Railroad Line Forums - NER 2016 Albany NY convention 'Pacemaker'
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: Patrick Loves Steam ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 NER 2016 Albany NY convention 'Pacemaker'
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: a look at part of abandoned Orient Express Topic Next Topic: Index and Links to Monthly Photo Galleries
Page: of 2

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  3:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw a number of forum members there and visited/operated some nice layouts. During this trip my camera rolled over the picture counter from 9999 back to 0001. I only had time to shoot a few in the Contest room:

Rich Smith's HO scale New Lisbon, WI passenger station.

Rich's 2-stall enginehouse also follows a Milwaukee Road prototype.

Rich's coaling shed follows a circa 1960 MR article.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  3:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These dioramas/modules were entered for display and popular vote. I had to use on-camera flash because the lighting got much worse around the edges of the room.

Left half of a D&H diorama. Cobleskill?

Right half of the D&H diorama.

Bill Brown's 'Bethlehem City' diorama.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  5:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure glad someone took pictures at the convention! I know Bruce usually takes a lot of pics. Any more James?

Mark

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  5:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful models. Thanks for sharing, James.

George

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  5:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice shots, James!

Guys, If he has more, great; if not it may be because he spent most of his Saturday judging in the contest room. Thanks, James!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  9:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. I don't have any more of the contest, sorry. But there was a banquet, and the layouts I got to:

The MMRs present, including three (IIRC) new ones, were lined up for a mug shot. Front row: Mike Tylick (L) Pete Watson, Bill Brown (R). Back row: Vin Gallogly, ???, Bob Hamm, Pete Magoun, Kevin Surman, Bruce DeYoung, ???, Tom Oxnard.

An overview of South Denver Yard on Frank Czubryt's O-scale Denver Union RR.

A D&RGW GP-35 on the first Sedalia switch job meets a Denver Union RR local at Littleton.

This coal drag kept its P&LE caboose all the way from Pennsylvania, but the SP helper was added in Denver.

A compact scene on Rich Smith's HO scale City of Wauwatoga layout.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  9:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A lot of pictures have been taken of Dick Elwell's Hoosac Valley. I hope mine don't leave you yawning...

I liked this treatment of an engine terminal in the roadswitcher era.

I also liked this lattice truss road overpass. I'm thinking of doing something similar in styrene rather than wood for a pedestrian bridge on my own layout.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  9:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More Hoosac Valley shots:

Sorry about the rotation issue.

His lighting is generally quite good, but I would very much enjoy a quiet couple of hours there with a sandbag and maybe one flood on a tall floor stand.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  10:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy Clermont's HO scale Rutland models the line across far-upstate New York, an area I've traveled once or twice a year for quite a while. The combination of good foreground scenery and shot-on-location photo backdrops really captures the feel of the area before the farmers went away and all the trees started growing back.

Andy hasn't built the peninsula for Malone yet, but the Rutland station is ready when he does. I hadn't realized that most of the building still stands; I'll look for it on my next trip through town.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  10:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy is considering ways to add lighting to the underside of the upper deck. A few of the visitors had experience with LED light strips and recommended them.

This drawbridge crossed the navigation channel near Rouse's Point, NY.

I believe this building in North Lawrence, NY was a creamery. [edit] I forgot NEB&W because I didn't index them under the convention.

Edited by - jbvb on 09/20/2016 08:39:29 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  08:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, thanks for opening this thread. At some point I will add some pictures from layouts that we visited.

Michael
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  10:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos of some excellent work. Thanks for posting.

Michael
Kingston, ON

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  10:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, some beautiful layouts up there! Great pics James.

Mark

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  12:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Thank you for the excellent photos here and the conversation we had at the convention.

I'm thinking I should try to attend more NER conventions in the future.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  3:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The New England, Berkshire & Western is the student model RR club of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. When the club was at its most active in the 1980s and '90s, the layout and projects of the members were frequently seen in print.

Now, RPI's emphasis on building security has the club pretty much locked down - only one alum has been given an access card, so nothing happens unless he's around. The basement location and the steam & cold water pipes along the ceiling don't help the layout either.

A street view in Troy, NY.

When the D&H went through downtown Saratoga Springs, NY.

This makes me think of Bartonsville, on the Bellows Falls line, but hold me to it.

Edited by - jbvb on 09/20/2016 3:11:56 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  3:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob Hamm, who is the National Contest Chairman for the NMRA, has a beautiful HOn3 D&RGW layout.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: a look at part of abandoned Orient Express Topic Next Topic: Index and Links to Monthly Photo Galleries  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000