Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Traintinker ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: Palmetto Brick Company R.R. Bridge Build
Page: of 21

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  2:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice tutorial Tony, & nice build as well'..Your decking looks flawless'. As always, excellent work from you'..

Ted

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  2:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ton,
You seem to be progressing full steam ahead.
One of the reasons why I scratchbuild is the number of dock parts included in these kits is tremendous and hard to imagine cutting out all from the sheets without breaking them. It is easier for me to make them from strip wood.
You seem to have mastered this. Great work.
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  2:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis, Ted and Rich,
Thank you all for your kind comments.

I'm starting to understand the chaos of this kit

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  6:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing I do is have water, soap and a paper towel near my brushes, every time I finish using the brush (paint or weathering powders), I wash it out, wipe it down, dip in the water again, twirl it in the "brush soap" available to artists, and clean the brush good so colors won't mix the next time, and I always have a fresh clean brush.

I fixed the gap between the wall and dock, just a .03" strip of wood did the trick.

To weather the strips for the cross members, I separated them from the sheet and weathered them by sticking them with tape to some popsicle sticks. (I inadvertently forgot to do this before I separated them, so this was a quick and easy solution)

I cut pieces as needed, and glued them on. This dock is also glued to the foundation, and will do the rest in the same manner.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 01/02/2017 06:23:11 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  09:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Tony. Great coloring on the building and deck.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  10:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Looks great. You switch easily between use of powders and paint according to the circumstances.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  10:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Nice job Tony. Great coloring on the building and deck.

Thank you Jerry.

I have finished the assembly of the deck, and although they mentioned noting about painting the foundation, I thought it be a good time to do so.

But first, adding all those cross braces is a lot easier before gluing the deck to the foundation. When you do get that done, there are a few braces that need adding after the decks are all in, to tie the individual decks together. The main 2 reasons for doing the bracing first, easily handled, easier to turn the individual deck around to work on than the entire foundation piece, and 2nd, it is too easy to knock off what you have already done. having said that, when you go to put in those last few corner pieces, watch where your hands go. I knocked off 2 sections at separate times, as careful as I was, it is easy to do, fortunately, easy to put back too. One thing I need to do to the posts is blend the colors better, it looks more like peeled paint.

As for coloring the foundation concrete color, I have some Dr. Ben's worn concrete, a solution like A/I solution, rather than a paint. I painted two layers and let dry, about 5 minutes.

Then I added some pan pastels. I started off with a dark grey, not a complete coverage, just dabbing around, but not 100%. Then I came back with a lighter neutral grey, topped with a white grey tint, then again with the light grey. Doing all that gives it depth and blending, as well as variation. Well, I think so, anyway. After that, I used my Rembrandt pastels to add a few shades of dirt.

The only thing I do not like, they etched a 'T' on the concrete section. Why???? Now that area will have to have something to cover it later. It could have been omitted, or even just placed under the deck area. But not out in the open.
Even if you just lay some corrugated siding or wood strips over the area when in the ground, that would be enough, even a 55 gallon drum would barely be tall enough in itself. Foliage will work too. But something has to be done.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 01/02/2017 10:43:24 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  12:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I was not aware of that Dr. Bens stain. Looks great. Something new to try. I've never been completely happy with my attempts at coloring concrete.

Looks like that T has you singing the blues:

Well, 'T' for Texas, 'T' for Tennessee
'T' for Texas, 'T' for Tennessee
'T' for Thelma, the gal that made a wreck out of me

(The sometimes irrelevant, always irreverent) Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  12:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

I was not aware of that Dr. Bens stain. Looks great. Something new to try. I've never been completely happy with my attempts at coloring concrete.

Looks like that T has you singing the blues:

Well, 'T' for Texas, 'T' for Tennessee
'T' for Texas, 'T' for Tennessee
'T' for Thelma, the gal that made a wreck out of me

(The sometimes irrelevant, always irreverent) Mike

LOL, Your good for a laugh , yes, I have several of his stains. I always add to them, as far as further coloring, as concrete is not always just 'clean'. I am contemplating some pipe or something coming out of it, with some rust streaks, just an idea for now.

The next step is gluing the structure to the foundation. I say, whoa there, cowboy, not so fast, what else can I do first. I have this idea I am kicking around for now, so I will leave it at that for now.

Tony Burgess

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  1:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, what do you think about a piece/chunk of concrete missing from erosion where the T is ? Dr Ben's concrete stain was developed to go on brick walls for mortar. Then apply paint over it. Works great. It is another great product from the Doctor'..It sure looks real natural on your foundation. Nice blending Tony'..

Ted

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  2:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Tony, what do you think about a piece/chunk of concrete missing from erosion where the T is ? Dr Ben's concrete stain was developed to go on brick walls for mortar. Then apply paint over it. Works great. It is another great product from the Doctor'..It sure looks real natural on your foundation. Nice blending Tony'..

Thanks Ted, a good idea.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  7:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I have the building assembled to the dock and foundation, and now I see the "T" will be hidden later with a detail below a freight door.

What I wanted to do was to add some interior detail, as it hardly makes sense to me that a lot of action is going on outside with all the doors closed. It's like their waiting for the owner to come and open the place.

I took a brouse through Google pictures to find pictures of the interiors of warehouses. I was looking more for details I can cut out and paste inside. Haven't done this before, so I am hoping it will turn out right.

First I had to resize the pictures to an acceptable scale. These are some I had found and used:

The boxes I cut out and made a rough looking rack to place them in, after adding the back wall and a wood floor.

After that all was in, I started on making some lumber piles and crated boxes like the resin detail parts supplied in the kit. Nothing wrong with the kit parts, I just like real wood.

There's a casting in there right now, but I don't like it much, so that will be gone. I'll come up with something else to replace it.

So there you have it, for now. I hope to elicit some response, good or bad, about this. I probably won't be adding any light to the interior, so for the most part it will be sort of dark, all I really want to do is add an element of some activity inside as well as outside, and to offer something a little different to the viewer.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  7:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

It certainly looks like Sokol's is in business. Very nice.

Do you have some kind of mechanized dolly to move large boxes around? (I don't know what they are called.). Are you going to keep Sokol's as a mattress and furniture company? Do you need items fitting that line of business?

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/10/2017 7:39:14 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  04:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

It certainly looks like Sokol's is in business. Very nice.

Do you have some kind of mechanized dolly to move large boxes around? (I don't know what they are called.). Are you going to keep Sokol's as a mattress and furniture company? Do you need items fitting that line of business?

Mike

Thanks Mike, yes, I am going to keep the same name. And I hadn't thought about associated items for the business, but sounds like a good idea. Did you have something in mind? Would headboards, frames, etc. be a good part of the detail?

As for the hand pallet truck, yes, I was going to build one. Or two. They've existed since 1918 I think.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 01/11/2017 04:06:21 AM

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  10:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
I really like the look of that interior and the wood piles you have created. You are giving me some great ideas on how to finish up mine once it gets "planted" on the layout [which is under construction]. Here are a couple pictures of mine. It is not quite up to par with your build but I enjoyed the challenges of this kit and the way it turned out. I'll keep following along for more inspiration!
Jeff

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: Palmetto Brick Company R.R. Bridge Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000