Railroad Line Forums - G for Garganchua Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: harry callahan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G for Garganchua Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Neil Young selling part of this O gauge collection Topic Next Topic: Rail Weight
Page: of 21

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  1:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ask and you shall receive, Ok here is the test fit of the cab on the boiler and frame.

I decided the cab interior needed some piping so I made injector lines and used medical tape for the asbestos wrap and made a plank floor.

The injectors were made by cutting up a couple of brass check valves, glueing together adding some fittings then making a mold and casting. Far from real but with the ten foot rule works fine and adds something to then interior.

I also added something for kids as well as adults, see if you can figure it out.

Being a Car guy also, I have parts laying around so I found a ring gear for a Camaro flywheel. This is what I will use for the Johnson bar.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  7:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also added something for kids as well as adults, see if you can figure it out.

I see a cord hanging down so I'm going with a whistle. OMG give a kid a whistle and hold your ears.

Just beyond words.

Humm I think I recognize that layout against the wall from previous episodes of RRL.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/13/2017 7:19:41 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  12:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'm not sure what is more amazing, the quality of your work, or the amount you have gotten done in three months time! It really looks fantastic!

And as for "added something for kids as well as adults", that's easy! The Mickey Mouse effect with the gauge and the piping! Nicely done!

Mark

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  01:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice "hidden Mickey", as they call them at Disneyland.

I agree with Mark, both the quality and quantity of your work is amazing!

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  01:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BTW, when you first started this and mentioned building it out of cardboard and plastic, I was picturing something much flimsier. This thing's going to be rock solid!

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  02:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, Yes on the whistle, Yes on the hidden Mickey and yes on it being sturdy. This thing is rock solid. Of course like anything if you really wanted to do damage, sure you could damage it. I know you can't feel or see it personally but that gel coat is really something else. Just drilling through it into the cardboard tube is like drilling through concrete.
Well going to Southern California to visit my oldest son for a week, while down there we are going to work on the graphics for the headlight and dome. He's the reason or the hidden Mickey. You might say Mickey is part of the family, at least his voice is.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  09:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might say Mickey is part of the family, at least his voice is.

Humm is this a hint into something interesting, very interesting?

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  12:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thick plottens! I really am enjoying this build and the stories behind it; thanks for sharing.

Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  3:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as Frank said, very interesting! Tell us more!

Mark

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  12:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, since you asked and I kind of put it out there, My oldest son Bret is the official voice for Mickey Mouse. He is the foueth in the line of voice actors which included Walt himself. The last voice was Wayne Allwine who passed away a few years ago. You can imagine what I said and thought when after 4 years of art school and a good job with Hallmark he came to me and told me he was going to quit Hallmark and do the voice of Mickey. I think the first thing I said was can you make a living doing that? well, 110,000 a year latter I guess so. He not only does that which takes up part time status he also runs a design business which is taking off very well. So I guess my worries were all for nothing.
Since I paid for school he has been sequestered for my layout back drop and several other design jobs including the latest pinstriping art on this loco which brings me to where we left off. We worked on them while I was down last week, almost done so I will wait to show you when we cut from the cricut and install.
Meanwhile I mocked up some brackets to make and weld then welded them up.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 07/24/2017 9:41:38 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  6:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well what do ya know. We have a celebrity amongst us... sort of! That's actually very cool that your son is the voice of Mickey. You should be proud! And its good to see you back at work on the loco.

Mark

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  11:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many times have you called out, "oh Toodles" for help?

Are you sure this is going to be "JUST" a backyard thing? The amount of detail going into the loco is nothing short of fantastic.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  4:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Way too many times to count!

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  10:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Both the loco, and your son's cool job. :)

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  10:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Walt were still alive I imagine he would be over looking at your work. It's incredible

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Neil Young selling part of this O gauge collection Topic Next Topic: Rail Weight  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000