Railroad Line Forums - Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Page: of 55

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  5:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, a little quiet lately. I've been ferrying around my wife to various dr and eye appointments. Must be old -always some ache to talk about! When did that happen? David, I will join you for some of that fine Aussie grape. First day of Spring here. What a joke! It was snowing. I also got a little work done on my RR yesterday - some track laid and lighting supports up for LED shadow box lights.
Cheers,
Dave

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  08:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning All, coffee is ready and bagels with all the fixins.

It's a rainy 59f here this morning.

Phillip ,I hope you get to feeling better soon.

David, hope they can get something done for the missis.

Everyone have a great day.

Mark

W,L,&E

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  2:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all! Mark, thanks for opening and for the good thoughts. Hoping to get down to the train room tonight, if all goes well. Spent some time doodling buildings to fit on the wharf. Our middle daughter passed her driving road test yesterday; she can now drive unrestricted. Yay! Hope everyone has a great day!
Cheers,
Dave

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  08:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning All, coffee is ready and eggs, ham, home fries and toast with butter and jam.

My day off but still have nurse and therapest to visit.

Mark

W,L,&E

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  2:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark, Thanks for opening. Just you and me, it seems. Hope your visit to therapist is successful. I noticed you made a little headway on your layout, a while back. Did you get down to do anymore last night?
Cheers,
Dave

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  09:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning All, coffee machine is ready and danish on the counter.

Nobody stopped in yesterday, was rather chilly when I opened the door this morning.

Well, everyone have a great weekend.

Mark

W,L,&E

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  12:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,
There was a sign on the window "closed for inventory" - I kept walking. We have been threatened with snow for some days now but the sun is out so I'm thinking we are in the clear (no pun intended) for now. Got some more track laid last night and test-fitted my LED strips for the lighting.It will definitely be bright enough - hopefully not too bright. I am thinking I should paint the valence structure (ceiling, as it were, of the shadow box) black. There's more noodling that will put some procrastination in my build. Hope everyone has a great day!
Cheers,
Dave

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  3:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got hold of Tom and found out he got out of the hobby a year ago and sold off everything. He's wintering in AZ and will be back north this summer for fishing. Sad to see guys losing interest.
Cold here today but sun has been out. Hurry up springtime.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  12:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear Tom lost interest. Piddling with the old Shays for the last month as time permits. These are a pain but run smooth with all the upgrades and new wheels I appropriated from Dallas a couple years ago and cut the rims on my lathe. I'm bound and determined to finish both of these. I still have a bunch of details to finish on both.

This one (below) was started in 2006. Added the new taller wheels recently as it was torn down and reworked. They fit over the existing rims and make the loco taller.

This two photos (below) were started a few months ago. It belonged to my friend Joe Lowery who passed away from agent orange last year. I promised him I'd finish it. It was originally a 3 trucker shay. Joe lived and breathed model railroading, HO,N,and On30

Here they are married up together in a nice blurry fashion. Sorry!

Well I'm heading out of the lounge, started a roaring fire for the early shift.

Philip

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  01:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip the shays are impressive. I'm sad that Joe could not finish the project, glad you will finish the models for him.

Edited by - BigLars on 03/06/2017 6:07:34 PM

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  06:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning All, coffee is ready and coffee cake on the counter.

Phillip, I really like the great work you are doing on the shays.
What kit did you use to make them?

Mark

W,L,&E

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning, thanks for the coffee Mark!

The whistles came from ebay, guy is on there randomly and sells a few item in brass or pewter. I'm thinking GL and it's not Grandt Line...little mom and pops vendor. The bells were wiseman...air type...you have to file part of it off.

Most parts were from Wiseman models, V & T kit and it is S gauge but large enough for On30. IE, cab, bunker,ends,sand dome. I actually visited his shop and dug through his inventory and picked out what I thought I would need. Boy was I wrong! Being it is S scale the tires are larger. I had to find tires from Thomas train, actually a depressed center flat car (very rare) and hard to find. Dallas hooked me up with one he had. At the time I only bought one. Then I got Joe's 3 truck basket case and said Oh *hit I need more wheels. Did extensive work fixing the frame..now I see Wiseman has 20 for sale of the 2 truck! Go figure! Scoured ebay and got some different style rims (spoked). I also extended the stack to make it appear larger/taller. Some of the tan castings were from Bachmann Shay (sanders) coupler pockets were off (recast by phil..me) from a Bachmann gas mechanical & #5 Kadee. Pretty much sums up the situation of this madness. The boiler original domes were sanded off including the engine shroud and filled with filler. Both have the NWSL upgrade bullgear and thinner drive train. Lots of engine work as the MDC is 3 cylinder. Wiseman has a 2 cylinder casting so the MDC crank has to be shortened (easy fix). It will keep you busy for several, several months! No hurry.
Philip

Edited by - Philip on 03/06/2017 10:43:45 AM

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  5:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phillip, I was thinking it was one of the V&T conversions. Way too much work for me.

The bottle of red is out, Good Evening All.

Mark

W,L,&E

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  6:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip, that is quite the challenge you have set for yourself. Best of luck! I admire your workmanship. Wouldn't even know where to start.
Mark, Thanks for the red - I will definitely indulge while waiting for track glue to dry. Managed to get some more track glued down. I hope I didn't forget a step somewhere along the way. I almost forgot to drill holes for the switch controls before gluing them down!
Anyway, Have a great evening all.
Cheers,
Dave

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  7:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, Start about 10 times and get beat down every time. Then get back up! THANKS!

Philip

Page: of 55 Topic Next Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000