Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: harry callahan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  3:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

One trick for removing wax from metal and glass candleholders is to put them in the freezer. Hardens the wax so that it can be popped off with a fingernail. Doesn't help you much does it? Maybe a plastic bag of ice?

Your shoe looks great. You could kick yourself with it, sort of look like John Cleese spanking himself in Fawlty Towers.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  4:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That critter is looking like the real thing Louis'. Mighty fine work'

Greg, if you have the small razor blade paint scraper used for taking paint off off glass windows, that should work fine on the oven to remove the wax...

Ted

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  4:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael & Ted, for your kind words & handy tips.
I just finished the oven cleaning job, using Easy Off, a plastic scrapper and lots of elbow grease.
Looks as good as new! Now back to my shoe.

Greg

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  4:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a course steel wool pad on top of the wax, melt the wax and when it cools, lift it out in one chunk. Then take the little missus out for supper.

Jim

P.S. the shoe is looking good!

Edited by - BurleyJim on 01/14/2017 4:53:33 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  5:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

As to the best idea, this forum is chock full of them everywhere one looks.
None about cleaning wax from ovens.

Greg Shinnie

Greg,

Listen to Miyagi-san: "Wax On, Wax Off."

Good luck with the process. That sounds like actual work....

The shoe looks cool, though!

Pete
in Michigan

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  5:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Greg and Ted for your comments, and following along.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  5:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sent to the paint shop for the first primer painting to be able to see the flaws that need to be filled and sanded. The Critter was sprayed with Model Master White Primer.

Louis

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  5:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Sent to the paint shop for the first primer painting to be able to see the flaws that need to be filled and sanded. The Critter was sprayed with Model Master White Primer.

Looks good Louis. How do you like the Model Master paint's. I'm slowly running out of Floquil paints and am looking to switch for something to use in my new air brush.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 01/14/2017 5:43:16 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  8:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of you fellas' are doing such fine work on your projects!!

I finally got the shop windows completed without a hitch.

I am installing a workbench with tools on the back wall below the windows. It is a resin casting. I thought about heating it in a microwave oven to bend the casting "round", but do not want to break it, so instead, I built a tool rack just below the shop windows, and will place the workbench in front of that later.
The tool rack has been covered with boards.

Beginning the roof, which will be removable... first a sketch.

The outer vertical boards on the old tank were higher then the boards on the inside, as shown in earlier pictures to accomidate the roof sub-roof. Framing has begun.

To make this sub-roof stable, cross-members are needed.

A light will be needed and it has to be installed between the sub-roof framing, that will be permanently attached to the building. This is so it will not be disturbed when handling and removing the removable roof.

The lighting wires have been installed and run through a pipe that is attached to the back wall.

This last picture shows the sub-roof framing flush with the top of the building, and adjacent to the fixed lighting. The sub-roof framing is removable, the lighting fixture is not.

This is where I am now, the wood will be weathered and I am ready to frame the roof next.
Thanks for your comments.

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  9:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Rich.

Bernd

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  9:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Looking good Rich.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd. I am currently working on framing this roof. I might have another update by Sunday so stay tuned.
Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  11:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd Thanks for the comment. And, I really like the Floquil paints, mostly because I was use to them, and stayed with that kind of paints. But the Model Master paints seem just as good.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  11:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming along with that structure nicely Rich. Looks good! Will your roof be flat, or a cone shape like a water tower type roof?

Louis

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  11:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Coming along with that structure nicely Rich. Looks good! Will your roof be flat, or a cone shape like a water tower type roof?

Many thanks for your comment Louis, I didn't have much time to respond to the other builds yet.. Your critter car is really nice.
We have a family crisis this week and have been on the road juggling between hospitals and work. Modeling time is minimal.

I plan on a octogon , removable, peaked roof. I was thinking about doing it in two levels with a smaller peaked roof at the top including celestory windows. By adding the second roof the lighting would look cool. We will see.
Rich

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  01:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Projects! Louis, looks like you got the panels pretty straight!

Philip

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000