Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast
Page: of 46

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  12:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle,
Nice authentic group of buildings you have. Keep up the good work.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  12:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,
Excellent tutorial just wish you could print those templates in HO scale when posting so I can copy them.

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  09:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Louis,
Excellent tutorial just wish you could print those templates in HO scale when posting so I can copy them.

Rich

If for some reason you need to copy a template, and not sure what size it is, put a ruler in the template and blow it up or shrink it down until you get to the same size as the ruler measurements. You now have a proper sized template.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  11:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rich. I am using Badger Modelflex paints for the handcar shed. The lighter color is Reefer Gray and the darker is CP Gray. I am trying these paints for the first time. So far, I like them a lot. They flow nicely through the airbrush and leave a nice finish. I had to dullcote them after I painted them, since the paint has a glossy sheen to it.

Last night, I worked on drawing the templates for the roof. I printed what I created and put it together as a mockup. I didn't like it. It looks a little too flat. So, I reran my dimensions with the roof at steeper pitches and will see which one looks right.

Chuck

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  2:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the kind words, Rich...

Starting to add details to the distribution facility on the west side and the power-plant on the east.

Here is the finish loading dock ramp.

Walther's roof details. (I've always thought these looked a little oversized and clunky), but... they seem to work.

I got this idea from an image I found online. It looked like access to a TVA's dam's intake tubes, so I sorta copied it.

ek

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  3:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After taking F1 and F2 window templates and placing them on top of each other, I set them up against the Critter side, and slid them back and forth until they filled the window opening area, taped them together as seen in picture, and used it as the final template for the double ended body. Then two windows were cut from clear plastic windshield sheet, using the newly made template for each side. And, the F3 template was used to cut two front windshields for each end on the Critter. Also, the L&R decals were made up and printed for the Critter. A gloss coat was sprayed onto the Critter sides and once dried, I’ll put on the decals and glue in the window material using Canopy Formula 560 glue.

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  6:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kyle and Rich,

Thank you for your kind words.

A few photos . . .

For once I planned ahead and made accommodation for the foundation early in the construction. What you see will be covered with Rusty Stumps stone foundation overlay.

Meanwhile, I am impressed by the other projects under construction here, Rich's round garage; Greg's shoe; Louis' push-me-pull-you; Kyle's dam-side structures; Chuck's handcar shed based on plans from an old magazine. All are unusual, seldom seen, or just plain eccentric. If it is not unusual enough with its large length to width ratio, my meat packing plant will soon take a turn towards the eccentric with a lean-to addition that shows up in the photos and map. Stay tuned.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  7:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Mike.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  7:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the old saying, “waiting for paint to dry” I decided to cut up the original Trolley Car Operator and make him fit into the Railcar Critter. After a cut about mid-section he fit nicely into the Critter.

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  7:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thank you.

Construction appears to be on schedule. It won't be many months before I can accept shipments from the west coast.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/16/2017 7:18:34 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  8:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your meat packing plant is coming along nicely, Mike. Being a LVRR fan, I liked seeing the old time reefer parked alongside it.

Nice to see someone...or part of someone....will be operating your critter, Louis.

Nice detail with the intake tube access, Kyle. I like the ramp, too!

Not a visual update on my handcar shed. I mocked up 5 different iterations of the roof and chose the one that looks best. Right now, I am working on cutting the pieces for the roof.

Chuck

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  10:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  10:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Your meat packing plant is coming along nicely, Mike. Being a LVRR fan, I liked seeing the old time reefer parked alongside it.

Thank you, Chuck. In future, I'll make sure to include some of my other LV cars in photos.

Mike

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  05:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found some time this weekend, from interruptions, to build the roof on the round garage..making the framework and cutting the 1/64th thick plywood roof. I could have used cheaper material, but I like the way this lies super flat with no warping.

This is the sub roof with roof wood attached.

This is the roof completed, no weathering yet.

Rich

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  06:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely in on this one! :D

I've started building a coal/general merchandise dealership based on Consumer Fuel Co in Mariansburg, WVa. - from an article in the March 90 issue of Model Railroader. Here are the plans:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q2uGXu][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Q2uGXu]Consumers Fuel[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/147655492@N07/]Dan Beresford[/url], on Flickr

And my progress so far:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RftC3h][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/RftC3h]IMG_20170116_224245[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/147655492@N07/]Dan Beresford[/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q2up7Q][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Q2up7Q]IMG_20170116_224310[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/147655492@N07/]Dan Beresford[/url], on Flickr

-Dan

Edited by - danielb on 01/17/2017 06:49:45 AM

Page: of 46 Previous Topic: rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000