Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Low light shots
Page: of 19

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  3:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Leave it to me to not do what the instructions call for....again...

I started on the roof shed first, (no pics yet, sorry) and decided to make it wider, and with a slanted roof. So new walls were cut, new doors started, and so on, but 1/2 way through, while taking a break, I was thinking about the sky-lights.

Changed direction and started to modify the skylights. As I was thinking about this, the windows are facing one way, so if the sun doesn't shine from that direction, no light would get through to the floor below.

So I made a more traditional looking skylight using the materials supplied in the kit.

First off, I took the side walls apart and chopped off the connecting pieces, shortened the height, and cut the depth back to match the height of the window frames, plus a bit.

I made the windows up, using only the laser cut part that would have been on the outside, stuck them onto some pre 'dull=coated' clear styrene, then added the windows, after painting everything of course. The only part I had to make was the front strip connecting the two walls after edge gluing the walls together.

The windows are dry fitted for now, I have to finish painting and weathering, but I like this design better.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  3:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Good for you Tony. That's the stuff that makes you an excellent modeller...

Bob

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  5:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tony...About the chairs supplied with the kit - I found the same problem with chairs supplied with the Bar Mills kit - Miracle Chair Company...All the chairs are worthless - identical to the ones you got. That isn't a normal part problem from Bar Mills. Thankfully, I have a wack of laser cut chairs from elsewhere to use...

Bob

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  9:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, that kind of problem, with the chairs, shouldn't have been put in the kits. If nothing else, they could have supplied chairs from other suppliers. Not acceptable in my book.

But on another note, I won't let bad chairs stop me from getting the kits if I like the look of it. They can always be changed. But the castings need to be junked.

I haven't finished the shed yet, still quite a few details to do, been working on these two all day. Amazing how time flies. I sit down to model, and before long, my better half wants to know what I want for lunch. After that, I get back to work on the model, and before long, it's dinner time. Where does it all go?

But here is the shed as is now. The window on the small side was a plastic casting, whereas all the others were laser cut, Why? Just laser cut another window! So I tossed it and made my own. The two on the end are from Rusty Stumps, the open door, scratchbuilt, hinges from Vector Cut.

The skylight finished. Do you think it might need more trim??? It looks good to me.

Another thought, would the shed be a gateway to the floor below? Or should I add in a door specifically for that as a stand alone roof entry? To me, a shed is for storing stuff, and not to be an access to the roof.

Tony Burgess

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  08:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes, I would do a separate entry as well.

Bob

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  10:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

You saw the light and made more changes to the kit. The skylights look very real and functional. Maybe with more light Sokol's employees can make chairs with all four legs, and so forth.

Shed looks good too. It's ok to have windows all different sizes and styles as though the shed was built sort of ad hoc, but seems to me you want some consistency in surface and condition which would be hard to achieve if you used a casting here and laser cut wood there.

I find time really flies when I'm modeling. "Just this one little part to glue on" and meanwhile coffee in the maker turns to tar, reheated leftovers in the microwave return to room temperature, and clothes in the dryer which stopped a half hour ago become a mass of wrinkles.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  11:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

Yes, I would do a separate entry as well.

Bob

Thanks Bob, then a new entry it is. I thought it might need one.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  11:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

You saw the light and made more changes to the kit. The skylights look very real and functional. Maybe with more light Sokol's employees can make chairs with all four legs, and so forth.
Mike

LOL , that's funny, yes, your probably right.

My wife usually takes care of the clothes, so no worries for me, I don't use the microwave much, prefer stovetop, and coffee, I'll drink it cold. Gotten used to that over the years.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  6:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last few hours I have been working on the shed, ok, not counting the time I took for my workout. This is almost a self explanatory step by step photo shoot.

In order, #'s 1-3, is the deck I made from 1x4, 1x6 and 1x8 planks, with a 2x3 sub floor.

Then #'s4-6 show the thru-mortise I did on the roof support, cleaning the tops after I glued them together. Then I notched the support beams to accept the top beam support.

#'s 7-9 show the assembly.

10-11 are the roofing I did, using windblown and very weathered tarpaper, and a cople of rotten boards underneath from lack of maintenance.

These last two show the trim I finally added using 1x4's.

Tony Burgess

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  7:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Between you and Louis there's no stopping you guys! Fabulous work on the shed Tony...

Bob

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  8:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

Between you and Louis there's no stopping you guys! Fabulous work on the shed Tony...

Bob

Thank you Bob. I guess Louis and I are the worker bees in this hive. I like the horse car he's having a go at. One cool looking piece of equipment.

Tony Burgess

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  2:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HO scale mortise and tenon joints... fantastic!

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  4:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeyjey

HO scale mortise and tenon joints... fantastic!

Cheers,
Jeff.

Not my first time. I like to challenge myself. It's fun to break out of the mold once in a while.

Funny story, when I pulled out the stripwood to do the tenons and mortises, the stripwood was it's normal 11" long. (can you see where this is going??)

I cut off 2 lengths for the posts, rough cut the tenons, then started on the mortises.

So after I had the second one cut, I saw that I had a beam about 8" long, and a mortise at each end. I then realized I had to cut the beam to length first.

Oh..I can see the posts now....I don't think you'll let me forget that one

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 02/06/2017 4:23:49 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  5:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HO scale mortise and tenon joints!!!
Well I'm impressed.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

railman28