build. I sort of back out on this one. I got very interested in my module build for TT scale, so I'm pursuing that at the moment.

Keep the great work guys. It's very inspiring to look at all the nice projects being built.

Bernd

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  09:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some seriously great projects progressing here everyone!

I've had my N scale models on hold temporarily whilst I push on with my HO scale layout expansion. I'm not sure if that would fit into any of the categories here, but I'm documenting it in the Mid Scale Layouts forum if anyone is interested in taking a look. :)

-Dan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  10:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, The Gas Station came out neat.
Dave, That roof looks fabulous.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  11:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd and Bob for the nice comments. Hopefully I can get more done this coming weekend.
Rich

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  2:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, thanks for the awesome comment. I also don't have room for the O scale models so I build for them my son.

Rich, thanks for commenting. I think I'm getting too slow with my builds but each of your post on the excellent garage with the super car reminds me to get moving. Thanks for the lighting idea...looks like something I can use.

Mike, thanks and I'm glad you like the shingles.

Jeff, thanks...always nice to hear from you. Hope you receive the lighting package shortly.

Bob, glad you like the roof.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  3:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Rich, thanks for commenting. I think I'm getting too slow with my builds but each of your post on the excellent garage with the super car reminds me to get moving. Thanks for the lighting idea...looks like something I can use.

Dave,

I thought when I saw those lights in Hobby Lobby, that I wouldn't buy them, then a thought to try them out occurred to me, so I said, "what to heck"! They do work better than what I had expected, especially from being so minute in size compared to a grain of wheat bulb, plus no soldering is required. Woodland Scenics is the manufacturer, but am I in no way affilliated with them, just like them.
What one would need is explained on the box back. one set of JP5700 (hub + 2 lights) @ $19.95, and one set of JP5760 (connecting cables) @ $9.95
You can buy a power source too, but I just cut off one end of the connecting cable, and hooked the wired ends to a cheap train transformer instead. I may get another hub to expand down the road. Additional lights come two to a pack @ $9.95 a pack. I like the fact that you can dim them individually.
You could probably find somewhere to purchase them on a google search, if no one carries them closeby you. Anymore help needed, just ask.

Rich

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000