Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: looking for small industry construction articles Topic Next Topic: You just lost everything, what scale do you start?
Page: of 49

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  11:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, no sense in stopping now'. Let your imagineering keep going'..
Those kids are having a ball, and the old lady is too'..

Ted in South Western, Connecticut

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  12:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Mike,

Man that is a long building...How long is it? Looks like at least ten inches or so. I wouldn't have any amount of space for something like that. Your base must be huge.
I have seen some of the kits that have long structures like this, but I tend to "chop" where needed rather than build such a long building. Yours does look nice with the colors you have chosen. Keep up the good work.

Rich

Rich,

Thank you. It is about 13 3/4" long. Pretty awkward to work on; it has forced me to keep my work table clear of clutter.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  12:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

I could make a "string" of these and populate my towns with hamburger joints like the one's from the fifties...

Rich

Rich,

I bet it would look so convincing, visitors would claim to have seen one.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  12:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, (and Mike)

I know where I HAVE seen one, well, something similar. I drive by it twice a day, five days a week, transporting my son to and from school. It is the World's Largest Redwood Tree Service Station in Ukiah, California. I don't have an image of my own to share, but a quick Google image search will turn up a plethora of great pictures. And yes, it is not a 'roundhouse' style, per se, but it is a round structure with a very similar overhang. Check it out.

btw, I am still hoping to contribute a build to this challenge...got a Jury Summons a while back and I do have to report to the courthouse tomorrow afternoon...so we'll see what happens this week! IN the mean time I am still thoroughly enjoying the progress all are making.

Galen

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  02:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, the garage is looking good.
Mike, Skewing the addition is a nice touch.
My progress;
The instructions call for sealing the scribed wood of the shed's roof to avoid warping with ether Pactra' clear flat or Scalecoat. I used Floquil flat finish. And, I found that when I tried to glue the gussets to the roof sheets I found that the the glue would not stick to the wood. I had to sand the wood so the glue was take. I wonder if I'm going to have the same problem when try to glue on the rafters.We'll see.
Here's an exciting shot of glue drying;

I also spent some time redesigning the tool house. I find one of my most useful tool is my my 3-1 scanner/copier. I copy the templates and plans that come with kits and use the copies to build the models. I also can cut and paste the copies to make new designs. In this case I just moved doors and windows. Here you can see my modified templates next to the originals;

I hope some of you find this information helpful.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Edited by - railman28 on 01/23/2017 02:31:30 AM

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  10:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, The building looks great. Big is right...in the 1:29 scale I model it would be approx. 42" long...WOW!!!

Rich...What can I say? One cool building and another winner! Nice job!!!

Dave

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  10:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Rich, (and Mike)

I know where I HAVE seen one, well, something similar. I drive by it twice a day, five days a week, transporting my son to and from school. It is the World's Largest Redwood Tree Service Station in Ukiah, California. I don't have an image of my own to share, but a quick Google image search will turn up a plethora of great pictures. And yes, it is not a 'roundhouse' style, per se, but it is a round structure with a very similar overhang. Check it out.

btw, I am still hoping to contribute a build to this challenge...got a Jury Summons a while back and I do have to report to the courthouse tomorrow afternoon...so we'll see what happens this week! IN the mean time I am still thoroughly enjoying the progress all are making.

Galen,

So what if you have jury duty, just take your modeling stuff with you and do it while the case is presented. Just think if the accused was initiated by us into doing models, he may never had gotten into trouble in the first place! Good luck with that...

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  11:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Rich...What can I say? One cool building and another winner! Nice job!!!

Dave

Thanks for the nice comments, Dave, Galen Mike and Bob.
I'm still working on this project and not wanting days to go by without showing some progress is why I posted. I'm currently working on a base which will be fully sceniced.

Rich

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  12:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Your meat packing plant is turning out very good. Good colors. Not only would it be too big for my workspace, but it would fill a large proportion of my layout....sigh.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  9:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, when I saw that skewed addition on the Sanborn map I just knew I had to do the same.

Dave, 42" would be impressive indeed.

Bill, thank you. I've seen the color combination on a couple of models and have been wanting to give it a try for sme time now.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  2:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Rich, (and Mike)

Galen

Well... I didn't take the picture either, but this has been done previously by others's so here goes..

The Redwood Station is a definite likeness

Rich

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  7:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I wait for glue to dry I thought I would share an update on my Sand House. I finished the roof;

And I started working on the platform the house and bin sits on;

That's all for now

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Yellow trim is a nice touch, Bob.

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  12:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making a little progress on the Fence Co. build. The walls are cut from .062" Canson Art Board.

View of the double chimney construction.

Applied brick paper, doors and Rusty Stump windows to the walls, then assembled the unit.

Roof layout with Canson Board.

Next...roof for extension and shingles.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  08:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's nice Dave, the classic style of architecture with the industrial windows.

Mke

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: looking for small industry construction articles Topic Next Topic: You just lost everything, what scale do you start?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000