Railroad Line Forums - HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Valley X58 Boxcar
Page: of 14

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  07:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Sharp looking cars. You did a fine job on them both. Those corner straps are a nice detail.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  7:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike.

Here's the B end of the B&M milk car. Basically the only change here is the Tichy bracket for the bottom of the brake staff. The open piece looked better than the solid Accurail part (and, so far, it hasn't been snapped off!)

Having one milk car is like eating one potato chip, so after finishing B&M 1852 for my layout I started looking around for others to assemble a short milk train. Someday there will be 5 milk cars total making up the train. I need to get decals for the three that will be C&V cars before that can happen. Here is another Accurail reefer that eventually will be lettered for the C&V. To make this freelanced car look different than the B&M car made from the same kit, I changed a few things around. This car had the ice hatches removed but not the roof ribs. This car has drop grab irons instead of straight. No corner straps. The brake details, both under the car and on the end are different and this one rides on express trucks. Small changes, not a lot of changes, but enough that the cars don’t look identical when coupled next to each other.

Here's the B end of the C&V milk car. The car has yet to be decaled and weathered.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  7:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done cars, Bill.

Pete
in Michigan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  7:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete, the green car has a long way to go yet. First got to get some "gold" decals, then weather the car (and straighten that bent brake staff).

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  10:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

That will be a nice string of milk cars. The days of milk trains and creameries were a little later than my layout's era, 1888. Too bad, because creameries were interesting structures and milk cars were pretty classy. Can't have everything.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  06:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. It'll be a mixed string of cars too. The three not posted here include a C&V 36ft milk car adapted from an MDC old time reefer as per an MR article by John Nehrich sometime in the 1990s, a 40ft Athearn/Roundhouse milk car that will get relettered for the C&V and a 50ft CV milk car that I'd forgotten someone gave me. That one has silver sides and green lettering and I think it is another MDC kit. So although three of the cars will be home road, no two are alike. Five cars is a long train on the C&V, and occasionally the milk run might have some other head end car or cars too.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  08:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Your cars reminded me of some I have stashed away that'll need some up grading like yours.

Nice looking cars. I like the subtle weathering. great job.

Bernd

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  07:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd.

Here is a car I just finished for the club. It has been in the works for a couple years, traveling back and forth for various bits of work. This is the first (and so far only) resin kit I built for the club. It’s a Sunshine Models NYC express reefer.

I built it pretty much as is except, as requested, I made the underfame removable in case future maintenance or modifications need to be done. I also used bronze wire grab irons and bent the rest of the plumbing and piping out of that too because it is sturdier than the soft brass wire in the kit. I also made the corner and center steps out of the same wire that I flattened by placing it between two small steel bars and whacking it with a hammer.

Most of the head end and passenger equipment on the layout is modeled as pretty clean, but the kit instructions included photos of several prototype cars and the faded, patched look of 5905 seemed like a nice variation and fit the time period.

The kit included numbers for several of the cars seen in the photos, a nice touch. The assembled car was airbrushed by another club member with a faded green and lighter patches.

I decaled and weathered it. The decals were old and several broke. “CENTRAL” broke into at least eight pieces (on the other side). Luckily only one small NYC and one number broke on this side. It took awhile, but I managed to fit everything back together passably OK because there weren’t any extras.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

An express reefer expressly fer the club.

Great job on that kit. It has a an interesting look and I like what you did with the paint. Really captures the look of the prototype.

I bet we've all had our disasters with decals. I recently had a struggle with a dry transfer that would not transfer try as I might.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  11:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job, I've never seen a car like this before. But then I don't live near the NYC.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  12:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another very cool car Bill!
You just keep on expressing your creations here!

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  1:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Yes, decals can sometimes be a handful even when tiny. Do you have custom dry transfers? If so how do you like them? where did you get them?

Greg, Nice You Commented { that was all that was left ;) } Thanks!

Frank, I think REA was one of the first to build express reefers to haul high value perishables like fruit & veggies, seafood, cut flowers and sometimes milk. The cars had ice bunkers like a regular reefer, but were equipped with high speed passenger type trucks and brake systems so they could run at the head of express trains. The NYC built theirs between about 1920-30. I read that the NYC cars had collapsible ice bunkers on the ends so that sometimes they could be folded up to make more room for milk cans which were stood on the floor and covered with crushed ice. By the time of the club layout the remaining cars were showing their age.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 08/04/2016 1:45:17 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  11:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

No, they were not custom. For some reason there was a problem with the backing material. A one-off none-off occurrence, I hope.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  1:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here’s an example of why belonging to the club is always interesting, I get to work on things that I’d never come across for my C&VRR. Although NEB&W 261 is posed on my layout, neither of these brass passenger cars (Rutland prototype) can negotiate the curves on my layout. The radius is OK, but the side clearances are too tight for the overhang.

They were already painted & lettered for the NEB&W by a RMRRS club member. I was asked to add a semblance of an interior and very light weathering to them. I added glazing and window shades as well.

During the time period of the NEB&W passenger service had declined noticeably, so only a few passengers ride in combine 261. There is an illusion of an interior and light weathering.

Along with the combine came coach 552. I added a suggestion of interior and a few more passengers. This coach got barely weathered, concentrating on the underframe, trucks and ends.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  1:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe you could combine some weathering techniques and coach me on them.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/07/2016 1:57:56 PM

Page: of 14 Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Valley X58 Boxcar  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000