Railroad Line Forums - My first battery-powered R/C Porter loco
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 241 ]  [ Total: 246 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Dead Rail Forum
 My first battery-powered R/C Porter loco
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead Rail in Bmann 0-4-0 Gas Mechanical?? Topic Next Topic: What are your thoughts on the blue rail system?  

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 09/12/2016 :  3:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

today I'd like to share a quite simple and relatively cheap way to turn a standard-issue (non-digital) loco into an R/C workhorse.

Two years ago I bought a used (and beaten up) LGB Toy Train Porter loco, AKA "Rusty". At that time I hoped to get my hands on some affordable basis for a semi-scratchbuilt design.

Turns out the little engine had to endure quite a miserable existence, disassembled in a shoe box for almost 22 months. However, as my Dewey Bros. loco veeeeery slowly but (almost) steadily grows, I needed a prototype for my motive power of choice: battery-powered R/C.

Two weeks ago, I finally found some spare time and money and re-examined a very interesting web-page, concerning this very topic: https://www.themt.de/el-1056-drrg-49.html - R/C battery-powered locomotives (german page)
The idea presented there is quite neat: Take two Li-ion batteries used in Nikon cameras as the power source and combine it with regular R/C components.

Last Saturday, the components arrived. I had an old R/C set lying around (Transmitter / Receiver). The batteries, charging cradles and electronic speed control (ESC) came at just below 60 USD.

The first setup confirmed the proof of concept.
At this point I planned to jam the batteries into the driver's cab or scratch-build a tender. However, a closer look at the Porter's saddle tank gave me an idea. Some sawing and filing later, one of the charging cradles looked like this:
Hello everyone,

today I'd like to share a quite simple and relatively cheap way to turn a standard-issue (non-digital) loco into an R/C workhorse.

Two years ago I bought a used (and beaten up) LGB Toy Train Porter loco, AKA "Rusty". At that time I hoped to get my hands on some affordable basis for a semi-scratchbuilt design.

Turns out the little engine had to endure quite a miserable existence, disassembled in a shoe box for almost 22 months. However, as my Dewey Bros. loco veeeeery slowly but (almost) steadily grows, I needed a prototype for my motive power of choice: battery-powered R/C.

Two weeks ago, I finally found some spare time and money and re-examined a very interesting web-page, concerning this very topic: https://www.themt.de/el-1056-drrg-49.html - R/C battery-powered locomotives (german page)
The idea presented there is quite neat: Take two Li-ion batteries used in Nikon cameras as the power source and combine it with regular R/C components.

Last Saturday, the components arrived. I had an old R/C set lying around (Transmitter / Receiver). The batteries, charging cradles and electronic speed control (ESC) came at just below 60 USD.

The first setup confirmed the proof of concept.
At this point I planned to jam the batteries into the driver's cab or scratch-build a tender. However, a closer look at the Porter's saddle tank gave me an idea. Some sawing and filing later, one of the charging cradles looked like this:

Encouraged, I took on the saddle tank.... with a blow-torch. Some warming and a not-so-gentle pull with an alligator wrench would persuade the lead ballast inside the saddle tank (more precisely: its glue) to give way to my resized battery holders. Unfortunately, I underestimated the heat output of my blow-torch, the saddle tank had some serious case of bend-n-melt. However, most of it is hidden by the driver's cab.
The next step was to open the boiler:

Two cross-cuts, followed by some work with a cutting disk were enough to make some more space for the power packs:

It was only then that I realized I might just be able to place the receiver in the boiler as well:

Alas, this was a bit of too tight a fit. So back to the blow-torch, and this time I managed to remove the lead ballast without damaging the boiler. In the end, this is where the receiver found its place:

And a close-up on the battery packs:

My little Porter engine at the end of a busy afternoon:

Of course, there's still plenty of work to do: The receiver's antenna is stuffed into the driver's cabin. The gear and details have to be redone. I'm planning on scratch-building a new driver's cabin. Maybe there's room for some more R/C features. The main power switch will be hidden under the bell. The list goes on.

Right now I have no track to test her, but this will hopefully change at the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, if you have any questions, comments, etc., I'll be happy to oblige.

Best regards,

Frédéric

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 09/12/2016 :  3:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, something went wrong with my formatting...
@Moderator: Could you please delete the double part of my previous post? I can't seem to do this myself. Thanks!

Previous Topic: Dead Rail in Bmann 0-4-0 Gas Mechanical?? Topic Next Topic: What are your thoughts on the blue rail system?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000