Railroad Line Forums - HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: P&LE Breadbox Cover Coil Gon
Page: of 10

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  3:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooo, slipped in a sleeper pair of puns there, Frank, Nice!.
I guess if I were to coach you in weathering (yeah, like you'd need it with all the good stuff you've posted!), observation would be the best method, my parlor or yours?

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2016 :  2:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice batch of cars Bill. I especially like the weathering on the improved boxcars, they look great. This is a great thread to visit for some rolling stock inspiration.

-Cody

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2016 :  6:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Cody. I'll be adding more to this thread from time to time, trying to keep everything in one place.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  11:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first two photos below were also initially posted on the NOV'16 photo forum on weathering, but the rest for this project (Detailing and painting an MDC OlD Time 36 ft boxcar) will be posted here with my other rolling stock projects.

The technique is somewhat like the underpainting artists may do to establish the paintings values and forms before "glazing" them with color. But in this case the underpainting is intended to create subtle undertones of color. So, for example here, instead of weathering the wooden siding and rusting the metal on top of the car's paint, much of that will be done before the car is "painted". That way the rust and graying wood will peek through the thin paint rather than float on top of it. I used the same method on the Civil War gondola and liked the results. Dirt, grime, splattered mud, dust, soot, etc. will be added later on top of the paint.

This project began with an undecorated kit, the 'newer' MDC version with the molded-on door and separate roof) After adding/changing some details, the body and roof were sprayed with Krylon Gray primer. It's a little darker than I'd like, but was what was available at the time. The primer cured for a week before adding preliminary weathering using very thin washes of acrylic craft paints and brushes. Even though all the 'metal' parts were given a rusty wash, some of that may be completely covered when the car is painted.

This Jack Delano photo from the Library of Congress was used as a guide for weathering the roof, but I did not attempt to copy it exactly.

Here's my adaptation: The kit's "wooden" roof was covered with two pieces of 0.005 in styrene that were notched to fit around the running board. Styrene 2x4 strips were glued on top of the saddles to compensate for the added thickness of the roof and then they were sanded flat and thinned to match their original height. Styrene strips were added to represent a Murphy roof.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 01/09/2017 1:41:03 PM

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  7:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, were you at Timonium earlier this month?

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  8:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Railrunner130, No, haven't gotten to that show. Something similar there?

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  10:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the White Elephant table there was a few items with Bill Gill listed as the seller. I wouldn't think that's a common name, but I guess perhaps it is.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  6:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the underside of this 36 ft MDC boxcar. The modification was adapted from a similar build by John Nehrich.

The kit's original metal underframe was used for its weight, but instead of adding the queen posts and truss rods, a section of underframe from an Athearn 40 ft boxcar was cut to fit between the bolsters.

The brake components are a mix of Tichy and other parts from a leftover drawer.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 11/28/2016 6:09:24 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  6:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Another great Nehrich-inspired adaptive reuse. You're going to have a very fine model when you're finished.

Scraping off molded-on details like you did is something I've done, but it never grabbed me.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  8:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Thanks for bolstering this project.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  07:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting modification Bill. Very good looking detail.

Bernd

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  08:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is some very nice re-work and detailing going on here, Bill.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  3:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd & Bruce. I enjoy this kind of modeling as it fits my budget and tools.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  5:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, Really enjoying your modifications, modelling ect of these cars. Im becoming more and more interested in unique cars out there and modelling of different steam era cars. Finding your work very good for inspiration and i should really tackle some projects for my own RR.

With the US to AUD dollar at the moment it makes getting equipment here very expensive so kitbashing and scratch building is becoming the economical choice.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  07:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Adrian. I like unique cars too and have ideas for a couple more. Right now all modeling is progressing in fits and starts, but there will be more on this project.

Page: of 10 Topic Next Topic: P&LE Breadbox Cover Coil Gon  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000