Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: So I wanted to make white decals...
Page: of 21

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  08:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your wagon, Tony.

I have a magnetic strip for my tools. It holds them vertically, I like your under the shelf arrangement better, so I'll probably change mine.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  4:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob and George, thank you.

Yes, that magnetic strip is handier than you realize. I have a couple of shorter ones in the garage, and I decided to bite the bullet to get this one. I like them.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  11:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Really nice job on the wagon. And a great start on the roof access.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  3:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Really nice job on the wagon. And a great start on the roof access.

Mike

Cheers, Mike.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  4:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting caught up Tony. Some very nice detail really like the wagon great job.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  4:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Just getting caught up Tony. Some very nice detail really like the wagon great job.

Thanks Jerry. I have the smaller mattress pile, and found out it is a perfect fit, I just shaved a little shaving off the second one up so the sides wouldn't bow out, and I have progressed with making the springs and seat, so it is coming along nicely.

Was going to use it under the cyclone, but changed my mind. It looks very much like a previous picture I found and posted here.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  12:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, except for a little touch up here and there, I have the wagon finished. The horses were out back being fed and resting until the mattresses was finally loaded and secure. I decided to add the hitching for the horses, and that may not be 100% correct, but in this scale, I have done what I think is a good representation. It was tedious enough.

It came close to this one, just a single horse rather than my 2 horse hitch. And I see a cover over the seat. The wagon is a little different, and the mattresses are stacked higher and more of them, but I wanted to get the flavor of it, not do an exact copy.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  12:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This picture is about the actual size.

Tony Burgess

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  1:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does storing the tools on a magnet induce any magnetism in the tools? Once in a while I use my files on steel...

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  1:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Does storing the tools on a magnet induce any magnetism in the tools? Once in a while I use my files on steel...

Possibly. To make something magnetic, you have to rub the tool across a magnet to re-align the electrons, in normal steel, they are all over the place, inducing magnetism, as in a magnetic particle machine (non-destructive testing [NDT] process for detecting surface and slightly subsurface discontinuities in ferromagnetic materials such as iron, nickel, cobalt, and some of their alloys) will make that object magnetic by aligning all the electrons; we use a Mag machine at work on every part we have, except those made of non magnetic alloys like aluminium, brass, inconel, incoloy, etc., where we do liquid penetrant inspection, so normal use may induce a slight amount over time, as some of my tweezers are magnetic, so I bought a couple of non-magnetic tweezers for when I want nothing to stick to them. But this can be un-done, by running the tool through a magnet again, as we do at work sometimes.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  7:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I agree, you captured the look. The flavor, as you put it. Very unusual, just when it seems there's nothing new to model.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  9:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

I agree, you captured the look. The flavor, as you put it. Very unusual, just when it seems there's nothing new to model.

Mike

Thanks Mike, Once in a while, I see something that inspires.

Tony Burgess

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  11:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Terrific job!! I can't imagine working on such a small piece.
Dave

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  07:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are going to need to beef up the suspension on the wagon to carry that nickel.

Bryan

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  4:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, thank you. I try not to imagine it too much myself, either.

Bryan, the nickel is a lot lighter than you think After all, it's easily supported by the wagon, it's getting it up there, that's the thing. I think I would need to enlist the help of Chester's crane.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: So I wanted to make white decals...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.76 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000