Railroad Line Forums - HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nootka Valley Caboose Restoration Topic Next Topic: Minuteman Scale Models iCar
Page: of 20

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  3:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Modeling still continues in fits and starts, but here are a few updates. The MDC 36 ft boxcar above is progressing slowly. After brushing on several washes of thin colors to the sides I stopped to consider adding a lumber door to the A end of the car. But that would mean stripping paint that was looking pretty good so far, so decided not to add a door to this car.

Hereís a side view after about eight thin washes of coloring. The last wash turned out a little shiny, so will have to flatten it out again when done. A couple Jack Delano photos, including the one for the roof above on page 5, served as reference for the colors.

One of my favorite things is using stuff on hand in new ways. While prototypical accuracy is paramount on projects for the NEB&W, I am not a stickler for prototype fidelity for my freelanced C&VRR. Here is the beginning of a second MDC 36 ft boxcar conversion. This one uses one of the older Old Time kits. It came with separate doors and their tracks and an attached roof. The Tichy doors and tracks will be shortened to fit.

Here is one of the photos from the NEB&W collection used as reference.

The green fishbelly sides are from an old Mantua well flatcar of some kind. The stake pockets were carved off and all details sanded and scraped off to thin the sides down to just a hair thinner than the sides of the boxcar. The MDC boxcar shell fit just about perfectly over the raised part of the well. Rivets yet to be added. The ends of the flatcar were also cut off and Iím still looking for suitable replacements.

The rest of the Athearn 40ft underfame used on the other MDC boxcar above will be used for the bolsters and couple pockets for this car.

The trucks for this car came from an MDC Old Time tank car kit that is another project progressing slowly (very slowly right now).

After all that introduction, the main reason for introducing this second shorty boxcar is to show the lumber door added to the B end. The C&V serves several lumberyards (only one is modeled on the layout) and lumber doors were pretty common on boxcars then. A bit of research showed that the doors were anything but standard size or design. Hereís the one selected to use as a guide.

Hereís my simplified version of it. The door and guides are an ice hatch from an old MDC reefer kit that I converted to a milk car. The bottom guide was thinned a little and Tichy NB&Ws were added along the top track to more closely approximate the look of the original. The boards on the lumber door match the siding on the boxcar, so it all looks like it goes together. All the siding got grained and scratched to impart age to the car.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 12/09/2016 6:46:00 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  5:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, that's quite he ingenuity there on using other car parts to make what you need. That lumber door looks very close to what the real one looked like. Excellent kitbashing.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  6:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  7:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job on the modifications, Bill.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  8:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

That ended well!

Nicely done.

Pete
in Michigan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  9:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce. Thanks, Pete.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  9:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Interesting and well-done kitbashes you have in the works. That BA&P car looks rather unusual to me.

Great photo of the old CP Despatch car. I printed off a copy for my files along with print-offs of the ORER entries for the CP. This car appears to have been built between 1888 and 1892. Although a little late for my 1888 railroad it has the same dimensions as earlier 33' cars so might become a model. Now the question for me is whether CP cars wandered down to Auburn NY during my period.

I'm impressed by your ability to identify components for the BA&P boxcar from existing kits.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2016 :  08:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, Glad that CP Despatch photo might be useful for you.

The NEB&W has photos of a couple other similar BA&P cars and one Lake Superior & Ishpeming. One of them is in color and I concluded when I saw it about 10 years ago that meant it was close enough for my layout's time frame. It wasn't until much later and several false stars that bits and pieces laying around began to collect themselves in a way that suggested they might work to create a plausibly similar model.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  5:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Modeling time has been scarce lately. Several projects are on hold waiting for warm weather to spray paint outside. Here's another one that was almost completed not too long ago:
Adding a New England Rail Services 1/2 door conversion kit for Accurail 4000, 4100, 4200, 4300 series boxcars

I got the conversion kit directly from New England rail services at an Amherst Train Show. It came with two slightly different style doors. One matches the Accurail door hardware and the other is prototypically correct for those who want to relocate the metal strap on the Accurail door.

Walthers also lists the kit #529-1000 (currently not in stock, but expected in January). But it only shows the style door matching the Accurail hardware.

The kit is excellent and fits just right with only a tiny cut on the Accurail sides!

The C&V RR has three Accurail SS boxcars that started out as data only kits. Decaling on one of them went badly and removing them took paint off the car, so it sat in a box for a couple years until getting the half door kit.
Heres a comparison. The half door car on the left and the stock Accurail car on the right.

The Accurail trucks had gotten metal wheelsets and weathered previously.

The running board got a pre-weathering wipe with solvent to remove some of the red oxide paint (similar to the mishap removing the decals). Then small spots of red oxide were added in the gaps between the boards to represent the tops of the running board saddles.

The car will get a little more weathering overall, but less than the other C&V car in the above photo because this car has been more recently shopped to be converted to 1 1/2 door car for shipping furniture and appliances.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  8:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat projects Bill. I like the rolling stock of that era.

BTW, Happy New year.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  8:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

That's a spiffy conversion kit. I assume the doors on the Accurail car are not separate casings; otherwise the conversion kit would include accurate replacements. I'm trying to imagine scraping the strap off and applying a new one without leaving lots of evidence what was done.

Nice seeing your work again.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  9:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, yes, the Accurail kit is a one piece body with the door and other details molded in place, but I believe it's only that horizontal metal strap across the middle of the door that is in a different location on the prototype, so that is the only detail that needs to be removed. I believe the conversion kit I got included a pair of replacement straps for those who wanted to shave off the Accurail straps. Since the original Accurail doors happen to match the prototype of my freelanced C&VRR exactly, I had no need to replace the straps :)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  9:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had one of those half-door kits for years, but haven't had the proper AccuRail part number handy when I've been anyplace where they're sold...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, nice looking modification. Are the half door mods only for the outside braced cars?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  10:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, your knowledge & attention to detail on these cars is impressive!

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: Nootka Valley Caboose Restoration Topic Next Topic: Minuteman Scale Models iCar  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000