Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Southside Hotel from Imagine That Laser Art Topic Next Topic: Dirty Stuff
Page: of 45

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  07:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

That is one nice looking building.

The rest of you guys are producing some nice looking projects.

Bernd

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  09:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, your station looks great on the outside & on the insides.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  09:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the Pilot and Footboard brackets I used Evergreen Scale Models strip styrene #8206, .022” x .066” and formed a shape of the brackets as in picture below, making four (4) outer brackets, and also making four (4) “L” shaped inner brackets using the same material. The second picture shows the brackets in place, on the one end of the Railcar Critter. The white cloudy mess is where I use Zip Kicker on the Zap-A-Gap CA. It always seems to leave this coating. In this case it speeds up the drying of the CA, and after painting the entire bottom, and brackets with black paint it won’t show at all as seen in the last picture.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  11:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd and Greg!

Louis, I once tried to paint something I had CA'd without waiting long enough or using a kicker. The paint brush wicked up all the super glue and set instantly.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  11:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now to secure the Critter body to the frame, I glued two styrene tabs onto the bottom insides of the body shell. Then drilled through the styrene frame, the wooden deck and into the styrene tabs at the body. With two self-tapping screws I secured the Critter to its frame. This will make for an easy shell on and off for maintenance, repairs, adding a decoder, sound decoders or lighting.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  11:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeyjey

Thanks, Bernd and Greg!

Louis, I once tried to paint something I had CA'd without waiting long enough or using a kicker. The paint brush wicked up all the super glue and set instantly.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Yes Jeff I'm sure that would happen. Had my fingers do that many times.

Louis

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  11:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, the station is looking so sharp.

Louis, you're doing a fine job and getting an interesting rail car there.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  1:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You always amaze me, Louis. I like that station, Jeff.

An update from me. Last night, I cut the major wall components and fitted them for the windows and doors. I am using Tichy #8042 for the windows and #8053 for the doors. I chose them since the window arrangements were similar in look. Today, I cut the trim pieces for the wainscoting. I still have some work for the corner trim and to modify the doors. I need to shorten the doors to allow room for track to go inside. I thought about just leaving them as is, but it won't look right.

Once I have the corner posts and door modified, it will be time to clean off the parts and send them to the paint booth.

Chuck

morten1996
New Hire

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  2:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit morten1996's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Bernd - sorry for the delayed answer - the 4S is in 1/29 scale so app. two feet long.

After several hours of sanding and filling the shell(still not enough) and cutting out all windows, doors and luver openings (already applied the portholes) I gave it a first priming to detect surface flaws.

Regards
Norman

From the shop:
http://large-scaledieselmodels.blogspot.de/

Edited by - morten1996 on 01/12/2017 2:31:02 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morten1996

@Bernd - sorry for the delayed answer -

Not a problem. I have lots of time.

quote:
the 4S is in 1/29 scale so app. two feet long.

That's a nice looking model. IIRC there was only one built of this unusual engine?

Bernd

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  4:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys build way too fast...

I'm going to build a gas station flat from the 50's era. Inspiration came from Chuck D's Red Oak garage.

It will be 1/2" scale. Wood, cinder block, brick or a combination...don't know yet. No sketches or pics except what my mind comes up with. Just as long as it don't go blank.

Keep up the great work guys, I'll catch up eventually...hopefully...maybe

In memory of Mike Chambers

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  4:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the Yardmen’s Pilot handrails I used Roundhouse handrail posts #02977, and K&S .020 wire Stock #499 for the rails. The post and wire rails were placed into A-West Blacken-it for about 5 minutes to blacken, then taken out, and put into a water container for another 5-10 minutes to stop the blackening affect process. Two holes were drilled with a 1/32” drill bit at each front end to mount the handrail posts. Then Zap-a-Gap glued in place, and the wire rail super glued to the posts.

Louis

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  5:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marken

...Inspiration came from Chuck D's Red Oak garage....

One of my favourite builds of all time!

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

mountaingoatgreg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  1:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit mountaingoatgreg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be working to add a few structures for a Display/Shelf Layout I have started with the plan to complete at least a 1'x1' area. I had the house started and I had started scratch building a garage for another project, but figured it would work better here.

Here is the layout I will be working on, I am starting in the far left hand corner working towards the front and right.

Here is the house and detached garage

Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg
http://oregontrunk.blogspot.com/

Edited by - mountaingoatgreg on 01/13/2017 1:54:58 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  2:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now for my least favorite task. Sanding and fitting in the window sections, dashboard, hood onto both ends, and cutting and matching up the roof so it looks like it is done as one piece. Anytime you chop-up, kit bash, or change a model we are bound to run into some type of problem.

Louis

Page: of 45 Previous Topic: The Southside Hotel from Imagine That Laser Art Topic Next Topic: Dirty Stuff  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000