Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast
Page: of 46

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  07:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dan,

That's an interesting structure, not often seen. It will make a great model in your hands.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  07:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

I like working with that thin plywood also. It is strong and as you say, no warp. I make sure I have a coupon when I go into the Michael's store to buy it.

Roof turned out really nice.

Mike

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  07:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That round roof took some doing. Nice Job.

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  08:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael - thanks, hopefully the structure will live up to your faith in me! :D

Rich - one of the many materials I have worked in is 2mm "Lite-Ply". I use it for all sorts, and it rarely warps - if ever. Thin ply is definitely a great material to work with.

-Dan

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  08:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, Kyle, and Michael thanks for your comments.
Although that 1/64's thick plywood is nice, I don't like the fact that I spent $20 for a sheet 12" x 24". And at Michael's yesterday, I noticed a sheet 6" x 12" for $7.99. Any cardstock or other thin material is good especially if you are adding the cedar shingles. I have also found that 1/32 wood sheets are good, if you are adding a wood border at the edges of a roof, to have something to glue to. I have also used picture matting material, a thin cardboard that works well too. Some of the latter has impressions in it that when painted, look realistic as a well-worn roofing.
Posting another picture of the octogon roof

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good looking projects making great progress in this build challenge. I'm liking it.

Rich,

Like that extra little top on the roof. Makes for a great handle to look inside. Nice job.

Bernd

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  09:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Good looking projects making great progress in this build challenge. I'm liking it.

Rich,

Like that extra little top on the roof. Makes for a great handle to look inside. Nice job.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd,

I used a piece of 1/2" copper tubing that was in my parts box, covered it with vertical 2" x 6" wood, and fashioned the top with more of the cardstock that was used for the roof paper. I think it turned out ok. I was going to put on cedar wood shingles, but can't do that with every building I make. I have to make some at least a little bit different.
Rich

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  09:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, wow I go away for a couple of days up north to shovel the cottage roof, and return to find much progress being done on everyone's projects.
Thanks for the nice comments regarding my shoe house!

Rich, your round garage and roof looks great!

Dan, your coal dealer looks like a really interesting structure, nice work on it so far.

Louis, nice to see your critter now has half a driver behind the controls.

Mike, your meat packing plant looks very well constructed.

Chuck, I think your going to be the first one finished here, with your nice maintenance shed.

Kyle, your project is progressing very nicely as well.

It's good to be back!

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  10:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Thanks for the nice comment.

I see that large pile of snow you shoveled from the top of your cottage roof. I hope when it melts you don't get water in your cottage.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  10:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan,

That's a nice looking structure. You have given me inspiration to fashion something similar using one of my models just by seeing what you have constructed. Are you modeling in HO or O scale? Is that measured pad in inches or half inches? Or, Thanks
Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  11:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a Testors Glosscote the decal was placed on the doors, and then a Testors Dullcote was applied over the whole Critter shell. Now itís time to install the windows.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  11:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,
Your critter model is shaping up nicely. Can't wait to see the completed model.
Rich

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  11:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, Dan, and Mike,
Each of your structures are unique and in the "difficult to build" category. Each of you are doing a great job...Looking forward to the final build.
Dave

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  12:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers everyone

Rich - it's in N scale, would you believe? The plastic trestle I've re-purposed is from the old, old, OLD Walthers "O.L. King Coal" kit. I think it was originally a Heljan kit, or if not I'm sure they've sold it under their brand at one point.

-Dan

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to build in the "sketch to scratch" category.
This will be a fence company that modified an old brick house and set up business. 1:48 scale

Page: of 46 Previous Topic: rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000