Railroad Line Forums - New W&N
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 220 ]  [ Total: 220 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 New W&N
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: prototype for single stall switcher house?
Page: of 7

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2020 :  10:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incredible work. Iím anxious to get things moving on this next layout so I can start building structures and rolling stock. Maybe my favorite part after research.

R

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  1:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have created an entry in the "How To's" on my web page about building the helix on the new portion of the W&N:

https://wnbranch.com/how-tos/building-a-helix/

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Edited by - dave1905 on 10/05/2020 1:34:37 PM

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/24/2020 :  6:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Looks like someone was burning the midnight oil and a lot of scrap paper on this one! Good job!!

But, I think the LP on your trains may think they have entered a "time warp"!

Greg R.

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  09:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Latest venture is my passenger staging area, Reading Outer Station.

I originally was just going to put a couple staging tracks near Birdsboro to hold passenger trains, but on the prototype the freight trains terminated at Birdsboro and the passenger trains went on into Reading, so I decided to move my passenger staging to the lower level. The station at Reading was a train shed on all three sides of a wye. I realized that I could use the trains shed to mimic the narrow opening of the staging area.

I laid the track, painted the city of Reading on the backdrop. I still needed to hide the transition between the backdrop and the physical layout. I decided that since there was a freight yard next to the leg of the wye that was used by the W&N Branch trains, I would put a string of freight cars to simulate the yard.

I photographed (several times to get the right angle) strings of freight cars. I then resized the pictures to about 60% of actual size, to create perspective, printed them, cut them out and glued them to the back drop.

The car pictures:

The scene with the "yard" in place and a mock up of the train shed, with the LED light I will use :

Next step is to start working on building the ornate portal of the train shed:

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  09:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I donít think Iíve ever seen that done. Ingenious!

The train shed portal is going to make a very striking model.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/25/2020 12:43:00 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2020 :  09:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Mike said!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  11:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Dave. They sure knew how to build fancy structures back then. I look forward to seeing how you handle that.
That Helix is really impressive.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/27/2020 :  1:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice technique! I like how you will be in the platform as the train pulls in.

Scott

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  11:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I started working on Birdsboro, the northern terminus of my layout, in November, with the goal of laying 18-20 switches by the end of December.

Here is a picture of the yard at the end of November, wit the switch templates being laid out to finalize the track plan.

By Dec 1 I had all the ties in place.

Christmas Day I finished laying the track I needed to make Birdsboro operational and to allow the temporary staging to be removed. The work included 3 #6 switches, 3 curved switches, 1 #5 3way switch, 16 #5 switches, all in code 70. 16 ft of main and wye in code 70. 4 staging tracks (32 ft) in code 70 (24 ft handlaid) and 22 ft of yard track handlaid in code 55.

Other useless statistics, about 3000 track ties, 750 switch ties, 4200 spikes.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

Edited by - dave1905 on 12/26/2020 12:07:48 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  12:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking track work, Dave.

George

Fly Army

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  1:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a great display of energy and focus, Dave.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  1:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, how do you drive the spikes? Do you drill pilot holes, or just push them into the ties? (I can't say I've had much luck just pushing the small spikes into wood ties without a pilot hole...)

dave

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  2:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use what I call a "pick". I take a 3/4" long piece of 1/4" dowel and drill a 1/16" hole i down the center. A 1" long piece of 1/16" dia brass tube is super glued in the hole. I get a #8 or 9 embroidery needle and solder it into the brass tube. I then use that to punch a hole in the tie and drive the spike into the hole. The time you lose punching the hole you gain in being able to spike 95% of the spikes on the first try.

I used "regular" needle nose pliers when I drove ME small spikes and bought Micro Mark spike driving pliers also. They worked great with the small spikes. When I went to ME Micro spikes, I bought a pair of the Micro Mark fine nose pliers and found they were easier for me to use. YMMV.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  3:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, that 'pick' is a great idea.

dave

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  3:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's some nice looking track works Dave. Those turnouts are WOW.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: prototype for single stall switcher house?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000