Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast
Page: of 49

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  10:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Mike, nice progress. Tel me about the chimney. Did you scratch build it?

Bob, thank you.

Yes, the chimney is scratchbuilt, the core from styrene strip and the brick veneer some Slaters Plastcard (a British product) I had leftover from a project.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  10:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

You still have a couple montawhs, Mike. It looks good. Stairs are always fun.

Chuck

Chuck, thank you. Stairs are certainly a lot more fun for me since I picked up that jig.

Things will slow down when I start shingling the roof and glazing ~ thirty windows and doors.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  11:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
The stations looking good. Like the colors and design.
Dave

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  11:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Your build has crisp sharp corners and lines. A well built model.
Dave

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  07:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

A question about the stairs, Mr. Hohn...

Whether using a jig or not, I cannot imagine how you would produce those zig-zag stringers without splitting the wood?

ek

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  07:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, thank you. Last year I did a clinic for our nmra division on scratchbuilding with emphasis on clean straight and square construction. Since then I've felt obligated to follow my own advice. It is something I work hard at.

Kyle, in the past I would have said I cut the stringers very carefully, but in this case I used the stair stringers from Rusty Stumps.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  08:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boxcar is now up on its foundation and there is access via the Rusty Stumps loading ramp.

Next part of this project is to scratch build a small office for this enterprise that will sit against the boxcar just to the right of the ramp.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  10:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

I see you're starting to ramp up this intriguing project. Nice work. I like the way it looks.

That's one nice ramp kit you built.

Mike

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  1:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
I like this build...neat idea!
Dave

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  3:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, the puns are just great. They bring a chuckle to my day. Too fun.

The modeling continues to inspire, and I continue to make pre-progress on the coaling tower (finishing kiddo projects before I start my own).

Great work, everyone. You who are building decks should have great abs and strong backs after all that planking.

I am especially impressed, Jeff, with that shot of the bald reader sitting in the station. You have placed figures and bits very realistically.

Glad there's a couple months left,

Galen

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  3:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, My slant on your ramp. You've done a fine job there. I have several memories of my forklift sliding down and struggling up concrete ramps that were wet and muddy. I would of loved to have one that was so well built. (and yours' looks good too!)

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  7:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galen,
I thought the same thing about Jeff's bald man in the station window, too cool!
Every on-going project presented thus far is interesting, each in their own right. Too many to comment on each one.
Rich

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  08:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, the walls for the office which will be attached to the boxcar shell are cut and the window and door openings are in. The door is from Tichy and the windows are from a stash of old Campbell windows that I still have laying around. The siding is board and batten.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

pingjockey
New Hire

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  5:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the great modeling has been an inspiration for me to finish my coal dock. Because of the space available on my module, I built the coaling platform with 12 bents and not the 14 as I originally planned.

I completed all the bracing and added the retaining walls on top.

Larry

~=~=~=~=~
We had too much time a while ago, but not enough time now. - Chris Ledoux

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  5:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The coal dock looks great, Larry.

Bruce

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000