Railroad Line Forums - Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: East coast narrow gauge
Page: of 39

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  3:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is 6:30 am Monday, here in Ipswich. It is overcast with a forecast top temperature of 33 degrees C.
I managed to cancel my booking at the Hilton Penn Station Hotel in Newark and are we are now stopping at another Hilton hotel near Penn Station in New York proper. Also booked and paid for our connecting flight LA to Denver following our arrival from Oz and Denver to New York following the NNGC. Only two hotels yet to be booked Chicago then LA the night before our flight home. Need to book car rentals for Denver (to visit Chama, Durango, Silver Plume) and Charlottesville to drive to Cass.
Did not get a chance to do any work on the On30 layout in the T-Shed on Saturday as we went to the Australian Model Railway Association club rooms at Zillmere so Raymond could have two of his new 1:19 steam models boiler tested. One is a WW1 WD Alco 2-6-2T and the other a Queensland sugar loco a Bundaberg Fowler 0-6-2T.
Managed to make a small amount of progress on Sunday however. Small steps but at least its progress.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator
The Workshops Rail Museum

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  4:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1pm, Sunday, here in BC. David, that's quite the adventure you have planned. Look forward to hearing more about it. I've been playing with SketchUp to draft some structures. I'm not sure how productive it is but I guess, like everything with a learning curve, it will get better. Right now, it seems like I should be hobbying more rather than planning because I am not making any tangible progress on the layout itself. Hope you all get to enjoy the day!
Cheers,
Dave

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  07:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning All, coffee any way you want and croisants on the counter.

it's 45f here and supposed to get to 60 and sunshine tody.

David sounds like you will be busy while you are here.

Everyone have a great day.

Mark

W,L,&E

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  09:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Another good looking day!

Dentist cleaning this morning, picking up a new spyware CD.
Stopping by the last hobby shop in the area, normally a disappointing venture because he stocks nothing but sarcasm and shelves of other scale plastic car kits. Sometimes he has a few consignment. Then the crappy attitude that goes with all his sarcasm. I often wonder why he continues to operate. He's most likely has a bottle of Tenax! lol
Philip

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  10:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having managed a hobby store for a number of years and been a regional manager for a string of them, as well, I am always amazed by the "angry store manager/owner persona". Somehow their passion (if they ever had any) has turned sour. This affects the customers who no longer want to be there, driving business away, and in turn, making them more miserable. I always used to tell my managers, "this is your house and you are having a party. Make everyone feel welcome and have a good time". We would still get the "sad panda" clerk, morosely staring at the floor and begrudgingly help out a customer - he didn't last long.
Anyway, it's a day off for me and I get to look after a sick wife!
Cheers,
Dave

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  5:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning. 90f at 7am here today.

I have been a manufacturer, a wholesaler, a retailer and a customer in the hobby business. There are great customers and great business folks. But both sides can soon turn sour dealing with the other side. It's the same in all businesses. Simply put some folks simply aren't cutout to be in business. And some customers have an attitude that often makes those in business wish they weren't.
Smiles are cheap. Save the nasty attitude and remarks for when you are alone.
Or curse the internet when all you can get is a small picture. We all need stores. It's up to us all to keep their doors open. Even if that means smiling when we don't want to.

Bruce

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  5:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, it's in the mid 70's in Charlotte. Not a whole lot of modeling going on here mostly cleanup and planning.
I put out a bottle of red and a glass at the end of the bar for my Brudda.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  10:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning men! Sorry to hear your wife is ill Dave, hope she is on the mend.

Late brunch today: coffee, scrambled eggs, toast, jelly, bacon, and a side of fresh tomato. Help yourself!

Sorry about the rant yesterday. Glad everyone chimed in positive/negative about customer service. It is what it is... bad and good.

Working on the MDC shays threading the trucks with 4-40 tap and lathing down the 4-40 screws to size so they pivot in the seat. PIA but a necessary evil to get these bad boys running.

Have a nice day. What are you into?

Philip

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  1:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thought Philip. Sadly it seems it might be shingles or neurological in nature. So nothing simple but very painful.
Back at work with all that comes with it. Got roadbed painted yesterday and some of the light supports up in the shadow-box frame. Then sat at computer planning buildings to fit.
All y'all have a good day!
Cheers,
Dave

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  2:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Afternoon All, cold drinks in the fridge and cleaning up left over brunch.

I did not get to the lumber store this weekend as hoped, so no layout suports.

Mark

W,L,&E

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  07:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning All ,coffee anyway you want and bagels with all the fixings.

It's 52f here this morning and cloudy.

Mark

W,L,&E

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  12:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read on FB that they're trying to get a local On30 group going in western SC and Charlotte area.
I need to move down there soon.....if someone will buy this place.
Warming day outside and last of snow is melting.
Time for lunch now.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  1:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Thanks for opening! Threatening snow here again but it shouldn't be much or lasting (fingers crossed!). While I didn't get any work on the railway done last night (meetings, etc) tuning in to the forums and the lounge makes me sorta feel connected to the hobby. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad surrogate/excuse for not getting stuff done. I'm going to go with the former until I find that I am only surfing and not hobbying.
Hope you have a great day!
Cheers,
Dave

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  3:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone - I have just brewed some fresh coffee and there is hot water for those who prefer tea. I have also cooked some poached eggs and bacon as well as toast so please tuck in.
David sorry to hear your wife is unwell. I hope the doctors find the problem and help her get well soon.

Regards
David Mewes
Curator
The Workshops Rail Museum

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  4:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, thanks for the thoughts. The pain blockers seem to be working for the most part. Dr visit tomorrow will hopefully yield better news.
It's a good thing I love breakfast all day long! I'm in for more eggs and bacon!
Cheers,
Dave

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: East coast narrow gauge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.49 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000