Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HO Figures Suitable For The 1930s Topic Next Topic: Scratch-building Graves - 2017 challenge
Page: of 17

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  4:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nelson here ya go!
I too was drawn to the odd shape I love these types of structures. Bar Mills are good kits but the instructions are not the best!. You will notice the building is not on part of the layout as sadly I dont have a spot for it so it sits on a shelf for now:(

Cheers!, Joe

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  4:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi Joe, thanks for posting your model. You did a great job, and I love the colors. The weathering is just about right. Nice detail on the open freight door, your the first one I have seen that has done this on the few models I have seen.

Don't worry about not being able to put it on a layout. I don't have one myself (yet), so ALL my models are as dioramas right now. And when I do get a layout going, not all my models will go on it. Mostly because I don't think they will fit. If I were you, get a piece of plywood, and some blue insulation, the size of it your choice, and build a mini scene all on it's own. It is amazing how much detail one can add if that is all one is dedicated to at the time.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  09:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update. I am not going to add gravel to the rooftop, but tarpaper. I saw a picture on line I was looking for to see how it was going to look, and I liked it.

This is still a unfinished look at what I am doing, needing to weather it, add drain pipes, etc., but for now, I just wanted to share.

first, the prototype. I have several pictures, but this gives you the idea:

Now for mine:

The wall trim or coving started out with a 3/16" sheet of basswood, where I used my router with a 3/16" cove bit to make the curved section, then used the band saw to cut off the sections. The tarpaper was a sheet of craft paper painted a black/grey, no weathering (at this point), and I hand painted the tar in, since I wanted that rough look. I had done a test piece on some scrap first, and after weathering, it all tones down nicely, so it will look better. I even saw one roof where near the drain pipe in one corner, some grass seeds had sprouted and grew there.

I thought that might be a neat piece of detail. What do you all think of that bit?

When I get it finished, (the buildings are not even added or glued down yet), (and I should add a little tar around the building and skylight base), I'll post some more.

In the mean time, we are going to go out to eat to have an early valentines dinner, rather than do it on the 14th. Because that would not be possible, and be too crowded and too pricey anyway.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  10:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Roof looks very realistic. I like how you worked the roofing up the walls, which I believe is the correct way, or at least one way that it is done in the real world.

One place I worked overlooked a flat roof on which a tree was growing. I think they removed it before it was more than about 10'.

Mike

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  10:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike, I'll try to leave off any trees. Unless it's potted. I did notice, among other things, that, as I had said earlier, that the flashing or tarpaper also went up the sides of the structures on the roof. Here is a picture showing just that, taken from a shot in New York. So I still have quite a bit to go. I think I'll add the paper to the structures prior to gluing them in. It's easy on the side walls, but maybe not so much on the skylight and shed.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 02/12/2017 10:49:36 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  1:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Limbs, no trees though.

That's a very informative rooftop photo for reference purposes. I like the worn spot in front of the door, and there's something different about the roofing around the access shack.

Mike

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
limbs, no trees! That's funny.

I have done more than I expected for this part of the day. I have glued down the 2 buildings, or shed and skylight, and added some spouts in 3 corners for water run-off. On those 3 corners, I will be adding downspouts on the building. Since there isn't any direct access from the front corner of the building for a downspout, there isn't any drain, and do you see the result? Weed growth! I knew it would happen.

Thought for Today: Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced. ~ Leo Tolstoy

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  4:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perfectamundo!

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  4:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One other thing, I don't think I will be adding a rooftop water tank. I had been doing a little research, the tanks were added to buildings with 6 or more floors, as the normal water pressure could not get that high from the normal line pressure. Otherwise, the pressure would have to be increased, and the pipes would not be strong enough, and would burst. So, my structure is only 3 stories high, strike one.

The other thing, the little tank provided is too small for any structure (in my opinion), and a larger tank would be needed, and since a tank about 4 x 6 feet would hold about 1000 gallons, about the size of the kit tank, it would weigh about 4.165 tons (8330 pounds). So to have a larger tank, lets say a moderately sized one about 10 foot with a water depth of 9 feet, it would hold 5288 gallons, which would weigh a little over a staggering 44,000 pounds, not even counting the weight of the tank itself. This much weight on a wooden structure would cripple it. I think. Even one 1/2 that size would come through the roof. I don't think it could handle the weight. (but I am not a structural engineer) so strike two.

And from what I can find out on the internet, they didn't really have any water tanks on wooden structures, they all seem to be stone or brick structures, that could handle the weight. So strike three.

So there will not be any water tank on my building. But I do have room for many more details, and that will clutter it up nicely.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  4:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Perfectamundo!

Thanks Mike. Glad you like it.

Oh, and I forgot to add this photo:

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 02/12/2017 5:09:09 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  5:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, but who's looking at tarpaper?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  5:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Very nice, but who's looking at tarpaper?

What tarpaper Louis?

Tony Burgess

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  5:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Great way to top off this build! The roof is gaining more character with each post.
Dave

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  7:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Awesome modelling Tony. Congrats...

Bob

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  8:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave and Bob,
Thank you both, appreciate your comments.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: HO Figures Suitable For The 1930s Topic Next Topic: Scratch-building Graves - 2017 challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000