Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: looking for small industry construction articles Topic Next Topic: You just lost everything, what scale do you start?
Page: of 49

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  4:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still working on the beanery. The 'tarboard' siding was added, along with the corrugated roofing. Much work left to give it the dilapidated look that it was in, 60+ years ago.

Jim

Download Attachment: DSCN0687X.jpg
49.97 KB

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  5:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing as I love to bite off more than I can chew, I'm adding a couple more builds to the Sketch to Scratch category.

I was flicking through RMC whilst bored yesterday, and I came across a build article for a tool shed in last months issue. In the article it mentioned a master builder by the name of Jack Work, who wrote a collection of scratchbuilding articles in Model Railroader in the late 1950's and 1960's.

Having access to the digital archive online, I went through the magazines for about 15 years from 1950 onwards, and came across the original article, so I thought I'd take a stab at it myself.

I also found an article for a 2 story section house, which I'm going to have a pop at too. To build them though, I've had to order 50 2' lengths of 1/8" by 1/16" basswood strips, so until they arrive I'm stuck with just building the shells.

Using what little strip I had left over, I've managed this so far on the tool shed:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q7pcQk][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Q7pcQk]IMG_20170118_170026[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/147655492@N07/]Dan Beresford[/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RaqT8P][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/RaqT8P]IMG_20170118_170039[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/147655492@N07/]Dan Beresford[/url], on Flickr

-Dan

Edited by - danielb on 01/18/2017 5:19:51 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  7:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, lot's of more projects popping up! And, lot's of great progress on others that I've been following.

Great job on the critter, Louis! Neat project.

I've been busy at the workbench and computer. I've been using the computer to print out plans I drew for the roof of the handcar shed.

I diverged from the original RMC article. The article has windows at the peak of the roof. There is a prototype photo included in the article, but this area is in shadow. It makes more sense to me to have vents at the peak instead of windows, so that is what I built. I also added nearly 4 dozen rafter tails. Mind numbing.

The next steps are to paint the rafter tails and vents. Then, it is adding the shingles and a smoke stack to wrap it up!

Chuck

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  7:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck, I very much like the architecture of your handcar shed with all those rafter tails, complex hipped roof with vents, two types of siding, and the multi-mullioned windows. To my eye you got the roof angles right.

Louis, what to say. Outstanding.

Jim, suddenly you have a beanery.

And Dan, more adventures in modeling structures from the past. Jack Work was one of the best.

I find it interesting seeing several projects here either inspired or guided by plans in old magazines. Makes me want to keep my old copies around to browse through.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  01:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, what always brings me back to this forum is the scratchbuilding skills of so many members. This forum is the only real place where I see people actually building things anymore, instead of just assembling plastic kits.

It's very refreshing. :)

-Dan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  03:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jeff.

Louis, the critter came out so cool.

A lot of neat projects going on here. Everybody showing off their expensive clamps so here's mine;

and clamps removed;

and the exterior of the doors;

Now I raise the roof.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  1:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While studying that previous picture of the Jefferson depot eaves, I noticed that the transom windows over the freight doors had rain hoods. The kit includes rain hoods cast into the sliding sash windows, but not the transom windows.

So I scratched up a rain hood with a piece of 1x8 strip wood and a couple of hand-carved styrene corbels. The corbels haven't been painted yet:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  3:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The handcar shed is finished. I added Rusty Stumps shingles and roof caps. And, I found some Tichy smokestacks in my parts box.

Chuck

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  4:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Chuck.
Nice work!

Greg Shinnie

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  6:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chuck,

Great job on the roof sealant around the smokestack flashing!

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  6:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work everyone, truly inspiring. :)

My progress has been a bit all over the place, but I do have pictures. All models are N scale.

First, the to shed has a rough brick foundation:

https://flic.kr/p/Q8aLdE

Next, I've started building a small loading dock from plans found in an old copy of Model Railroader...

https://flic.kr/p/QaXX5e

Last, the previously mentioned 2 story section house, also from plans from Model Railroader...

https://flic.kr/p/Re1YUH

https://flic.kr/p/Re1fzn

-Dan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  9:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love watching all of these challenge build installments being posted by everyone.
I find myself checking the forum several times a day now, to see what's happening here.
Keep up the great work & posts everybody!

I managed to cobble a little more work together on my shoe house.
On the bottom on this bronzed shoe was inscribed the name "Gordon" not sure if it was a first name or a last name.
So I figured I'd call the old woman that will live in this shoe Mrs. Gordon, in honor of this shoe's original owner.
Mrs. Gordon, also has a pet dog named Buster, and I built them a doghouse for Buster to live in.
I've also added the gable ends to the roof, and shingled one side of the roof in real cedar shingles.
And dry brushed some white paint on the boot to make it look more worn.

And the doghouse, just had to be shoe shaped too, of course.

Tricked Ya!

So...I still need to finish the roof off, and once that is done I will begin making the base for this Old Lady Daycare scene, that I'm planning on doing.
Mrs. Gordon & Buster, are going to be in for it!

Greg Shinnie

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  10:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A pair of shoes! Very cool, Greg. I agree, lot's of great progress on everyone's projects keeps me coming back.

Chuck

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  10:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That shoe is so cool. And totally believable.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  10:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress everyone, and I too keep coming back to look.
Greg- those shoes are cool, you should have a hole in the toe!
Chuck - nice finish on your project
Louis- a lot of work in so short a time period, don't know how you do it, you must sleep at your workbench
Bob Harris- I have some of those expensive clamps and I use them quite often

I must say after reading these pages, I'm sure I probably skip over some of you but don't mean to, just forget the names when posting
Till next time...
Rich

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: looking for small industry construction articles Topic Next Topic: You just lost everything, what scale do you start?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000