Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Ambitious Project ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: So I wanted to make white decals...
Page: of 21

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  02:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very nice , but i miss the ladys were are lookin in to the sun .
exelent work

Frank The Cowboybilly

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  04:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboybilly

very nice , but i miss the ladys were are lookin in to the sun .
exelent work

Thanks Frank.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  12:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome work!

Philip

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  12:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony ,, I really like what your doing with the roof. Having the edges with angle makes it all work, well done!

Cheers!, Joe

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  3:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Philip and Joe, thank you. It's good to hear that I am doing something right

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  3:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a choice now, on the roof support on Sokol's model, I made an alternative for the concrete foundation that supports the roof overhang, and originally I was going to make one like the kit piece (shown) in plaster, to better represent the concrete look. Any thoughts?

Tony Burgess

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  4:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'd definitely go with your idea. Looks great...

Bob

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  5:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very nice!

Philip

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  5:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every change you have made has enhanced the kit! This one looks like another winner!
Jeff

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  6:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I think it's a big improvement.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  6:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, Philip, Jeff and Mike.

Thank you all for your kind comments, I guess then I have no choice, the new wall it is. I liked it, but it is great to get the opinions of others before I go ahead.

Thank you again.

Tony Burgess

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  8:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hands down, I agree with the others. What a fantastic looking change. Go with your ideas, you never seem go wrong there!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  8:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I think the support may be too luxurious to match the rest of the structure'...I'v been studying, and studying, and studying one more time before commenting.. That is a high priced good looking support wall....Just my HO. Your many respondents say go with it, But I think it's too rich. Good research on the tanks'...and Tar Beach'...

Ted

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  06:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis, thank you.

Ted, I do agree with you, but I will be dirtying it up some, add some growing vines, and some vegetation will hide some of it. I'll go ahead with finishing it without attaching, as I did with the shed and skylight until I really liked it. I don't always just go ahead full steam, I mull around the idea sometimes for days or even weeks. Things may change, and I do appreciate your thoughts; another on Facebook had said about the same thing.

We'll see how this progresses. I was going to make another solid concrete wall as well, and compare the ideas, I just hadn't gotten around to that part yet.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  1:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have finished the roof supports, not doing anything to them on color except a strong solution of A/I mix. I have added some 'cement' to the top of the brick columns to encapsulate the post.

I veered away from the .094" stripwood for this wall, going with a beefier 1/8", as I think it warranted it more. When I placed the former against it, it looked a little spindly. I used the .094 on the deck side though, mainly because it was the size of the notches, plus the upper floor weight would look like it could be supported with the smaller ones.

I turned the building upside down resting on V-blocks to work on the installation of the deck side supports. Much easier to do this way, and enabled me to do it in place, rather than make a separate support system and fit it to the building, and having to keep in aligned to the notches in the deck.

I cut the posts to rough length (cutting to size after all is finished with close cutting wire cutters), and placed them in position using scotch tape to hold them in place. I used, not the supplied .094 top piece, but 2 lengths of 2x10's from my stock instead, for the roof side. It not only looks better (in my opinion) but was easier to construct. I also cut the 45 degree supports for the posts, deciding to add some extra at 90 degrees to the posts shown on the instruction sheet. More support.

I had placed two pieces cut to .620" (for my application) to act as spacers for positioning the support.

I have some paving stones from Monster Modelworks, which I will be cutting to size and using for a paved road through there. I don't want to use track here, possibly on the back side (?), not sure yet.

That's it for now. I think I'll start on doing the base, but I still have a way to go.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 02/20/2017 1:06:05 PM

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: So I wanted to make white decals...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000