Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 22

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  7:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Thanks for additional input. My HVAC does have a filtration system in it, but I'm sure the systems you and Hakan mentioned would be more effective/efficient.

Mike:

You said: "I'm looking forward to seeing your layout progress."

Me too! It only dawned on me a few weeks ago that all I needed to do was get the hobby desk in place, move the kits n' supplies, and I could start using my building! Why, I could start the benchwork!! Then it also dawned on me: DUH... I don't even have a track plan! (I scuttled the previous track plans that were using up too much of the room.) By the way, just recently I almost poop-canned the entire idea of trying to have a TOC19 layout, but I just couldn't give up the dream. As for a track plan: I'm trying another approach to fit in a mainline and still avoid all the room's landmines I'm trying to avoid. As for what I come up with for a layout: I'm sure that my approach to TOC19 will not be everyone's cup of tea... but I want to try my hand at the things that I have found compelling about TOC19 modeling for many, many years.

MR'ing Law Of Relativity: Mr. Eisenbahn was spot on! It's amazing how quickly a room shrinks once the drawing-to-scale starts taking place!

(Hm: "Eisenbahn" - Deutsch for "Railway"... clever you are!!)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  11:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update of sorts...

Layout:

Still beating my head against the wall trying to come up with a steam layout I can be happy with.

Other stuff:

* Getting ready to put in a Kadee order for wheels/etc so I can start converting my AHM rolling stock to have metal wheel sets and couplers and adding metal grabs/etc. I'm hoping to start getting a batch of AHM rolling stock ready for paint/decals over the coming weeks.

* Starting the research process needed so I can install my first sound decoder. I have a Bachmann "new tooling" DCC-ready 4-4-0 Western & Atlantic into which I will be installing sound. I'm hoping I can fit in a Soundtraxx Tsunami 2 TSU-1100 steam decoder and one of Soundtraxx's smallest speakers. I so hope I can fit in the T2 TSU-1100 because it has an "on the fly" adjustable cut off that is GREAT! It's one of the features I missed most about giving up on PFM 2 sound. Here's a 3rd party demo of the T2 steam decoder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl3EJAi3dUg&t=389s

All fer now!

Edited by - OK Hogger on 11/02/2017 11:32:40 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  09:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

Moving at a turtle's pace on some of the things I hope to get accomplished before retirement time arrives. Trying to decide between using code 88 or stay with code 110 wheel sets for the rolling stock. Main concerns: Performance on Shinohara switches and flex track as well as not blending in well with the engines, which have 110 wheels.

Trackplan: I have a "sort of - kind of" mainline configuration developed that will accomplish some of the things I want it to accomplish, but I have yet to scale-in the sidings/etc to make sure I can also include those elements, too.

Sure wish there was more activity here at this forum! Seems as if the most prolific posters of the past have gone AWOL! Seeing progress on their projects typically inspires me to make progress on mine. Symbiotic sort of thing, 'ya know?

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  2:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm one of the prolific posters who have gone AWOL, my hibernation is the result of of the need to handle some necessary things of life and a remodeling project.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  5:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remodeling is a royal PIA.

Hope the "other" part isn't as ominous and sounds. Hope it's not health issues or some other serious type of event.

We'll be waiting patiently and hoping for the best.

Edited by - OK Hogger on 11/13/2017 5:44:24 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  12:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update!

I "THINK" I've come up with a mainline arrangement that I can work with. The particulars:

* Will be my own Colorado & Pacific: HO standard gauge using very short equipment, tight curves, and #4 switches. I figure if the CM could do it (first std gauge into the Rockies), we could do it first. I'm also using the ruling grades found on the CM and the tight curves as well, as my "excuse" for excessive compression!

* On stage (visible) mainline run of about 55' with no track doubling back through the same scene and utilizes only one "loop" to gain the desired elevation.

* 3-track visible staging at both ends. The layout is to represent a short helper section (of many!) that's on a longer rail system. (Hence the desire for staging.)

* Helper grades BOTH directions. (Did I mention I like helper grades? ) An eastbound ascending grade of approximately 23' of 3.6%, and a westbound ascending grade consisting of about 12' of 4%.

* The eastern helper town at 48" height, summit at 58" height, western helper town at 52" height. Both helper towns can be operated while being seated upon a padded swiveling bar stools w/backs, one of which I purchased a couple weeks ago to help determine my confines.

* Four meeting points: Passing possible at both helper towns, the summit, and a pass track on the longest of the grades.

* Small return loops both ends for lazy times when I just want to run trains. (Will be using automated reversing units designed for DCC.)

