Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  5:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, great start on the elevated coal platform. Coloring looks good.

Rich, the carport addition really ties this build together. Nice idea!

Greg, nice detail on the diorama. Great fixer upper to keep the crew busy!

Dave

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  5:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

I was thinking about cutting out a foot shaped base with toes.
To build this whole shoe house scene on.
Or just a shoe bottom shape, what do you guys think about that idea?
Can't be any crazier than a shoe house... right?

Greg

Either way Greg, that Mrs. Gordon's shoe house is a kicker! (I think that could be a pun intended).

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  7:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, Greg... that kid sitting right in the shoelace is too, TOO much!

A foot-shaped base might add whimsy, but it may instead detract from the scene, in which case a shoe bottom silhouette might be better. Why don't you cut a paper template of each and see what looks better?

Kyle

Edited by - engineerkyle on 01/22/2017 7:28:32 PM

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  7:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Larry,

Welcome and a question. I like the use of the styrene jig but never made one myself. Doesn't glue get on the jig eventually?

Kyle

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  7:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Got my camera back from the Detroit Auto Show's lost and found. It only took two hours.

Anyways, my challenge is done. Here are a couple close-ups of the warehouse on the West side. I'll post a little photo synopsis of this year's build in the "completed" thread soon.

ek

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  8:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Sketch to Scratch has entered a fun stage for me: with the basic four walls assembled, I now get to work on little architectural details that define the style and function of the building. In the last three days I have:
1) constructed the roof details
2) built four supports for the roof which stiffen the walls, define the roof ridge, and provide a firm base for the sub-roof
3) added a stone overlay (Rusty Stumps) for the foundation
4) partially built the oddly-shaped lean-to (not yet glued in place)

Next up: cut out and glue on the subroof, and build the various platforms.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

pingjockey
New Hire

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  8:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the encouragement all. I too like the way the color came out.
Kyle, rhe styrene fixtue is great for wood because it wood glue does not stick to it. I'm usually careful not to use too much glue anyway.
BTW, if your medium is styrene, make your form out of wood as styrene cement does not stick to wood.

Larry

~=~=~=~=~
We had too much time a while ago, but not enough time now. - Chris Ledoux

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  9:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks Larry,

As an impatient modeler, I use CA for everything, which sticks to everything, so jigs probably wouldn't work for me. By the way, it looks like you are off to a great start on your coal bins...

Mike, did you always plan on that shed being offset like that. It will be gorgeously eccentric.

Kyle

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kyle,

I have the dimensions of the shed from a Sanborn insurance map as well as a photo. Thank you for asking.

By the way, I am impressed by your dam site buildings.

Mke

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who didn't see my first post on my project, on the left is what this was and on the right is what it has become.

Greg - ( I know you'll find something to say, so here goes)!! Getting gas is not meant to be a pun, but anyone stopping by here can now get some...

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KYLE,

Nice overall finish and a nice project. Good for you!

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

You should have made a boat out of the shoe, then it could have been a "shoeboat"..,
besides, those lace holes look like portholes.
I too like the kid on the lace, but if the lace wasn't tied up, you could have a slide to the bottom for him...

lookin great.

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

That's starting to look very real. Something you might see along Rt 66 in the old days. Very nice.

Mke

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Man that is a long building...How long is it? Looks like at least ten inches or so. I wouldn't have any amount of space for something like that. Your base must be huge.
I have seen some of the kits that have long structures like this, but I tend to "chop" where needed rather than build such a long building. Yours does look nice with the colors you have chosen. Keep up the good work.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Rich,

That's starting to look very real. Something you might see along Rt 66 in the old days. Very nice.

Mke

Thanks Mike. Although now, you have given me the inspiration for another project. I could make a "string" of these and populate my towns with hamburger joints like the one's from the fifties...

Rich

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000