Railroad Line Forums - Port of Los Angeles Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Port of Los Angeles Layout
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Maine Highlands Topic Next Topic: Korean Railway (KORAIL) Equipment
Page: of 3

bkempins
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  10:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been working on a new layout for a book I am doing for Kalmbach. This is an HO scale layout set in the modern (2014) time period in Los Angeles. In case you are wondering, I do not plan to get rid of my O Scale civil war layout. This HO layout is "temporary." I plan to keep it until at least 2018 when we expect to host a group of visiting layout operators in the Washington DC area. At that point, I'll disassemble the HO layout and probably expand my ACW layout. That's the current plan anyway.

Here are some photos of the HO layout. If you want to see more, please visit my blog at www.usmrr.blogspot.com.

Bernard Kempinski

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  12:04:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding Bernard'. Very informative blog site'..Excellent modeling'..and history'..

ted :<)

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  12:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  01:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
outstandin god please more piktures

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  07:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superb. Aside from the great modeling, the light/atmosphere really captures the feel of LA, especially in the first shot.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernie,

That's great work and your photos really do it justice. I am particularly impressed by the roadwork with the rails in concrete. Excellent job. It's hard to do that kind of work convincingly.

Also, the foreground and backdrop blend together so well.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

bkempins
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  10:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,
How I did the roads is a topic that will be covered in the book. Modern ports are essentially large parking lots, so paved areas are important.

Bernard Kempinski

fireman93514
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  11:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incredible realism.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  3:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very realistic. The roading is extremely convincing!

Cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  3:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's enough modeling there to satisfy any thirsty appetite for details. Very nice Bernard.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  9:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work!

Mark

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  1:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Saw one of those 6 axle zebra stripes going thru Barstow Yard '98/'99. Didn't even have the RR name on it yet being so "new". Found out later it went to PHL & the GM was a railfan!

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  1:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernard, really fantastic looking work & scenes!

Greg Shinnie

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  04:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply amazing!

Dave

"there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  09:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernard, Your book should get a lot of attention. The modeling and photos are top notch. What is the overall size? I think Bob Smaus's port was about 3 ft x 6 ft.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  09:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernard every time I look at the asphalt in the first picture I canít believe itís a model. Itís the best asphalt Iíve ever seen. And thanks for the link to Alkem Scale Models in your blog. Iím definitely up for some chain link fence; I just need to figure out where to put it.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Maine Highlands Topic Next Topic: Korean Railway (KORAIL) Equipment  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000