Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HO Figures Suitable For The 1930s Topic Next Topic: Scratch-building Graves - 2017 challenge
Page: of 17

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  6:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Details like that as well as the extra work you did on the rafters makes for a stronger structure. Also looks better. Very nice.

And you don't accomplish much without the occasional error.

Mike

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  04:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Thank you.

Mike, Thank you, and your right. It does look better, if you can see it, but like you say, it does make it stronger. On a fragile area like that, it is worth the extra effort. I could have used the kits laser cut piece, but the grain wasn't running in the right direction. And I was afraid it might be too fragile. And I didn't like the idea of sanding the sides to get the burn marks off.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  05:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been playing around with some placement ideas. I was thinking the water tower should be separate from a shed roof. The outhouse represents the entrance to the roof top. I will probably do a slightly larger water tank than the one shown. Maybe place it closer to the side shed wall??

Thoughts?

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  05:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a frame of reference, this excellent model is a picture I found on Google that was done just like the kit.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  07:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I figure you have about 240 permutations in placing the rooftop items, so how about you post a photo of each and we can vote.

Mike

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  08:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I don't like placing water tanks on sheds because they aren't built for that reason in the real world. My vote is the water tank placed as a separate unit.

Bob

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  09:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me I like Number 3

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  10:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
I also vote for number 3. Viewing the building from ground level or straight on will pickup most of the roof detail plus it looks logical for roof load distribution.
Another great build!
Dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  12:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too vote 3 but with the water tank on the corner of the building behind the shed so that it could get support from compressing wall verticals rather than all support from horizontal rafters.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  1:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
That roof is going to look awesome. I vote for 6 for the same reason Bob stated. I also like the skylights facing front to back and not side to side. (Or at least that is how I picture the building to be situated!)
Jeff

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  4:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everyone has come up with some great ideas and suggestions. Thank you. I believe I have narrowed it down now. I will be adding a larger tank, placed near a supporting wall, and a nice sized entrance to the building.

Thanks, I appreciate all who took the time to reply.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  7:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

As a frame of reference, this excellent model is a picture I found on Google that was done just like the kit.

Tony,

I can see that in comparison with the stock kit your skylights look a lot better and make more sense. Also very curious seeng the legless chairs on the roof.

Mike

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  04:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

Tony,

I can see that in comparison with the stock kit your skylights look a lot better and make more sense. Also very curious seeng the legless chairs on the roof.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I am thinking the chairs, with the back legs much shorter, would enable the workers to lean back and relax more, while the boss is busy elsewhere. Maybe with a mattress behind them...just in case

Tony Burgess

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  12:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nelson,, Nice job on the kit! Great progress, I have also built this one and found the instructions were the worst ever! I mostly used the elevation drawings and the pictures to complete it. I also slightly modified some of the build. If I recall how to post photos I can share some if you like.

Cheers!, Joe

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  4:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

Nelson,, Nice job on the kit! Great progress, I have also built this one and found the instructions were the worst ever! I mostly used the elevation drawings and the pictures to complete it. I also slightly modified some of the build. If I recall how to post photos I can share some if you like.

Thanks Joe, yes, the instructions aren't the best, for sure, they do jump around a bit. And they do tend to leave out some things, or touch on it lightly, where one feels like something was missed somehow. But, that aside, it is a cool looking building. Maybe because of it's unique shape.

I would be honored to have you post some pictures of your build. I look forward to seeing them. Maybe I might pick up on a fresh idea.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: HO Figures Suitable For The 1930s Topic Next Topic: Scratch-building Graves - 2017 challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000