Railroad Line Forums - G for Garganchua Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G for Garganchua Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bugs! Slippery rails. Topic Next Topic: New Locomotives
Page: of 17

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  09:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sure looks solid!

Mark

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  11:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yah the bracing wasn't really in the plan until I put the pvc on the corners. It tended to twist so that's why the crazy bracing in the back with scrap. Man is it rigid now! lol. once I fiberglas it I'll see if it's really needed. Either way It won't be seen anyway Oh and you really think I wasn't going to ride this thing? Someone has to teach them to run a locomotive. LOL

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  9:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After all that work, darn straight you better ride the thing! I know I would!

Mark

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  12:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great job!

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  12:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ray. Ok here is one for the books. Rube Goldberg drilling of the axles. I even had to laugh but the results were great! Need a tool? Just ask Bill.com

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  12:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made some design changes to the drive wheels. The original way was a 1/2 thick piece between the spokes. It was too hard to attach so I went with a thin plate and JB welded and clamped it to the spokes. Easier to drill and tap than a 1/2 inch piece of steel as in the picture before.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 02/24/2017 1:21:45 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  12:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, not to seem too pessimistic but doesn't the rod go on the opposite side of the counter weight?

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/24/2017 12:43:05 PM

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  1:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes you are very correct, however for some reason on the one that I am modeling it isn't. Don't know why but just following the real one. I think the real one wasn't even quartered and all the wheels had their own bearings. I watched some of the very limited videos and think they all went on there own.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 02/24/2017 4:02:29 PM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  3:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great project!

Philip

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  3:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look for the the progress

Frank The Cowboybilly

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  7:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Yes you are very correct, however for some reason on the one that I am modeling it isn't.

Now that's just plain weird.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/24/2017 7:38:33 PM

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  12:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe Walt was on vacation when the engineers dreamed it up. Was able to drill out one rod. placed it on to test. Works great. THe rod still needs a lot of work to straighten and polish. Here is a short video. Also I dressed up the wheels a little.

https://youtu.be/r9pDzkP0xtQ

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 02/25/2017 12:53:32 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  09:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! The video is great, showing the entire loco at it's current state. But did I miss something? How are you powering this thing? Again, your craftsmanship and imagination is outstanding.

Mark

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  11:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark, The original was pushed by the tender, I plan to do the same with electric motors. I'll show that when I get to the inside of the tender.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  12:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

When you first started you were so casual in your description that I thought this was going to be a cardboard and duct tape child thing. I was so wrong. What an incredible piece of machinery. I love watching it come together.

What will you use for rail once you get to the point of laying track?

Dave

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: Bugs! Slippery rails. Topic Next Topic: New Locomotives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000