Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 49

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  11:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engineerkyle and Bob Harris - It appears that you both build like Louis - with everything laid out neat and orderly! Did you both go to school with Louis? Looking good.
Rich

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  01:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Rich... ME? Neat and orderly? Think you've got the wrong guy.

But... I'm honored to be group with these two masters.

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  07:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

ek

engineerkyle
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  08:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Morning Gentlemen,

I gave myself an extra challenge on this part of the project. Because I liked the way the maintenance platform juts out to meet the parked train, I thought it would look cool to have some retractable metal ramps that could be slid out to meet boxcars.

Slick idea, but it didn't look right. The tracks looked way too high, interfering with the loading and unloading. I looked at mounting the ramps under the wood, but all but a glimpse of the metal platform was hidden. Next I thought to cut a hole in the wood so the metal panels would be flush, but when they were slid out in the loading position, there was a dangerous hole in the dock.

I gave up on the idea of the ramps being retractable, as it didn't seem very plausible in the first place, and decided to mount them flush by cutting some holes in the dock.

This took time, a new razor blade and several light passes. It was a gentle operation, because there was no support under the structure and I was risking damaging it.

By the way, I made the surface of the metal ramps with this unusual metallic textured paper I found Jo Ann Fabrics. I glued it onto sheet styrene and burnished it with graphite before weathering.

Here you can also see the effects of an overall black and a little rusty wash. I will finish this piece by highlighted it with some chalk and a spritz of Dullkote.

EngineerKyle

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  12:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I constructed a wooden Beam Pilot using a scale beam, and 4” x 12” boards attached below, with a foot board on each side of the coupler head for the yard workers. Slower speed locomotives and equipment often had a pilot with steps on it to allow yard workers to ride on the locomotive, these were called footboard pilots. Footboard pilots were outlawed for safety reasons in the 1960s and were removed. Modern locomotives now often have front and rear platforms with safety rails where workers can ride. Where mine is the late 40’s and early 50’s Era, and a backwoods Railcar Critter, it is acceptable for my equipment to have this setup.
The picture below with the red line behind the Pilot and Footboard, denotes where I will be constructing a metal brace out of styrene for both Wooden Pilots.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Mr Skratch
New Hire

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  1:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Skratch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich & Mike - thanks for the window feedback!

Rich - I don't know who Louis is.....maybe I should find his builds to gather more info

I messed with the roll roofing....did a quick mock up and worked great, however not impressed with the final output - good thing it is a temporary roof card. I think I will try some tissue paper next and see how that texture looks.

I am steadily roofing today - 40 mins of work has yielded 1 half complete. That is from nothing to "nailed" in place.

I am using cedar food wraps that I cut into varying strips. I then cut them to 1/4" lengths (I know this not true HO scale, but is what I am currently experimenting with to hand lay cedar shake.) I am pleasantly pleased so far, but I need to figure out the ridge cap and how I plan to trim out the rake........I will post the weathering process I plan to use when I get that far.

*Never let your current abilities limit your vision - Mr Skratch*
Jason D. Reece, AIA - Overland Park, KS.

Edited by - Mr Skratch on 01/11/2017 1:52:33 PM

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  2:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason;

Looks fine to my eye. Weathering should take care of any visual dissonance.

RDA

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  2:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason,
Your shingles look great to me too. When I use the cedar shingles, after the first row is applied, I start the second row leaving a reveal of about 18" or so. Then each successive row about the same, and they come out looking like yours..
Great job.
Rich

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  3:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice cedar Jason and an interesting build.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  6:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that I completed my last project, I can start in on the RR-L winter challenge.

I need to scratchbuild one more structure to get my NMRA Achievement Program certificate for structures. It does not need to be evaluated, either. About 40 years ago, I built a handcar shed based on an article in RMC. It was built completely from cardstock. I wanted it two tone, and the only colors I had around were a flesh color and earthy color. But, not too bad for a teenager with no budget. You can see it here behind the signal bridge in a photo I cropped.

And, this is the article in Feb 1974 RMC:

I will be using Tichy windows and doors, except for the windows on the roof. Those will be scratchbuilt. The structure will be styrene with Rusty Stumps shingles.

Chuck

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  6:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

That will make a very beautiful and eminently railroady structure. Neat project.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  7:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Skratch

Rich - I don't know who Louis is.....maybe I should find his builds to gather more info

Jason you told Rich, you don't know who Louis is.
Look at the post prior to yours, and you will know Louis.
Yes! That pain in the a-- Louis.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  7:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck great scratch build project choice. And, good luck with your NMRA Achievement Program certificate.
My Son tried to get me to go for those NMRA Achievement Program certificates, don't know why I never did.

Louis

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  7:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck:

Any chance you could post the plans? Looks like a fun, quick build...specially with the double hip roof and the wainscoting. I have plans for a similar design for a small station which would look well with the section house. PM me if you like.

Thanks,
RDA

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  06:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, everyone!

After glue-up, I had a bit of fettling to do to get all the roof angles to line up. And of course I broke a couple of the glue joints while sanding, but they were easy enough to re-glue.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000