Railroad Line Forums - Broke Back Mining & Logging Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Broke Back Mining & Logging Railroad
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Keep Alive Capacitors for On30 Locos Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  8:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Download Attachment: 12799213_532062886971999_1565002866542503727_n.jpg
55.97 KB

Download Attachment: 12790848_533447790166842_8066729269368631509_n.jpg
54.02 KB

Download Attachment: 13010719_554517691393185_7555498851795042169_n.jpg
54.42 KB

Download Attachment: 14610953_640839302761023_1920355270956048086_n.jpg
74.92 KB

Download Attachment: 15078638_652917384886548_6597231656870750459_n.jpg
67.1 KB

Download Attachment: 15078806_655637287947891_2566831629075109662_n.jpg
53.61 KB

On30 Dave
seen on G+, YOUTUBE and FB

Edited by - lemkerailroad1 on 11/19/2016 8:51:00 PM

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  8:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to be adding some links to other posts here as well that i will be doing during this build which will go into some detail of what i did as well, but it mainly so i dont lose my posts

Kitwood Hill Model 9" Turntable Build - http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49893

happen to be going trough the old posts and found my 1st attempt to a layout in On30 back in the day.....i am going to post links here for my ref but feel free to look and laugh.....

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26595&whichpage=1

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28603

this is what I was afraid of.......
I followed the insert pic info in the forum and I end up with this, does someone know where I went wrong??????

ok I will put a brief description here as somehow I deleted it in the edit of the last post...........

I am returning to On30 from being gone for almost 10 years, I have forgot a lot and have learned a lot, make scenes, but after a second run with HO which I started feb 2016, I found out I'm getting old, I have to many headaches dealing with small detail parts, (and here I thought it was the wife and her kids), but my eyes are going south fast, so back to On30 for a few years and hopefully not to change again

I will be posting lots of pics and info as well as asking for help

my little helper, Anniah (aka, my spoiled grand daughter) will be making and appearance from time to time to help her grandpa run trains or help out on the layout as I have her very interested in this hobby, I bought her an off-brand of thomas train table and track kit and her mom says she plays with the train set for 5 to 6 hours a day........YES........ that's my baby, so now I look forward to her coming over to see her grandma, she runs in the door and blows right past grandma and right to me to go do trains, weather in the train room or her s scale plastic train set here at my house

so please read on and thanks for your input, good or bad

On30 Dave

Edited by - lemkerailroad1 on 12/17/2017 10:52:47 AM

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  8:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I tried to go back into edit and it says I don't have permission as I am not the poster or a mod........ugh.......

On30 Dave

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  8:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ok.....
hopefully a mod can help me out before I post another pic.......lol

I am using micro engineering code 83 On30 non weathered track, I bought all new (this is a first for me) but on one of the switches the through bar cam lose from the connector at pivot point, is this ok to use after I slid it back into its holder, or should I return it????????

I hate ME instruction sheets.......can someone help me with wiring the frog, I am going to go to tortoise switch machines soon, but probably not until after the first of the year, I have been looking for a few days on the internet and I'm confused, I need help in this department please. Can someone post a little info or a diagram using this combo so maybe I can finally understand it

thanks in advance for this info

Dave

On30 Dave

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  8:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The forum is set up in a way that makes it easier to just reply to the topic, rather then edit. Just reply, and ad you new photos, and don't worry about the first original post in the thread....

Here is the thread on how to edit'

How to edit the first post in a thread, it's under general forums, by Rick

ted :<)

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 11/19/2016 8:51:29 PM

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  8:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
this is not how I remember posting pics, when did they go to attachments

I have totally screwed up the first post.......lol

ok here we go for description........

pic 1 is of my around the wall shelf layout

pic 2 is of my 14" helix shoved in the closet to conserve room

pic 3 and 4 is of helix covering and tiring my hand at scenery

pic 5 and 6 is the lower level rework to On30 cookie cutter style bench work

On30 Dave

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  9:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Edited by - BigLars on 11/19/2016 9:50:25 PM

Lighthorseman
Section Hand

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  9:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave -

First of all - beautiful looking work!!

Next - not a major issue to click on links for a picture - everyone loves pictures, embedded or not! I believe, however, that if you want to DIRECTLY include a picture within your post, a "direct" link to an offshore stored image (such as Dropbox, photobucket or something(?)) will enable you to do that. Likely someone with more Web-expertise will likely wade in on this.

Secondly - good choice with the ME unweathered track. I tried the weathered stuff, and found I had to scrape off the bluing any time I wanted to solder or glue the rail.

Thirdly - OUTSTANDING work on the helix! Wow!

Best of luck with the layout - from another with the eyesight issue.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  12:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110

nice helix!

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  12:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
how many here are using micro engineering code 83 On30 track?

I am trying to figure out if I need to power the frogs or will the 0-4-2 porters cross this and not have any issues,
if they wont cross what are you guys doing to solve this issue, do you use a switch machine or do you wire in another
bus line to the layout to feed power

On30 Dave

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  12:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Power the frogs on the ME turnouts, otherwise you'll have to crank up the speed on 0-4-0 type locos to get over the frogs. Another choice is to use decoders with stay alive capacitors.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  1:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are Dave's pics with his captions below each image with one typo corrected.

I will also include a screen grab of this message so you can see the formatting needed to show the images.

"my around the wall shelf layout"

"my 14" helix shoved in the closet to conserve room"

"helix covering and trying my hand at scenery"

"helix covering and trying my hand at scenery"

"lower level rework to On30 cookie cutter style bench work"

"lower level rework to On30 cookie cutter style bench work"

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  2:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the image file.

Note that each of the links is the full image url that shows in your browser address bar when viewing the attachments.

I manually highlighted the html coding that I inserted to get the images to display.

When I clicked the "Insert a File" button while composing this message, the above image was uploaded and code inserted to give another attachment link (as per usual) rather than a link to the image file. So yes, I had to manually correct it to show this image as well, as shown below.

This mess sure is more confusing than something that actually worked the way we humans think, isn't it?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  07:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

For power-routing the frogs of your ME turnouts you will want to use the contacts supplied on the tortoise switch machine. You will have a wire from the frog to the appropriate contact on the switch machine and two wires from the switch machine to your track power lines. The instructions you want to read are those that came with the tortoise.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  2:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for helping me out with the pics, I tried that but it didn't work, will try again next time, third times a cham right.........lol

On30 Dave

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  2:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Dave,

For power-routing the frogs of your ME turnouts you will want to use the contacts supplied on the tortoise switch machine. You will have a wire from the frog to the appropriate contact on the switch machine and two wires from the switch machine to your track power lines. The instructions you want to read are those that came with the tortoise.

Mike

The instructions to me sucked.........lol
I did find a hole under the frog and I did have to get another pencil tip iron, Darn another tool from the snap on truck......lol
I did attach a wire to this and did give it a tug test to make sure of the job,, I am going to start looking for switch machines tonight and see what deals there are

On30 Dave

Edited by - lemkerailroad1 on 11/21/2016 3:12:38 PM

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Keep Alive Capacitors for On30 Locos Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000