Railroad Line Forums - New W&N
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 New W&N
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar
Page: of 4

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  9:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At this year's New England RPM I saw a presentation on modeling coal docks of that type. I don't know if it will ever become an article, but the modeler had done some interesting photo and document research. Alas, this year's program is no longer on the nerpm.org web site.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  04:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress! Especially like the newly forested area. Those trees look very nice.

Håkan

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  12:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since Photobucket decided to be a paid service, and there aren't any instructions or intuitive way to make a photo album on this site, I can't really post too many pictures on the new progress. However there are two thread on my blog entry on the MRH site.

This one chronicles the construction of the bridge at Elsmere Jct.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/30666

The latest one covers the construction and scenery at the cut, just north of Elsmere Jct.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/30952

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

cofg25
New Hire

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  12:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

Dave, the above should be the link on how to post photos.

Mike

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  10:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cofg25

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

Dave, the above should be the link on how to post photos.

Thanks, I've read those. Every time I try that I get an error message that that operation is not allowed:

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'
Operation not Allowed
/forum/outputFile.asp, line 13

.... and when I go to Photo Albums, it says I don't have a photo album account.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  04:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple shots of the Dupont Rd bridge at Elsmere. It is scratchbuilt from styrene, based on bridge in the Reading, PA area.

Continuing northward is the cut, it is a scenic divider between Elsmere and Montchanin.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

possum
New Hire

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  08:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can not see the images on page one, but I can see the images on page two. Awesome! Once I get my space, I plan on modeling the fall of 1905-10 in the Ozarks. Why this era? I have the same voice in my head that Dave E. has!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  09:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, It's great to see new photos of your progress.

- Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  9:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave

It's only make-believe

ekul24
New Hire

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  06:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Send ekul24 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice work Dave. The fall backdrop blends nicely with your foreground trees.

Luke Blackbeard

http://thoroughfaregaprailroad.blogspot.co.nz/

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  09:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great autumn scenery Dave! I agree with Luke the trees blends very nicely with the backdrop.

Håkan

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  1:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

One of my concerns about doing autumn was being able to match the ground foam colors with the backdrop and not having the tree colors too garish. Using more "earth tone" paints and blending the ground foam helped on both accounts.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  1:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I was born at The Reading Hospital.
Lived in that area half my 74 years on planet Earth.
ed

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  11:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The next big leap is to start working on Coatesville. Coatesville is about the middle of the layout and furthest north point on the first phase of the layout. It was a major iron and steel making center, having numerous rolling mills, it was called the "Pittsburgh of the east" around the turn of the century.

I had originally planned a generic steel mill there, based on the Lukens Plant. I posted some of the plans on the MRH forum and got a lot of helpful feedback that explained a lot of the things that I had been wondering about and caused a lot of the little bits of information I had to coalesce. Here is my original plan, a typical steel mill with a blast furnace on the left and rolling mills on the right:

I found that what I had been modeling as one mill was, in fact, 3 separate mills in my era and that some of the features I was modeling didn't exist in my era, like the blast furnances. Evidently the feedstock was pig iron and some scrap. Originally they used "puddling mills" to turn iron into steel, but had instituted open hearth furnances. Originally there was a samller Lukens plant east of the creek and then it expanded west of the creek. while my Lukens plant is west of the creek, the footprint is very close to the original plant footprint, so I decided to model that. Armed with new information and an understanding of what was on the Sanborn maps, I revised the plan to come up with a new track plan. Here is the revised plan:

The layout was designed to build in phases, so the first phase of building "Y Tower" in the center of Coatesville is underway. I have temporary track on the alignment of the siding, which gives me room to build the rest of Coatesville, while still permitting operation.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

Edited by - dave1905 on 11/05/2017 11:11:39 AM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  7:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Dave, you've got a LOT of switching opportunities/operation in that schematic. What's the overall footprint of that scene?

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000