Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 49

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  08:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks really good to me, Louis.

Rich, your round garage is coming along nicely. Sorry to hear about your crisis.

I'm just amazed at the interesting projects in this challenge. These challenges seem to bring those out.

Chuck

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  10:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm just getting caught up on this topic now.
Louis, what a terrific idea...And, you're doing an excellent build. Kudos.
Greg, I'm impressed with how you've worked the window and door entry into that shoe. Very nicely done.
Rich, I really like your garage. Keep it up...

Bob

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  11:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot to comment on your shoe house, Greg! A thousand pardons. Looks like great progress.

I'll just go back to my four-walled structure, now.

Chuck

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  11:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, Philip, Chuck and Bob many thanks for your comments and following along with this build.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

mountaingoatgreg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit mountaingoatgreg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As always there is some very impressive work going on in this challenge! I am really enjoying this thread with all the creativity!

I am continuing to work on the Drinkwater place, with the next step to finish the scenery around the garage and then I can finish up the main house.

Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg
http://oregontrunk.blogspot.com/

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  12:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your nice comments Chuck and Louis.
Much appreciated.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  12:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mountain goat Greg,
I like that roof on the garage! Well thought out.
Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  3:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First paint color applied. I used Tamiya Color TS-3 Dark Yellow, which my local hobby shop had in stock. I think once a light black wash is applied over this color it will be close enough for what I’m looking to achieve. Of course this pictures are brighter that seeing the Critter in person, so it is hard to see the color match.

Louis

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  4:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Chuck

Those walls are the sharpest I've seen, Chuck ...

As for my own challenge, the creation continues ...

... and on the East side I'm starting to add details to the hydro-electric power plant. I cut some intake tubes out of 1/2" PVC...

... then painted them silver. Not sure if the catwalk out over the "drain" works, so I am also trying it as the dock.

ek

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  5:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kyle. Your hydroelectric plant is looking good!

Here is an update on the handcar shed. I assembled the walls. I am starting to work on the roof by creating some drawings. I don't think the drawings in the article are correct, based on some trigonometry rules I applied. So, now I have to work out the dimensions and redraw them on the computer. Not the most fun thing to do.

Chuck

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  5:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ll be cutting out the windows from the car kit templates, onto plastic windshield film. I had to make a flip over picture of the side window templates, so I could cut and splice where needed.

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  11:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the four sides of my meat packing plant almost ready to assemble.

The four lengths of 8" X 8" bracing extending below the ends act as bracing and as attachment points for gluing sides to ends and foundation to the the base. Some more trim to a couple more of the larger doors as well as additional bracing and the walls will be ready to glue together. Meanwhile I have started the tedious job of painting window castings.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  11:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I would think cutting out all those openings would be tedious... but it looks like it was WELL WORTH IT.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  12:10:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,
With all those windows there's no wonder why anyone can't see in, it would take more than a week to wash them!
Great job.
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  12:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,
I like the colors you have chosen for your station.

Rich

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000