Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: Traintinker ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: Palmetto Brick Company R.R. Bridge Build
Page: of 21

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  1:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I love the new wall. Excellent job on the roof supports too.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  2:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I missed the tarpaper roof and bit of grass sprouting at the drain. very nice!

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  4:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob and Bill, thank you.
The extra supports just looked like it was necessary.

The grass was an inspiration from one in real life.

I have colored the cobblestone road, and glued it onto some blue insulation foam, along with the building, and some dirt. I'll get some pictures when it looks more complete.

One thing I thought of a few minutes ago was the lights the kit supplied. I don't remember at what point in the instructions they were to be added, actually, don't see that part at all, so I may have gotten ahead of myself.

No worries, though, the lights can be used around at the other doors.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  6:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I have been away for a while, and come back occasionally to view this project again. I like the addition of your cobblestone road and its coloring. I think it fits in there perfectly, along with the new brick and stone wall. It makes a better look and feel to something original. Way to go!

Rich

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  9:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work Tony! Enjoying all the new additions.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  3:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, glad your back, I hope everything is good with you.

Carl, thank you.

Tony Burgess

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  4:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work ! the brick work really adds to the look!

Philip

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  4:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Nice work ! the brick work really adds to the look!

Philip

Thank you Philip. It was a thought I had rather than make a mold to make a cast concrete wall, just to be different.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  4:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are very few castings available to use for external exhaust vents on industrial buildings. I have searched Shapeways with no avail, which if there were some, would probably be the most detailed. Strange why that hasn't been made yet (that I know of).

Anyway, the few castings that do exist are not very big, and really, to be totally honest, leave a lot to the imagination.

The one in this kit is a prime example. It isn't very big, and for a building as 'elite' as this one, deserves to have something better.

So, fortunately, I have made a thing or two (no I don't work for Farmers ) and decided to make my own vent. After much thought, I came up with a decent design that looks good, but not too over the top for a structure of this size.

I hope you like it. I also show what the kit casting looks like along side the unfinished vent I made. I spray-painted the vent a light grey by Reaper paints, not having an aluminium color that would look right, and I was going to weather it anyway. You can see I made it out of styrene.

Tony Burgess

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  7:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

That's fantastic Tony. Nicely done...

Bob

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  8:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

That's fantastic Tony. Nicely done...

Bob

Thanks Bob.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  9:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I really like the vent you built, particularly the way it comes out of a boarded-up window and is supported away from the wall.

You did sort of go on and on about the lack of appropriate castings before you got down to work, but I guess you had to vent.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  10:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice venting. I like it.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  4:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

I really like the vent you built, particularly the way it comes out of a boarded-up window and is supported away from the wall.

You did sort of go on and on about the lack of appropriate castings before you got down to work, but I guess you had to vent.

Mike

OK, now that is funny. And thank you.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  4:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Nice venting. I like it.

Thanks Bob. And I take it you are referring to the model and not my venting as Mike so aptly put it!

Tony Burgess

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: Palmetto Brick Company R.R. Bridge Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000