* I will fit in mines/small industries and such as I can once the details start getting filled-in.

* The scenery and overall theme will definitely be "funky fantastic", just how much "funky fantastic" remains to be seen. I make no apologies that my effort will draw from the inspiration of many, such as: John Allen, Malcolm Furlow, Frederic Testard, Carl Fallberg (Fiddletown & Copperopolis), etc. (EDIT: And the fabulous past HOn3 layout of John Ott. See here: http://www.ottgalleries.com/SCC.html ) Thus, my TOC19 layout will be nowhere near "compliant" with today's accepted concepts of model railroading. However, I'm absolutely fine with that: I want my own world complete with it's own stories and characters, for to me, that will be part of the fun.

Okay... there you have it... off to shower, then fix/eat lunch before I have to pack up and head off to work to play with the 1:1 trains! (Working a 1400 hr call time this week instead of the regular 0700 call time. Yes, it sucks, but my RR apologizes generously for my inconvenience come pay day!)

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 11/15/2017 1:13:38 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  8:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

With the diversity in modeling approaches these days, I'm not sure I can figure out what "today's accepted concepts of model railroading" actually are. Reading the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette suggests to me that there are many concepts, so I say don't worry about being compliant. We promise not to count rivets.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  10:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

(Disclaimer: The thoughts below are simply my opinions without any authoritative data to back it, other than the many model railroading forums I browse as well as oft exposure to the larger of the model railroading publications.)

Mainstream model railroading seems to have moved toward modeling a specific prototype, realistic scenes, more prototypical track arrangements, more modern era's (including graffiti covered rolling stock), etc. Within mainstream thinking and the track planning realm, "spaghetti bowls" are VERBOTTEN. Imaginative/creative/witty modeling is "cutesy" and to be avoided/etc. I accept that we TOC19 modelers, of any persuasion, are definitely niche modelers and most certainly we march to a different drum beat. Thus, my upcoming TOC19 efforts will likely find more acceptance among "us TOC19'ers" (and hopefully the much valued input, see below) than among those that model within the more mainstream approach.

I'm not worried about being compliant in the least, but I do recognize that once underway with my C&P layout/theme, posting progress pics, philosophical ideas, and such, will receive very limited input at the more "mainstream" types of forums, for it will simply not interest the vast majority of modelers there. Thus, I expect this forum (and other early rail social media I'm a part of) to be my outlet for sharing TOC19 pics/progress, for I do feel I'm among "like minded modelers" here, regardless of our layout/modeling philosophy we may embrace.

You see, I use social media for:

* Informational exchange. (To learn about the subject at hand.)

* Inspiration. (From viewing other's efforts.)

* Motivation. (By sharing my own progress.)

Thus, I want to maximize my time invested within a specific modeling interest I am pursuing at the time. (Remember, I also like diesel modeling.)

SO... this is my TOC19 outlet... and other forums are my diesel outlet!

Did any of that make sense?

Ah well, it seemed like the thing to type at time.

Edited by - OK Hogger on 11/16/2017 10:12:44 AM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  5:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FINALLY!!

After several days (week+ ?) of cranial vapor lock, today I've made very good progress on a getting closer to reaching a Version 1 track plan.

As of now:

* I have an arrangement for summit siding that I can be happy with.

* I have an arrangement for "Pickhandle" siding on the eastern climb that will work.

* I have a basic arrangement for the eastern helper town in place. (I expect there to be more refinements here, but it is showing promise!)

Still to come is the western helper town. I already had the approaches to, as well as the 3 track stages themselves, penciled-in and those ideas appear to be usable.

Once I'm okay with the basic version, it will be time to start trying to add some micro-industries (mainly mines) here and there.

Other than the small pass track town of "Pickhandle", I haven't applied myself to name the towns/places, yet. However, I've been compiling a list of names I like for years (decades, actually), so I have a goodly amount to chose from, as well as any new ones I come up with.

For sure, Fanny LePlentee's "Silver Slipper Saloon and Social Club" will find a place somewhere to serve the hard rock miners in this portion of the Colorado & Pacific region! Very much looking forward to all the fun ahead.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  10:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This n' that...

Track:

* Got a good price on a package deal for some Shinohara code 70 #4 switches. They shipped today. (Gotta' move on such deal when they appear, whether one is ready to lay track or not!)

* Also will be ordering 5 or 6 bundles of Micro Engineering Code 70 Non-weathered flex track within a month or so.

Rolling Stock:

* Getting ready to put together an order for 10 packs of Kadee Code 88 33" rib-back wheel sets. That will be enough for 30 cars. I will also need some 36" wheels for the passenger cars.

