Railroad Line Forums - All Nation C&O Hopper
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 All Nation C&O Hopper
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: More Traction Freight Trailers... Topic Next Topic: Ambroiding along....
Page: of 3

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  09:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had this box on the shelf in the Closet of Horrors that I've been trying to empty - an All Nation C&O Hopper that I vaguely recall buying during a momentary lapse of reason....

Decided to give a go.....

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  09:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's what was in the box.....

2 ends, one with brake wheel...
2 sides, 1 broken, other cracked....

Zamac castings.....oh, joy! Well, I did clean off 95% of the flash on these except for the steps on the on side casting - thick and will have to drill that out carefully.

1 bottom of the hopper casting - "white metal" = high in lead content ='s heavy. One side drilled and tapped to accept one of the sides.

Some brake castings and 2 plastic couplers.

Momentary lapse of reason indeed!

No instructions, but (1) probably not actually needed and (2) probably a blessing at this point,

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  09:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite the fracture on that one side casting. Plans? You can't really hide it under vines like I do with boo boo's on structures.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  10:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! I had to look up the "Zamac" term....(Zinc-aluminum-manganese..)

Good luck with this disaster Martin! Hope you didn't pay much for it...

Although I'm confident with your skills you'll make something decent out of it....

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  10:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love those old All Nations kits'. Good luck with the repairs on this baby'..
Keep us posted on your progress'..

Ted in South Western, Connecticut

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  11:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never tried All-Nation (not my scale), but I do have three Ulrich hoppers of similar age & engineering. The C&O 3 bay is in service on my layout, the 2-bays are SLSF and improbable in '50s New England. Didn't have to tap any screw holes, though.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  11:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Better you than me. Just for kicks, have you thought of melting it down for car weights?

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/22/2016 11:37:39 AM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  11:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a pretty clean break and fits together neatly. Probably use my trick of Goo mixed with CA to tack it together and then some JB weld on the inside. If I can get the ends and sides assembled into a box, I should be able to insert the base into place. Putting it together adding sides and ends to the base looks to be something hard to do and arriving at the end with everything aligned properly. If I have to "adjust" the base casting, at least it's relatively soft and not brittle.

BTW, anyone notice that the slope sheets were missing?

Give me a week or 2 and I'll have something done with it......that might even look like a hopper car, too!

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  7:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Idea:

Flare the sides out and make the crack into a gash that was sustained in an accident as use it as a scene on an obscure track or in the car knockers area for repairs. If you really want to use it, put it over the edge of a cliff, or in a ditch, with weeds all around it, representing a derailed car left to rot, and use the "vines" of Dutchman to hide the car in that area.

Just my .03 at the current rate of .003 % of inflation.

Manny

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  8:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by mwbpequod

Ok, here's what was in the box.....

Other then nostalgia or the challenge... Why?
I think Frank has the right idea... car weight.

Gordon

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  8:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SAFN SAAP

Idea:

Flare the sides out and make the crack into a gash that was sustained in an accident as use it as a scene on an obscure track or in the car knockers area for repairs. If you really want to use it, put it over the edge of a cliff, or in a ditch, with weeds all around it, representing a derailed car left to rot, and use the "vines" of Dutchman to hide the car in that area.

Just my .03 at the current rate of .003 % of inflation.

Actually follows some of my philosophy on junkers at meets --> Scenery!

quote:
Other then nostalgia or the challenge... Why?

In part, the challenge which for me then equates to fun. I build stuff generally board by board; zamac and white metal will be "interesting" and will provide a bit of entertainment as well as a break from wood.

OTOH, I've got a resin car kit on the other bench...that I really need to get back into so I can write up the product review.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  08:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

I think this looks like an interesting project, although when you're done you might really be motivated for something completely different, like that resin kit you mention.

You're going to be in the spotlight on this one. If it doesn't go well you could always have an accident. Such as, it falls off your workbench and smashes into too many pieces to be repaired.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  09:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
...smashes into too many pieces to be repaired.

The Zamac parts are a real concern - brittle stuff that's got to older then me.

Managed to get the majority of the flash off using a little battery powered Dremel-like tool using a sanding drum and a cone shaped mill. That thicker flash is going to have to be drilled out from the steps at the one end and I hope not to break off the steps. I already lost some finer bits that I can easily replace with brass wire.

After mounting the one side to the base with screws tells me that I'll never get the sides and ends to align properly working off the base.

Ok, it's on to the plan of assembling the sides and ends; make a "box" and then fit that over the base.

The Goo & CA on the broken side is holding, but it's weak and won't take much stress. I think that once I gt the "box" assembled it might be supported better.

We'll see....if the base is too big - easy fix. Too small, then shim it out, I guess. May be a bit of both since the sides are cupped and bowed,

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  5:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you considered gluing a backing sheet of .005 or .010 styrene to the broken side to strengthen it?

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/23/2016 5:47:49 PM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  6:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Have you considered gluing a backing sheet of .005 or .010 styrene to the broken side to strengthen it?

Actually considering laminating some 0.015 brass on the inside with some JB Weld.

Interior is going to get a coal load for sure in this hopper!

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  7:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'mon Marty,
Break out that old welder, and acid core solder. Have a glass of Milk of Magnesia to test whether you sucked in too many of those lead vapors.

Anybody remember using one of these to tack brass parts on old engines?

I like Frank's idea of roughing up a piece of styrene and doing some bodywork on the backside.

Jim

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: More Traction Freight Trailers... Topic Next Topic: Ambroiding along....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000