Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HO Figures Suitable For The 1930s Topic Next Topic: Scratch-building Graves - 2017 challenge
Page: of 17

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  12:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony

Nice detail on the inside. Looks like business will be booming in a few short weeks.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  1:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, your build looks excellent! It is crisp, clean, and realistic-looking. My only critique (and it is minor) is that the cracks in the concrete look too random. Cracks usually emanate from a stress point and, I don't believe, will just happen in the middle of the wall. If I'm wrong, then so be it. Regardless, viewed from a layout-point-of-view this will not be noticeable. I hope my builds will look as good.
Cheers,
Dave

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  4:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Compton

Tony,
I really like the look of that interior and the wood piles you have created. You are giving me some great ideas on how to finish up mine once it gets "planted" on the layout [which is under construction]. Here are a couple pictures of mine. It is not quite up to par with your build but I enjoyed the challenges of this kit and the way it turned out. I'll keep following along for more inspiration!
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I am glad you like the interior. As for yours, first, thanks for sharing, second, man, I love the colors you have on your building. Looks like it's seen a few more years than it would like. And at least you have a layout going, I still have to start on mine....one day

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  4:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, thank you. Let's hope those weeks won't be too long.

Dave, thank you, I appreciate the comments, always welcome some thoughts even if critiqued. But as for the cracks, that was already laser cut in the wood from the kit. I think most of it will be hidden anyway. If I were to scratchbuild it, I would have made plaster molds. Break it up some, re-assemble, and have it look really worn out, but still strong enough to support the building. Hmmmm..., now I have an idea for another build. Thanks, you just helped spark an idea.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, here is the idea you gave me: Mattresses!

Thought of how to do them yesterday. I used Sculpy. Flattened the stuff in my pasta roller machine to .055" thick, cut to size, about 7 feet (scale) long with varying widths, poked holes in them with a pencil, and used a toothpick to add creases. Also added, with same toothpick, a seam along the sides and other side details. I've just baked them, so when they dry I will paint them.

Here was the idea for the actual mattress:

Here is a detail of them stacked, and maybe a future transport for me to do:

Here is a rundown on how I did it:

And now "assembled" into stacks.

Download Attachment: 03.jpg
186.52 KB

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 01/14/2017 10:30:17 AM

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  1:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those look very good Tony. You keep giving me some great ideas for adding details to mine, I'm saving those pictures! And as you stated, many of those foundation cracks will be hidden by other details.
Jeff

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  1:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Brilliant! What a great way to build them...

Bob

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  3:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff and Bob, thank you so much.

Tony Burgess

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  11:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool!!!
Neat way to build a mattress.
Dave

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  06:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Very cool!!!
Neat way to build a mattress.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I thought so too. Someone on Facebook gave me the idea of putting a mattress in an alley way or something, be a cool detail, maybe a homeless man sleeping on it.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  09:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Those mattresses look great. And I also like that photo you found. Lots of interesting details.

I've been wondering how furniture was and is shipped; it is so easily marred. Are parts like headboards and frame shipped in heavy card boxes? If so you could make fast work of filling a stockroom with them.

Mike

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  10:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Those mattresses look great. And I also like that photo you found. Lots of interesting details.

I've been wondering how furniture was and is shipped; it is so easily marred. Are parts like headboards and frame shipped in heavy card boxes? If so you could make fast work of filling a stockroom with them.

Mike

Thank you Mike.
I was looking on Shapeways for bed headboards; not many that look good enough to add to my model (not to my standards!), and most I saw I could make myself. There are some beautiful ones in a larger scales, but in HO, they look too plain and a little bulky. Be nice to have some that looked like a nice brass headboard. But, back in the day, the most common, I believe, would be a simple small wood board similar to this one. Also, notice how the mattress hangs over the edge. Part of where I got my thoughts for my mattress.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 01/14/2017 10:24:29 AM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  10:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just made a correction to the 4th photo above showing the steps on doing a mattress, with a not on using a Phillips screwdriver.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  7:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

The things I do in the name of research. I went to a local furniture store where we had made a purchase and asked them how furniture was shipped. The accommodating clerk took me back to their warehouse area and showed me, and allowed me to take a photo:

Apparently, furniture is generally shipped from the manufacturer in boxes, and then the local store unboxes it, looks it over, covers it and trucks it to the customer or the customer picks it up. She said this has been the way "for a long time" which was to her twenty years. For me a long time is early 20th century.

She also said that some vendors ship without a box but well padded and protected.

In any case, I suspect boxes might have been used for quite a while, maybe even crates in early days. Depending where you are in the supply chain the backroom could have a mix of packed and unpacked furniture.

By the way, I think your photo is of a mid 19th century bed, maybe Shaker. The mattress is going to be straw or feather-filled and would not have come from a factory.

As an aside, the building I'm doing for the 2017 challenge is a meat packing plant. Even if I leave a door open I am not going to have interior details. My vegetarian daughter and vegan son would be appalled. I did a little background research and stopped almost immediately. The fun of research only goes so far.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/14/2017 7:49:11 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  8:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

I was looking on Shapeways for bed headboards; not many that look good enough to add to my model (not to my standards!), and most I saw I could make myself. There are some beautiful ones in a larger scales, but in HO, they look too plain and a little bulky. Be nice to have some that looked like a nice brass headboard. But, back in the day, the most common, I believe, would be a simple small wood board similar to this one. Also, notice how the mattress hangs over the edge. Part of where I got my thoughts for my mattress.

Regarding the HO scale brass headboards, I have two that are HO scale. Perhaps you could fashing some to go along with your mattersses from wire, especially with your talents.

The bed on the left, headboard is 4'6" tallest post, 3'-0" at center height, with a 1' high cloth skirting, footboard is 4' - 0" high tallest post and 2' - 6" at center high, both headboard and footboards are 3' - 3" in width.

Bed on right headboard is 4'- 0" high by 3'-3" wide. Footboard is 3' - 3" wide by 3' high.
Hope this helps. If you want better pictures, I can email them to you.
Looking great so far.

Rich

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: HO Figures Suitable For The 1930s Topic Next Topic: Scratch-building Graves - 2017 challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000