Railroad Line Forums - Time for a new NCNG
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 62 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Time for a new NCNG
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 23 x 13 Multi Deck Layout Plan Topic Next Topic: turnout radius
Page: of 3

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  2:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

We need the exercise!

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  2:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is my latest. I have connect the NCNG from Colfax to Nevada City. I haven't filled in the industries between Grass Valley and Nevada City because I don't feel I have enough room. I may have to re-think the Cape Horn design to shrink it to provide room for the PG&E plant, lumber yards, and oil distributors that I wanted to place along the line.

The following is a link to download the full drawing in PDF format.

https://sites.google.com/site/empirita/miscellaneous/uploaddownload/NEWPLAN8.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

David

ncng
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  6:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ncng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This my 'final' draft. It is submitted for your review and comment. Once I review and incorporate any comments, I will start work on designing the benchwork.

Here is a link to a downloadable PDF of the entire design. You can zoom in with Adobe Acrobat to see more detail.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxlbXBpcml0YXxneDoxY2IwNzRlYjlkYWNiM2E3

This draft adds all of the NCNG trackage from Chicago Park all the way to Nevada City. Trains leaving Colfax travel around the Brunswick Lumber Mill and under the Long Ravine Viaducts. Both of these locations are currently modeled and will not change. After going under the viaducts, the train travels to Chicago Park. Chicago Park is at elevation -7.5". From here on the train will be climbing all the way up to Nevada City at elevation +10.5".

The Fine Scales Miniature Barnstead Lumber Co. has tentatively been place outside Chicago Park. After leaving Chicago Park, the train will proceed to Peardale where I have included the section house plus a couple of possible industries. Shortly after leaving Peardale the track circles around Union Hill and passes through the fictional relocated Empire Junction and the Empire Mine. Union Hill will have a log reload to supply logs to the Brunswick Mill. Grass Valley, the NCNG headquarters comes after Union Hill. Grass Valley will only have minor changes from the current layout. The Alpha Hardware warehouse will be moved out of the depot area and an elevated fuel supply track will be added across from the turntable.

Departing Grass Valley, the trackage will go into a tunnel to gain some elevation and to curve around to the other side of the aisle. A Pacific Gas & Electric gas plant will be located just after the track exits the tunnel. A fuel distributor will follow shortly after the PG&E plant. As the track continues around the end of the pennisula, a powder storage track and another fuel distributor will offer more switching.

This is the big picture. The portion in the lower right quadrant is very dense so I have broken out the levels in the following images

Level One is the very bottom of the stack. It is at Elevation -8.5" where Colfax is at Elevation 0.0". This is the reverse loop for trains entering Roseville staging under Colfax. I had originally planned to have Roseville at a lower elevation but when I reduced the turnaround leaving Colfax, I lost the distance needed to descend down to a lower elevation.

Level Two is the Reno Staging Yard plus the lowest level of the NCNG between Grass Valley and Town Talk Tunnel. The staging yard will be hidden from the Grass Valley side but open on the Nevada City side of the peninsula. As trains headed for Nevada City enter Town Talk Tunnel they will be entering a 2 loop helix going from elevation of +1.5" up to +10.5" at Nevada City. The staging yard descends down from the mainline to an elevation of +1.5".

Level Three adds in the mainline crossing the Long Ravine Viaducts and going around Cape Horn.

Level Four is the top level. It shows Nevada City and the two loop helix going down to Town Talk Tunnel.

I look forward to your comments. I want to make this NCNG even better than my last version.

David

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: 23 x 13 Multi Deck Layout Plan Topic Next Topic: turnout radius  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000