Railroad Line Forums - G for Garganchua Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G for Garganchua Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Layout DEAD RIVER LUMBER Co
Page: of 21

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  5:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had some time to finish off the whistle valve. I used a shop air gun and removed the lever.

I then ground a notch in the gun so as to put a lever for the whistle.

The lever was drawn out on matt board to get the right size and shape. then I used a scrap piece of 1/8 steel bar and cut, ground and filed to match the drawing. total cost of the valve, 6 bucks. Sure beats the real one for 69. I might dress it up with a nut on the opposite side of the valve pin. Tried it on my air compressor, only needs about 20 psi for a good tone. Higher psi and it becomes a screeching banshee.

During these small projects I have started on the boiler and smoke box. Thats next.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  6:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" Impressive " modeling

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  10:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How have you not finished this project by now? Are you actually working during the day?#128518;#128523;#128512;#128514;#128077; always impressed with your imagination. Scott

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  10:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The numbers are emojis that obviously do not show up........think laughing and winking faces.........Scott

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  12:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Scott, LOL. Getting old I guess. Job and grand kids slow me down.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  01:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amazing!!

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  01:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still don't understand how you're going to deal with noise by-law violations. The backyard must be REALLY huge

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  06:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. Amazing. I wait for your next modeling magic trick like a kid waiting for the next Western Serial Movie.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  11:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be fun to watch all these pieces come together. Can't wait for the boiler.

Mark

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  7:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OMG, unreal.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  01:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tidied up the whistle with a few nuts and repainted the valve.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  02:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
before I start with the boiler, let me explain what kind of person I am. This will give you a better idea of my mind set. Besides being obsessive compulsive and just plan loco, (notice the play on words), I like to look for things that I can use for projects, mainly model railroading but not limited to that. I think I am the only person that will say yes when my wife wants to go to any type of store. It doesn't matter. from Ross to Joann's, Michele's Target or basically anything that might have something I might need at a latter date. This also applies to hardware stores like Lowes, Home Depot and Ace. For example, how many times have you walked through Lowes building dept and seen those cardboard tubes for concrete footings?
Welllll,that brings me to the boiler.

Just so happens that they sell a 12 inch tube which is perfect for the size I need. So off I go to Lowes. As I am looking at the tubes I notice that there are about four tubes inside each other all in the 12 inch section. Im thinking, how can two or more 12 inch tubes fit inside each other? As I pull them down off the shelf I see printed on the side,"12 inch NOMINAL, can vary +-.5 in size " Then I thought to myself,hey this might be a good thing, Buy using several of them I can get a thicker boiler compared to the smoke box. Now I know what your thinking, cardboard? Trust me, you'll see what I have in store.

Smoke box front was cut out of an old shelf and the door was made from Bondo formed in, you guessed it, my wife's plate. I'm going to get busted one of these days.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 10/27/2016 10:39:50 AM

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  1:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

OMG, unreal.

Frank: On the contrary, looks like robbed from a loco museum :)))
I am holding my breath for the assembly stage... but knowing Bill's skills by now, he will come up with ingenious ways. Perhaps I can learn something...

It's an awesome e-group -- overall, not just garganchoo-choo dept. I joined only a week or so ago, learned so much already! My new bsmt workshop will be busy this winter
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48089

Bill: I am similar--hunting for junk and used stuff, looking through products in stores that resemble the part I need for a model. In the begining 3 yrs ago, I used to go to Home Depot etc. and sight-see all alleys with 1:24 modeller eyes :)
I found:
- plastic and metal trusses for structures, belt conveyors (edge for tile setting)
- watertight doors for ships (covers on PVC outdoor electrical boxes)
- solid oak (mill into scale lumber) and plastic (model underlay against capillary moisture) flooring samples
- damaged, discounted tile sheets (paving etc. stone details))
- PVC pipe glue (works in styrene, holds well enough, much cheaper)
- treated wood and cedar dunnage (for free!)
- lots of useful things in the store dumpster!

You might be interested in more sourcing hints, if you expand to a whole-yard empire w/o going broke or divorced :)))
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  1:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The nano-scalers will never know the joys of finding the right components at a fraction of their costs :) or the thrill of "borrowing" wife's things :)))

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/28/2016 :  11:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boiler with supports and tube for Smoke, yes it will have smoke. What steam engine does not?

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 10/28/2016 11:46:51 AM

Page: of 21 Topic Next Topic: Layout DEAD RIVER LUMBER Co  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000