Railroad Line Forums - G for Garganchua Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G for Garganchua Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scale Art Model Parts Topic Next Topic: Modeling 1800s era Silver and Gold Mine Structures
Page: of 14

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  12:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well first off I live in Northern California.Temperatures here are nothing like the Pacific Northwest. We rarely see below 50 degrees and our average high is around 80 with a high of 105 F. I have a garden railroad going on 5 years. I have used the same wood glue, Titebond III, and superglue on all my projects with extremely good results. Superglue works on all surfaces but I prefer to use Titebond III on wood instead. The body filler Bondo as well as spot putty is what is used on automobiles for body work. Some people use Bondo to repair wood on houses. It is far superior to rock hard which if not sealed properly will eventually fall apart. I have not shown you yet but the boiler will be Gel coated. This is the same material they use to seal boats. So essentially it will be just as good as a real engine. As for if the engine remaining outside, two thoughts on that when we get to that point. We will either return it to the garage or build an engine house to store it.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 11/25/2016 12:28:05 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  1:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Engine house, please daddy can I have an engine house.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  6:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well son, we'll have to ask Santa!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  8:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where approximately in Northern California? I like the sounds of those daily temperatures, and may head west'...Sick of North East winters'..

Ted

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  10:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will try out Titebond III, thx!
Please more info on the gel (brand?).

What gauge is your garden railway? Same as yr new loco? Do you have models on the layout, do you leave them outdoors year round?

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  12:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I live outside of Sacramento in Rocklin just east of Roseville where the big UP yards are. If we feel like the beach we head west or south and if we fell like snow we head east to Tahoe. Both are about 100 miles away.
Piotr, You can go to Youtube, I have a channel, just type in a search for Bill Iwan. I have several videos of just monkeying around with some of my garden trains. also have a web site, it can also be found by searching Bill Iwan On30. I haven't updated it in years. One of these days I will go back in and edit things just haven't really thought about it for some time now It starts with Sierra Railroad ------. Hopefully I haven't broken any rules here.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 11/01/2016 12:46:27 AM

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  9:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I watched a few videos, both the small scale and garden railway. Your garden setting is awesome!
You are a fun guy.
How old is the truss bridge and what glue have you used?

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  2:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
5 Years, Titebond III and nails.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  02:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a GREAT WEEKEND!!! Wife went to Santa Cruz so I had the whole weekend to play build. Friday the bell arrived, what a beauty! Perfect size. Found it in two places one the web, but the best price was, Idea Stage promotions LLC. they had it for large quantity purchase for companies but will send you a sample without a custom plaque on a wood base to see if it is something you would like. The price is about 30 bucks less. Thanks BSH Home Appliances!

With the bell you might say I am committed to the project now, no backing out now. I started to work on the light base and brackets when I realized that I had made the headlight too wide, well basically Tooooo big! Here it is prior.

And after the shrinking

I had to take an inch out of the middle which meant that the bowl I was using for the reflector was to big now. Lucky for me since my wife was gone, well you know.

You will notice in the last light picture that the smoke box changed from grey to white. This is the Gel coat. it is used to repair boats, usually after repaired with fiberglass. It can be used by itself so it becomes a great sealer and can be applied light or heavy with a spray gun.

Because I wanted a good coat on the smokebox I had to remove all the eyeball rivets so as to be able to sand it smooth once we sprayed it. I redid them after and will coat again when the boiler is ready for a final Gel coat. It turned out to be a good idea because my son and I decided rather than wrap the main boiler with plastic we were going to gel coat and auto body putty to get the lines out of the cardboard tubes. I built the firebox on the boiler, made the bell stand and positioned the dome bases.

As you can see, I don't have much room to work with. Anyone interested in a custom 1968 RS Camaro let me know. 555-1234. Ok that was my Saturday.

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!! Remember those radio commercials? I was waiting for my son to help with the fiberglass and putty so I decided to work on the fun stuff like wiring and effects.
After watching Ty's video on making smoke for smoke stacks on his layouts, I came up with an idea to be able to have continuous smoke from the fogger. Who knows if it will work but in theory it will. Inside the boiler i sealed it up with the stuff advertised on TV that they spray on a screen door on the bottom of a boat and it floats, I know you have seen it. I have no idea why I had a can on the shelf but it worked to seal the inside. If you look down the boiler you will see the smoke stack pipe. The small hole is for wiring. Now in Ty's box he had a fan in the box, my bilge fan is actually in the smoke stack pipe.

Here is the fogger.

This picture shows the unit in place. I know what you're thinking, hey that runs on household current of 120 volts AC. Yes it does.

About this time my son arrived. We wrapped it in a really light sheet of fiberglass. I can only describe it like a dryer sheet but fiberglass. So that we could work on it easily, I made a rotisserie of sorts. Hey I bet I could cook a pig this way also!

Once dry, we skim coated it with body putty.

Sanded, made a huge mess and wha la.Ready for Gelcoat and paint!

What an awesome weekend, and to boot, I received my Accucraft F scale goose number 5. Traded some On30 cars for it.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 11/07/2016 11:43:54 AM

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  6:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing...you guys are gifted craftsmen with a flare for using items beyond their intent.
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  7:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not so sure your headlight was too big. This one's on the big side also.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  12:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True, but when I went to make the base, the base and light stuck out the sides farther than the boiler diameter. I Then went back and looked closer at the original pictures and realized it was just a tad bit big. One of the problems I had is I can not find a front elevation drawing so I drew it myself based on certain points on the side. No biggy, if I don't like this one I can redo it again, all in fun anyway.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  11:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately the plans show everything BUT the headlight. The plans show it as a saddle tank but I guess it was deleted.

Chloe was built Sept. 1883 Const. #6944 XO boiler was built 1917.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/08/2016 11:06:18 AM

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  11:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am enjoying this project, innovative use of material (I am learning about that too) and enjoying this coming to life.

Les

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  5:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know what's really funny Frank, I grew up about 2 miles from where Ward Kimball lived. I rode my bike past his house a million times not knowing he had trains in his backyard. Man if I had only known then what I know now.

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Scale Art Model Parts Topic Next Topic: Modeling 1800s era Silver and Gold Mine Structures  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000