Railroad Line Forums - G for Garganchua Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G for Garganchua Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scale Art Model Parts Topic Next Topic: Modeling 1800s era Silver and Gold Mine Structures
Page: of 14

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2016 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW !!! This is GREAT. I love it. I have been a scrounger all my life (that's over 80 years) but
never on quite the scale you are working in. I can hardly wait for your next episode.

Cheers,

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/28/2016 :  11:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Smoke box front clamps made from castings made from wood, a bolt and a nut.

Ever seen these?

They make great Rivets

Bondo time for the boiler!

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2016 :  10:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

WOW !!! This is GREAT. I love it. I have been a scrounger all my life (that's over 80 years) but
never on quite the scale you are working in. I can hardly wait for your next episode.

I agree! This is actually exciting to follow along, watching it come together.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2016 :  11:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just incredible fascinating craftsmanship at it's finest'.[

Ted

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2016 :  10:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What truly amazes me is how you can look at something (like those eyes) and see the potential of what it can be! That takes a high level of imagination. I would NEVER have thought of using those eyes for rivets. Excellent! I'm really enjoying watching your progress and how your imagine creates the different elements to bring this project to life.

Mark

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/29/2016 :  11:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, why not use real bolt and nut to make a casting?
How do you attach them to the boiler?

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  02:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I only made castings for the smoke box clamps. It was easier to cast the bolt with the clamp than just the clamp with a hole. If you look closely you will see that the bolts around the outer edge of the smoke box front are bolts and nuts. You will also see a few holes with no bolts. this is where I fasten the smoke box front to the smoke box. I have added studs there, not shown in this pic. This also shows the bondo job to smooth out the layers of the boiler and the smoke stack ring.

I finished the angry eye rivets on the smoke stack as well as the smoke box and primered them.I also had my son make me some brackets for the head light. I didn't feel like trying to grind them out. it would be more work than the whistle lever, beside this is a family affair. You will also noticed I started the domes. Waiting on some cake tins.

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  02:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, don't BS the forum, you welded, bolted, riveted it of steel :))))
The transition of stack into the boiler looks like welded.

What glue are you using?
Smoothing with caulk, and what kind?

TmOn30
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  07:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill. This is INSANE I don't mean the different materials, methods and construction but the fact that your using stuff out of the WIFE'S kitchen and getting away with it !!!!

Great modelling !!!!! No lack of details.
Keep at it.
Cheers Tom.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  10:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are making fantastic progress!

Mark

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  10:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, it's believable.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  2:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THanks guys,
Hi Poitr,
I am using a model aircraft form of supper glue. The fill is with Bondo and spot putty.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  4:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just incredible fascinating craftsmanship at it's finest'.[

Ted

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  11:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pls tell me, Bill, which surfaces you glue with model aircraft supper glue and whether you know for sure that both the glue and fillers will be weather resistant (taken in for winter).

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  12:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic!

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Scale Art Model Parts Topic Next Topic: Modeling 1800s era Silver and Gold Mine Structures  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000