Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: davec ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: building permits Topic Next Topic: Fire-Damaged Engine House
Page: of 20

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  05:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich, some good info. You gave me the thought to look up some bed frames from the early 1900s, and here are a few of what I found:

While searching for shipping methods, I also came up with these pictures.

Pop quiz: Can any one tell me what these three ships had in common? Hint; it involves me.

They are the HMS Queen Mary, HMS Queen Elizabeth and SS United States.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been working on the 2nd story windows most of the day, and yesterday. I changed the swing out to a slide up, 2 will have wood to block it in, and 2 have fans in the lower section. Also, I had blackened all the castings I will use, but the 6 chairs in the kit had no rear legs, the best one only has about 3/4 of the rear legs. So I can't use those. The last picture shows the windows painted.

Tony Burgess

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  09:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
I believe those chairs were purposely made to be "broken" and used as junk. I put them in a pile to be tossed or burned. Windows are looking good!
Jeff

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  09:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
I believe those chairs were purposely made to be "broken" and used as junk. I put them in a pile to be tossed or burned. Windows are looking good!
Jeff

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  3:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Compton

Tony,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that was what I was going to use them for anyway, once I saw that. Seems a waste of a chair if they made them (Sokol's that is), where all they needed to do was replace the rear legs. In those days, it wasn't a throw away society as it is now. I don't think.

Tony Burgess

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  4:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting idea, include castings so crude they have to be cleaned-up to be used as passable junk?

RDA

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  04:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rda

Interesting idea, include castings so crude they have to be cleaned-up to be used as passable junk?

RDA

Yes, in fact, the vents he included, as castings, are not to my standards either, so I will be making my own, and the castings will go to a junk pile. That's the problem I find with kits, you either have to accept what they supply, or ditch them and do your own, or find another 'brand'. One reason I like scratchbuilding, I can control what I do and how it looks.

Tony Burgess

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  06:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Can't you file the short chair legs flat to the bottom of their seats, and either add some small diameter pipe or wood legs? Then throw the rest in a pile? Just a thought. Nice progress.

Rich

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  06:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a great build thread. Very nice, sir! :D

-Dan

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  3:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, yes, I could, but it isn't worth it to save a few chairs that, apparently, were designed for the scrap heap. I think they will look better there anyway. I have others I can use if I wanted to use them.

Dan, thank you, appreciate the comments.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  4:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, nobody has even guessed what the ocean liners have in common. So I will just tell you. I sailed on each one; from the England to the US and back, and back to the US again. In order: Queen Mary, SS United States, then Queen Elizabeth. This was back in the 1960s.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  4:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

Well, nobody has even guessed what the ocean liners have in common. So I will just tell you. I sailed on each one; from the England to the US and back, and back to the US again. In order: Queen Mary, SS United States, then Queen Elizabeth. This was back in the 1960s.

I was going to say you got seasick!!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  7:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

Tony,
The only thing I could think of is that Lord Nelson went down with all three at the battle of Trafalgar but that is obviously not right because your first name is not Horatio.
Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  9:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Tony'..Very nice'..

Ted

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  03:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I like your train of thought and reasoning. But also, there would be a huge time gap between. Some 155 years or so.

Ted, thank you.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: building permits Topic Next Topic: Fire-Damaged Engine House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000