Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  1:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing as I'm working night shifts for the next few days, I went back to working on some cardstock structures for my HO scale exhibition layout - as I can make pretty good progress on these on my lunch breaks (can't really bring wood stain to work!).

I'll come back to my N scale stuff once my shifts end, I think. :)

-Dan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  1:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I was able to get a lot done on my sand house.
I departed from the instructions a bit. They called for building the platform in a prototypical matter. I choose to build the legs, then lay out the boards for the deck and glue the stringers to the deck and then the legs to the stringers. Confusing?, Here's a picture to help;

You can see some of the guild lines I added to the template so that I could line up the stringers straight. Note the the straight edge I used to line up the deck boards straight.
I then added the strips of legs after straightening one that had developed a curve in it;

After letting the glue dry for about 10 minutes I flipped the deck over, and added a little weight, checking to be sure the legs were straight to the deck and ground and left it to fully dry.

Oh and I obtained the the decks color by re-staining 1/3 of the deck boards with a brown alcohol & shoe polish stain and a 1/3 with a dark black A&I stain.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Edited by - railman28 on 01/26/2017 2:11:57 PM

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  3:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work Bob! :D

-Dan

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  7:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Good Work Bob,

Here is the West side scene.

ek

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  7:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks really great Kyle'. Just wondering how vehicles get in/out to pick up/drop off cargo. I don't see the road you had there before
your addition?

Ted

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  7:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

We imagine the road and additional parking is now out of side behind the structures... and thanks, Ted.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  10:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,Your platform looks pretty good to me even if you did depart from the instructions, you rebel.

Kyle, very fine looking scene.

I've not gotten a whole lot done since the weekend although I did get a start on the various platforms. In contrast to Bob's very large one, mine is very small:

Two more to go.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  12:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dan, I appreciate you comment,
Kyle, Thank you and your platform does a great job of dividing the 3d from the 2d scenery. And buy the way. I really like your backdrop painting.
And Thank you Mike, Your platform is worthy to be stood on too. Your prototype is such a neat building, I'm glad you're building it. I'm generally happy with my build so far but I'm thinking of repainting the roof.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  12:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

I departed from the instructions a bit. They called for building the platform in a prototypical matter. I choose to build the legs, then lay out the boards for the deck and glue the stringers to the deck and then the legs to the stringers. Confusing?, Here's a picture to help;

Bob,

I don't see anything out of the ordinary here, as a matter of fact, I've seen this way done in real life once, too. I was at a deer camp, where some guys were building a deck, upside down, because no one wanted to crawl underneath to attach insulation for the floor. They were in the process of lifting it, fully built, to flip it upright, when I came on the scene. There was only one guy holding it up on one side and several on the other. Needless to say, I had them cut it into two parts before flipping it.
I like the process you have chosen here, much as I would do. Good work.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  12:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle,

It appears you have made some extra room for another structure in the foreground. I like the way your scenery looks.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Keep plogging along, is a good motto. It will be good to see your scenery once you get this planted. Small steps make big depressions.

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  1:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by engineerkyle

Here is the West side scene.

ek

Hey Kyle, Nice looking west side scene, also, I guess you missed my question a few pages back posted 01/18/2017. "Is that dam a cast piece, or scratch built by you?"

quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Bob you are off to a good start with your structure, glad you joined in! I agree with EK, nice looking doors.

Nice looking start to some fine looking vehicles Bruce.

Rich, you know what I think of that build.

EK, great looking scene. Is that dam a cast piece, or scratch built by you? Inquiring minds what to know.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  1:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry Lewis. I didn't miss it I just forgot to reply. The dam is pink extruded foam, carved and painted with latex paint.

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  1:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, and the spillways are cork roadbed on top. I will post a picture later.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  2:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

quote:
[i]

Bob,

I don't see anything out of the ordinary here, as a matter of fact, I've seen this way done in real life once, too. I was at a deer camp, where some guys were building a deck, upside down, because no one wanted to crawl underneath to attach insulation for the floor. They were in the process of lifting it, fully built, to flip it upright, when I came on the scene. There was only one guy holding it up on one side and several on the other. Needless to say, I had them cut it into two parts before flipping it.
I like the process you have chosen here, much as I would do. Good work.

Rich

Thank you Rich,
I just used the method that Campbell uses for their decks except they used scribed wood and this kit provided strip wood which allow for greater coloring. I think I would of liked to have been there to see that deck flipped! Except I probably would of end up helping them do it too.
I added the cross bracing this morning. Kit called for it only on one end. I did both as both will be visible and I also added addition bracing that won't be seen for strength.
Like so;

So the build looks like so;

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000