Railroad Line Forums - G for Garganchua Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G for Garganchua Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Layout DEAD RIVER LUMBER Co
Page: of 21

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  9:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been following for awhile and have to add my fascination and admiration regarding this build. Wonderful!

Dave

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  12:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I am also planing on a 1/8 steel plate under the cab that will be welded to the frame. that will also give plenty of strength to the cab and floor. I'm going to build a jig to build the frame. It looks pretty easy from what I have researched. In the meantime I want to make sure the piping and back head are set up with the throttle and johnson bar. have some ideas on building those with some car parts.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  10:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I had to rip up some in my office to finish."

That's true dedication, ripping up your office for the cause. The cab looks fantastic.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  12:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work throughout. I like the detail on the cab such as the chamfering. Gives a much more sophisticated look than plain edges. In the nineteenth century even the lowly boxcar sometimes sported chamfered corners.

Your locomotive must be quite a conversation starter when you have it out in your driveway.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  12:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael,
Had a wild hair the past couple of days. I was racking my brain on how to do a working throttle linkage or just a static lever for looks. I again search the web for pictures of throttles on steam engines. I found a drawing I liked and figured out how it worked. I then went shopping to look up and down the aisles to find the right materials. I picked up a hinge, some nuts bolts and washer, a 3/8 pipe floor flange and a piece of steel flat bar. I had some rod and small flat bar stock at home along with some leftover parts from that air gun I made the whistle lever out of. Oh and one more thing, a spring.

Here is the bar stock with the holes in it for mounting and a notch and spring for the lock. You can also see the throttle rod and lock part on the rod. They were cut out of the hinge metal. I used the hinge because it was cheaper than buying a piece wide enough to cut.

This is the back side. I used a washer and bent it to keep the lock moving straight on the bar

Air gun handle and the handle ground out of the bar. you can see a small wire in the pic, this is for the lock. It goes form the handle lever to the lock.

And last but not least the test fit. Still need to trim some bolts but, It works!! I am planing on trying to make it actually control the motor control. I have some ideas. well see.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 11/30/2016 12:39:16 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  09:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OMG - you're the best.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  10:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, I agree. Absolutely amazing work!

Mark

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  12:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank said it all! You are a talented craftsman.
Dave

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  12:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is amazing! Such inventiveness!

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We'll have to go to a sales meeting this week so I won't have anything special until next weekend. Working on the firebox flicker and the back head detail. I am planing on using the valves to turn on and off things like headlight and certain sounds.Show you next time.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  11:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I just caught up with this thread. Stunning work!

Rich

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/10/2016 :  10:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, amazing creativity.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  7:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Worked on the backhead. I cut a hole in the backhead to hold a small tin box. This box will be the firebox. I then fitted all the fittings to get the placement. I didn't have enough room for three boiler check valves so it gets two.

Once all placed out, I removed and made the door.

Skim coated

Sanded

And mounted on back of the boiler again. I haven't decided whether I will rivet the back side or not

I purchased a flicker kit from Evil Mad Scientist and installed in the fire box. Used some shiny aluminum tape crinkled up at the bottom to simulate red wood coals.

Here is a link to yutube
https://youtu.be/33TJ20qdejQ

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  11:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is insanely cool!!

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  10:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thankyou Ray. I have been working on the switches behind the knobs. I have figured a way to use them like real valves and activate a switch. I will be using the switches to turn on the head light, maybe an interior light and some sound triggers such as cylinder cocks.

Here is a picture. I used T nuts, a long brass screw, a nut and a cotter key. The screw was JB Welded to the knob then threaded through the made up valve ( brass reduction fitting) out the back to where it closes the switch when fully screwed in. To stop it from coming all the way out when turned the opposite way I have a nut that I drilled a hole through both the nut and screw which a cotter key fits in.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 12/15/2016 12:42:47 PM

Page: of 21 Topic Next Topic: Layout DEAD RIVER LUMBER Co  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000