Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: The Southside Hotel from Imagine That Laser Art
Page: of 47

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  3:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

You always amaze me, Louis.

An update from me. Last night, I cut the major wall components and fitted them for the windows and doors. I am using Tichy #8042 for the windows and #8053 for the doors. I chose them since the window arrangements were similar in look. Today, I cut the trim pieces for the wainscoting. I still have some work for the corner trim and to modify the doors. I need to shorten the doors to allow room for track to go inside. I thought about just leaving them as is, but it won't look right.

Once I have the corner posts and door modified, it will be time to clean off the parts and send them to the paint booth.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for following along with my Railcar Critter.

Your structure walls are looking good, and changing the doors now will be much better move. As you say it wouldn't look right, so fixing it now will make it look better in the long run, and keep you from saying "I wish I did" like I have in the past with other projects.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  3:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The window frames, dashboard and hood sections are in place, and held with my expensive twist tie clamps, as the window frames dry to the Critter side sections. Next step will be to cut the roof sections approximately center area, and then match them up, and re-glue the two pieces into a one piece roof section.

Louis

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  5:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the ingenious clamps, Louis! I modified the doors, which you can see in the photo below.

Yesterday, I painted the wall components. And, today, I assembled the walls. I need to trim up the ends of a couple walls with a little light sanding, yet. And, I will paint the backsides black. I like to do that as well as add view blocks when the structure takes shape. So, those will be my next steps before tackling the roof.

Chuck

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  5:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tons of great modelling going on here. I'm yet to make a start, as I'm finishing off some other builds, but will join in soon.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  5:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto, Rob. I've backed off plans to scratchbuild, and returned to the original plan to build the Alexander Coaling Station kit. Ordering LEDS for the gooseneck lamps. But first, while they are in the mail, that gives me time to repair my boys' helicopters. Once that is complete...

Until then, I continue to enjoy the terrific modeling on this thread! Great work, all!

Galen

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  7:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Love the ingenious clamps, Louis! I modified the doors, which you can see in the photo below.

Yesterday, I painted the wall components. And, today, I assembled the walls. I need to trim up the ends of a couple walls with a little light sanding, yet. And, I will paint the backsides black. I like to do that as well as add view blocks when the structure takes shape. So, those will be my next steps before tackling the roof.

Chuck

Are those doors going to be closed all the time Chuck, or able to be opened to see equipment?

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  7:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like things are going to work out on this project. The first half of the roof was cut and glued into place, once this side dried the second roof section was measured and cut, then glued into place as well, finishing the roof process.

Louis

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  8:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They will be closed, Louis. I will have a handcar sitting outside of the doors.

Nice job on the roof, too!

Chuck

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  06:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Not bad on the roof, Louis...

I figured it would be tough to match the seam. I'd say yours will be seamless when finished.

EK

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  10:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck and EK!

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, looks like your running a chop shop there, nice work.

Chuck, your off to a great start with your maintenance shed.

Hi everyone, well I put my bronzed shoe into the oven yesterday.
Everything was going okay until I saw smoke coming from the oven.
I don't know how they go about making bronzed shoes, but it must involve wax at some stage.
I carefully placed the shoe upside down on a cookie tray, thinking that way none of the polymer clay would be touching the tray.
This turned out to be a bit of a mistake.
It seems that the shoe inside of the bronze kinda melted.
Leaving a pool of smoking wax on my baking tray and dripping down onto the oven floor.
The baking process took about 30 min. and cured the polymer clay hard.
So that part worked out fine, I just need to clean up the melted wax mess in the oven today.

I painted the shoe flat black, and will weather it a little further down the road.
I also started my sagging roof for it using cardstock glued to the base that I showed you earlier.
And cut some vertical lines into the sole foundation to look like stones.
I painted it grey, and glued it to the bottom of the shoe.
Here is how it's now looking.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 01/14/2017 12:20:17 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  1:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, The car is looking good. Do you want a seamless roof? Shouldn't there be a weld up there? How else would the shops had built it?

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  2:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Louis, The car is looking good. Do you want a seamless roof? Shouldn't there be a weld up there? How else would the shops had built it?

That's a very good thought, and observation Bob!
Looking back at the Backwoods Miniatures model, they have the seam showing on theirs.
I just might leave it. Saves on filling and sanding.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  2:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg thanks! And that is a great looking shoe home. I'm sure you didn't like the melted wax mess. But it is better than loosing the whole shoe into one big blob! That shoe has to be the all time best idea anyone has come up with.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  3:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Greg thanks! And that is a great looking shoe home. I'm sure you didn't like the melted wax mess. But it is better than loosing the whole shoe into one big blob! That shoe has to be the all time best idea anyone has come up with.

Louis, it was your build of your railcar critter, that most inspired me to join in with this challenge.
So thank you for that inspiration!
As to the best idea, this forum is chock full of them everywhere one looks.
None about cleaning wax from ovens.

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 47 Topic Next Topic: The Southside Hotel from Imagine That Laser Art  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000