Railroad Line Forums - G for Garganchua Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G for Garganchua Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Layout DEAD RIVER LUMBER Co Topic Next Topic: O scale 2 rail exhibition layout
Page: of 17

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  3:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To answer about the kid tough, I guess I have to come clean here, I'm the kid that will be driving it as well as my sons so it wont be climbed on like a jungle gym so I am pretty sure it will be just fine. Besides kids need to be taught right from wrong and when to touch and when not to. Both I and my boys are good about that. As for the power, I plan on using a wheelchair motor or motors. I figure if it can haul around some of the people I have seen at Walmart, it shouldn't be an issue.

I received the Hurricane lamp parts and finished that portion of the headlight. I used a soap dispenser I had left over from a faucet replacement and used it for the bottom of the burner. All that's left is paint and decoration. I will probably use LEDs for the light incorporated in the wick.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  3:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
12x2 cake pan, 3 inch pvc pipe, a plastic for sale sign and a 3" to 4 " coupler for the smoke stack. The coupler was cut at the angle and the inside was sanded out to fit the pipe. This was used as support for the bottom of the upper part of the stack. The top cake pan has been attached to the pipe. A hole will be drilled in the center to allow the smoke to exit the stack. it will eventually have a smoke arrestor.There will be a veneer sheet and rivets around the pan to connect to the angled portion as well as one on the pipe to connect to the bottom funnel on the pipe.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 10/16/2016 12:22:23 AM

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  4:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can hear "Choo Choo"

Really inventive modeling, I love it.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  10:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the amount of thought and detail you put into the headlight is any indication to what the finished product will look like, this engine is going to be gorgeous! I'm enjoying reading about how you are using various common items to fabricate each part. Very clever!

Mark

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  4:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised you didn't go for one of these.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  12:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,
I thought of that believe me but couldn't find one big enough to match the drawing. I even looked for metal ones.I finished up the smoke stack today and it is pretty strong. Also since I have the cake pan it will allow me to put speakers in the top of the smoke stack.Going to primer and take some pics.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  11:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is really a fun build to watch, and it's going to be a gorgeous loco!

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  4:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I rummaged through my wife's cupboards again and found a candle holder just the right size for a number plate. First thought was use it. But I left it out on the counter too long and she wanted to know why it was out. So plan B, Id make a mold and cast it. Only problem was I didn't have any mold making compound other than some putty that you mix two parts together and in about two minutes it sets and is ready to cast. however it is mainly used for small part casting this was going to be big. Well I tried it, not very pretty mold but it did the job. I had blown up the number three and put it on matt board and cut it out. I then placed it with hot glue on the candle holder. Made mold cast the plate and with allot of clean up came up with this in a total of about 25 minutes. Allot faster than the regular silicon. It is about 4 inches across.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 10/19/2016 4:17:14 PM

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  02:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

Fantastic modeling and use of "found" objects. They look great but are they kid-proof?

I'm following along with great interest.

Bob

I agree: ingenious use of everyday objects, junk and RRR stuff. Option: use imagination instead of a prototype.
I do similarly, but for models in 1:24 scale, mostly buildings, although I've made 2 mine locos and several cars from junk like fish cans, metal hair rollers and discarded G undies. Sometimes, a piece of junk inspires not one but a group of projects. The second I saw an ugly plastic stool, I knew it would be a harbour management centre... An almost finished inter-modal (truck/train) bulk cargo facility (PC and printer, kitchen stuff, plastic conduit...) went to reconstruction: adding a rotating pedestal (monitor stand) to attach two little lamps with flexible trunks (pneumatic unloading of grain etc..) that reach into the holds of a freighter or barge. Luckily, I did not cut off excess of the 2X8, the rotating stand is now on it, I'm working on the pneumatic unloading system ;)
My first ship (wooden nut bowl, styrofoam, rope, plastic cacao box, sealed lid off a PVC outside electrical box...) and a lake with harbour followed. Then upper lake and connecting river -- the whole thing a hydro-engineering project (I am a civil engineer by profession :)) with high dam, lower dam and pumped storage hydroelectric plant.

I want to have fun, and for it, I have by permission of my wife :) the perimeter of 1 acre lot. Over couple of years I subdued :) 1/3 of it to my empire (several hundred feet of track for the entire length, railroadbed on sheet metal or brick underlay against weed growth and soil pushing by mole, shrew). of which about half is developed on a microscale (all 3 tunnels, umpteen briodges, two to come, filling towns, buildings, streets incomplete... not counting natural areas like "forests" and "praire farms" on lawns that require "low density" models (I have completed several farms of a few types, from second job-in-town, to large horse farm and a dairy farm under construction, herd purchase pending :))
- blending the mainline and side sections into the terrain and its vegetation, going around bigger trees, bypassing geographical obstacles, climbing (elevation diff front to back is about 2.5 m (8 feet), most of track up to 3% slope.
- planning and laying out industrial sites, agricultural areas, towns and villages,
- models from scratch: buildings and structures,
- opportunistic model bashing
- mini-construction on the plan with shovel: tunnels, harbour, open-pit and underground mines,
- setting models on the plan in the garden,
- dreaming of additions like a waterlock system,
- watching the kids play...

Then repair damage after memorable visits -- read "child-proofing tests" :) Shows without "Don't touch!" signs are a way for proofing, as I found recently at a modellers' fair in BC :)) Today was the second day of repairs, a few more to go...
I divide kids into two groups: those disciplined/shy touch carefully, the others (as cute!) go for it, breaking off anything they can, even if their parent constantly watches and reminds them.
The advice to build Bill's project child-proof is right on... which means welding, ABS :))) or no appendages etc.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  1:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No need to worry, I have a habit of over engineering things, this will be plenty child proof. Good points! I think once you see the finished product you will agree. Besides if it breaks it just gives me an excuse to build another one. LOL

Currently working on a whistle. Couldn't find one small enough for the scale so I decided to build one. It's turning out to be amazingly simple.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  5:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After doing some research on the web on whistles, I came up with an idea to use a candle stick I found while visiting Pagosa Springs Junction.

The concept is a single chime whistle using the tube and candle holder. the candle holder was tapered ever so slightly large than the tube. It would act as the bowl of the whistle and the tube as the chime.

The disks will be used for the top, air chamber and the wind way. Use of a 1/4" fitting modified to hold one nut and also allow air out the side of one threaded portion, a threaded rod and a few nuts to hold it tight. Here is a drawing.

All this was done with scissors to cut the brass sheet, a drill and small torch to solder the parts together. Once all put together, I tuned it by raising and lowering the chime, or in this case the candle holder tube. Now when someone says you cant make a single chime whistle out of a candle stick,bet them a hundred bucks and send them to me.I get 60% of course.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 10/20/2016 5:14:31 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2016 :  11:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Brilliant.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  12:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A working whistle?! What fun!

With each new post I'm more and more impressed with your creativity and cleverness.

Piotr Bein
Section Hand

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  01:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Piotr Bein's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mudhenbill

No need to worry

Last weekend, I let kids do whatever they pleased with my models at a show :) Am still doing the repairs, need another week perhaps.
Anyway, the pace of your work is fantastic! How many hours per day?
Why whistle? A bell would cause the neighbours to sue you for noise by-law violation?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  10:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another masterpiece! I continued to be amazed by your innovative approach to each aspect of this project. I can't wait to see what's next.

Mark

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: Layout DEAD RIVER LUMBER Co Topic Next Topic: O scale 2 rail exhibition layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000