* Will also be putting together a sampler order for the Kadee #58 series couplers and boxes. Purchase of multiple packs of same to follow once I know what shank/box combinations will do what.

Goal is to have all needed rolling stock essentials on hand before my Christmas week vacation. I intend to start in on my rolling stock stash over the course of my vacation that week. (Instead of taking off on a trip, we intend to just stay around the house, so some of my vacation time will be used for modeling time!)

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 11/22/2017 10:37:13 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  9:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep us up to date? I'm working away on my layout but haven't been posting as much; I added several non-MR projects to my list over the past 6 months.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  12:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jbvb:

I'll do my best to stay on top of updates as things happen.

Amid all of the diversions during the Holiday Season, I have finally sat down and put together orders for the following:

10 Pks of Kadee 533 33" Code 88 rib-back wheel packs.
2 Pks of Kadee 531 36" Code 88 rib-back wheel packs.

Plus, 2 packs each of the 58 series whisker couplers in short, med, and long shank lengths.

I have ordered enough wheels to make a huge dent on equipping the rolling stock fleet with metal code 88 wheels, and armed with the variety of 58 series couplers, I'll be able to determine what will be my standard coupler. I'm hoping the short shank 153 w/242 boxes will perform acceptably on the tighter than normal curves I will need to use. Experiements forthcoming!

Lastly, yesterday I actually spent some time at my new workbench piddling with some of the locomotive projects I have on the shelves!

OH... and I'm one terminal away from having a Version 1 track plan. Unfortunately, LOTS cranial flatulation is taking place as I stare at that terminal space. I'll eventually figure somethin' out.

All fer now!

Andre Ming

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  1:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Looking forward to seeing the new track plan, as well as your rolling stock projects. Can you post what you have so far?

In other news, I recently decided to take the plunge into Sn3/S and narrow my focus on to a smaller freelanced 3í gauge shortline. Donít suppose you have any of your Sn3 stuff still kicking around in search of a new home?

Chris

Edited by - ChrisS on 11/27/2017 1:45:37 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  10:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris:

The track plan has been like pulling teeth. Don't know why, except I do feel a bit of "pressure" to come up with something ASAP in view of my fast-approaching retirement, so that may be part of it. I still have SO much layout stuff to accumulate, but I need a Version 1 track plan configuration so I'll know how many of what switches (turnouts) and track laying stuff that I'll need.

When I share the plan with you all, you'll all see that I've attempted to pack in as much "drama" as I could given the constraints of the room, along with self-imposed constraints.

The rolling stock is simply AHM/Mantua stuff that needs to be doctored up to look better, along with installing quality wheels as well as couplers. Essentially ALL of the rolling stock will need paint and decals. Speaking of which... that's yet ANOTHER item I need to start addressing: Some custom decals for my Colorado & Pacific theme. (Wow... so much to do!)

Sn3:

I sold all of the scratch-bashed rolling stock to an Sn3 friend of mine last year. I may have some "unexciting" stuff like Sn3 flex track (and a butt load of S scale std gauge flex track) and what have you. Also may have some detail parts/etc.

As for rolling stock: I may also have some MDC "Old Timer" boxcars and reefer cars that are re-gauged to Sn3, and some are slightly modified (to sit lower), but I don't know if you'd be interested in such.

Thanks for your interest!

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 11/27/2017 10:41:00 PM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  8:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, tonight I learned that the old AHM/Pocher 34' boxcars and the later Bachmann versions of the same car...are NOT the same animals.

Decades ago (mid-80's) I picked up a trio of the little 34' boxcars then being offered by Bachmann (I think). These converted to scale quite painlessly. (NOTE: Just looked and the Bachmann's were made in Hong Kong, China.)

Fast forward to last year's accumulating of AHM's versions... MANY of them:

Not the same animal AT ALL. Pocher used a totally different frame-to-body mounting system resulting in a higher body height and partially exposed frame. Preliminary efforts on my first Pocher conversion indicate it's now going to be a royal PIA to get the body to snuggle down and cover the entire frame as well as holding the frame in place once so modified. PLUS, the cast-on details on the AHM/Pocher's are more coarse and they have odd roofs and roof walks.

Bottom line: Going to take notably more effort to make the Pocher versions more "scale" looking.

IMHO: The Bachmann "China" cars are BETTER in looks and snap-together design, and most certainly convert to scale with less hassle.

DARN! Wish this was apparent to me when I was buying up these AHM/Pocher's by the dozen!!!

And of course, the above FWIW!

Andre

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000