Railroad Line Forums - Laying tracks on a wharf / dock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 56 ]  [ Total: 64 ]  [ Newest Member: Opa George ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Laying tracks on a wharf / dock
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cutting PBC Tie Strips Topic Next Topic: 3-D Background Tenements  

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  7:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am finally back at my bench and thinking as usual about that dream layout build.

As always i have been heading towards a west coast logging short line with wharf to transport cargo in and out from the RR

I'm looking at tackling projects as modules that can be incorporated in a layout when i finally build my large shed.

I am keen to build a wharf scene that has 3 parallel tracks.
1 serving the boats, the middle for switching and car storage and the rear for backdrop industry track.

Im having trouble thinking how to lay the rail on the wharf. the actual construction of the wharf from scale strip wood is no issue for me but incorporating the tracks into it all is puzzling me.

I would like to see / hear example of how people tackled this themselves. One thought i had was to lay pcb tie on the bears of the wharf then solder directly to this and run the decking boards parallel to the track.

Any advice and images would be very much appreciated.
Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  8:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adrian,

Carl B's construction of the Red Herring Packng Company is one approach: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45967&whichpage=32

Craig Bisgeier has built a large pier: http://www.housatonicrr.com/const_journal_3.htm

You might get some guidance from these two sites.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  9:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Prototype track on a wood pier is built on what's effectively a trestle with pier on one or both sides. I hand-laid track on wood bridge ties by applying Goo to the base of the rail, letting it dry, gauging/aligning it and applying a soldering iron to melt the glue & bond it in place. I used a few spikes in drilled holes every 16 or so ties and it's stood up to module handling for almost 20 years.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  11:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, both have provided me with some good ideas on how to proceed with my drawings and design ideas.

Any more ideas out there?

Owen Pass Lumber Company

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  12:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adrian,
if you want a wharf that was built in the 19th century don't use Campbell's as your prototype.
I guess I should say I don't. I have found several good examples but will share two here that I'll use in building my wharf.
This first the Sacramento River. Notice the two deck heights;

And the port of Oakland;

Notice that the rail is on top and not embedded into the decking.

It's only make-believe

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  05:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking at photos of railroad tracks laid on piers, I see most have the rails just laid on top of the deck rather than being recessed.

Most have the track on one side of the pier in what looks like normal trestle design.

To the right (or left) of the railroad tracks, there is a wooden walkway for people.

The only railroad on a pier that I am familiar with is that of Port Harford which is next to Avila Beach, California.

If you do a Google search for:

Port Harford pier

and then click on Images, you will find some good photos.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  09:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

...Notice that the rail is on top and not embedded into the decking.

Very interesting. Notice the size of the rolling stock. I suspect that the wharf was built either for horse drawn wagons or like one and then the track spiked to the decking, as opposed to a wharf specifically designed for rail transport. The conversion of existing wharfs to rail traffic must have been common at one time and probably practical because of the lighter rolling stock of the times.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  10:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, member Bbags, did The Wharf at Kelley's Landing, and shows steps he took to build the tracks into the pier. His approach is simple and easy to do with a fantastic looking outcome. See here starting about page #3; The Wharf at Kelley's Landing http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24197&whichpage=1

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  6:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this depends upon the use of the pier.

If the ties are laid directly on the "trestle" then it would be hard to move goods across those tracks.

By adding decking materials between the rails and beside the rails cargo could easily be moved from side to side.

And it would be more safe for pedestrians.

On the Port Harford pier the track was removed decades ago and now it is just truck and foot traffic on the pier.

I have a bunch of photos of the Port Harford pier as it is today at this URL:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/108325494675031357849/album/AF1QipOWBknCGsltO3UVDYGNTiu8k0814DvFwncu4Bwk

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  7:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darryl, Thanks for the pictures there. Will give me something to browse in my morning tea break at work today.

Rca2, That is an interesting point about the rail size and rolling stock. it all seems to fit in place. I have a number of Australian prototype books that show mining operations that all started with horse drawn carts on wharf's then progressed to rail transport as time went by.

I think the ages / history of the wharf would add to the scene and the accuracy / authenticity of the modelling. Since i have no particular prototype i think its worth adding to the narrative of the railroad before looking at the finer details. Certainly an interesting concept.

Louis, My original thoughts were something similar to what you have shared or rather a combination of that with something like the wharf on Leigh Creek Lumber by Geoff Nott but then i see prototype images like the Oakland Peir above and it gets me thinking again.

Owen Pass Lumber Company

Previous Topic: Cutting PBC Tie Strips Topic Next Topic: 3-D Background Tenements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000