Railroad Line Forums - Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 Outside Braced Caboose Progress
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company Topic Next Topic: Paul Scoles Layout  

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  09:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only piece of rolling stock that I don't have is a caboose. Because of 1:1 projects and on-going pain problems with my spinal arthritis, this project has been on-and-off for quite awhile. I've started back at it and here's some slow-but-gittin'-there progress pics of my caboose rough-out so far. It's made up of the usual steel angle bracing and uprights with a steel frame and horizontal wooden sides. It scales out to about 32' over the end sills...just right for a narrow gauge hack. I noticed that the angle brace located to the right of the door needs to be reversed (sigh). All exterior sections need to be finished square and tight with no gaps, glue smears, or anything else that will show up under a paint job, hence the green filler putty. I'll give them all a coat of primer when ready to see what shows up and will need to be taken care of.

In this view is one of the end doors. The other end platform is built and waiting installation. The HO steps are ones that I had in the parts box and they look proportional, me thinks.

Here's the under-frame. It's almost completed with an air brake cylinder, piping, and brake rods. It temporarily sits on PBL freight trucks that I'll swap out for caboose or passenger trucks.

Next up will be to make up a pair of small slide-opening windows and install the sliding door. After that, I'll build the opposite exterior wall. I struggled with figuring out the bracing configuration and that ate up a lot of time. That should go faster now that I know what I'm doing and where I want this to go! Eventually it will have a removable roof for viewing the detailed interior. It'll also have plenty of the rivets that go along with this type of construction, too. This is going to take a good bit of time to complete, but I'll post pics as I go along. Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  10:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks real good Russ. Hope that arthritis gets under control.

Jim

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  12:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Looks real good Russ. Hope that arthritis gets under control.

Thanks, Jim! What I have is a problem involving thinning discs combined with worsening lumbar stenosis and spondylosis. I have bone growth impinging on a nerve root going into my right hip and it creates a lot of pain. I can only walk about 200' max with a cane and can't bend or rotate from the waste or else I stiffen up painfully, too. I've gone through three corticosteroidal spinal injections so far and they've completely lost their effectiveness. I take meds that take the edge off of the pain, but it's hard on me psychologically. It's just a matter of time before the doctors at the VA Hospital in Cleveland finally run out of treatment options and decide on surgery. Unfortunately this has really reduced my bench time. Sooooo that's where things are now. Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited by - slimrails on 08/31/2016 12:11:25 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  12:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you at the workbench, Russ. I hope you can get that surgery sooner rather than later.

When I saw your first picture, my first impression of the green stuff was you had moss growing on the wood.

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  3:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

When I saw your first picture, my first impression of the green stuff was you had moss growing on the wood.

George, at the pace I've been working at it wouldn't surprise me!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  07:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you are still working on it Russ, sorry to hear about your problems with your back.

nevadablue
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  01:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice model.

I have/had all those lower back big words you said. Find the best neurosurgeon you can and let him cut. I can send you my doctors' info by PM if you want, and he may be able to recommend someone in your area. I had surgery 3 years ago this month. One fusion and a bunch of laminectomies, and some titanium parts thrown in for good luck. I can do whatever my old body wants now. Arthritis will return, but the major problems I had are gone. My legs would go numb and I would just fall. Now I can lift 50 pound sacks of feed and do all the stuff that it takes to keep the place running.
Go for it!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  05:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, Russ. Good luck with the arthritis.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  08:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see this project pop up, Russ.

Hopefully they will find a solution for your back issues. Hang in there.

Previous Topic: The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company Topic Next Topic: Paul Scoles Layout  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000