Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 190 ]  [ Total: 195 ]  [ Newest Member: mike mientus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sliding door reefers? Topic Next Topic: Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!
Page: of 68

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  11:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And another example I have of a little 4-4-0 involved in steep grades...

Below is a picture of a 4-4-0 in the Ozarks on switchbacks that exceeded 4%. This scene was during the construction of the tunnel at Winslow, Ark, back in 1881 or so. By virtue of the switchbacks, the line was able to be put into operation all the way to Van Buren, Ark (about 45 miles) prior to the completion of the tunnel. This way, that traffic could commence as the tunnel was completed. The StL&SF used the switchbacks to get freight over the divide while the tunnel was being built (about a year).

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/17/2021 11:24:14 AM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  3:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While out in the train room, I cleaned up the PSC diamond stack casting (these things have "warts", seam ridges/etc!) and modified the 0-6-0 boiler to receive same:

I like the PSC stack a whole bunch better. BUT... they're going to be a pain to install because they have the base cast-on, thus the cast-on base on the boilers have to be filed off and sanded smooth. Worth it, but a pain.

I'm beginning to suspect that humongous stack diamond stack I used previously came off an On3/30 engine in the dateless past. In fact, can't even remember how I came by it!

Andre

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  11:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spent a bit of time this morning filing off the cast-on base that was on the smoke box on my MDC/Mantua mish-mash. This means I'm now committed to using the PSC diamond stack on this model. (As well as the 0-6-0 boiler model.)

However, it turned out great and I really like the the way it compliments the other elements, like the fluted domes. (What I won't like is that I'll have to glue-on the stack.)

SO, at least two engines on the C&P's roster will have this style of stack! Gotta admit, these stacks are a pain to deal with on account the casting seam lines, warts, and such to deal with, and also having to carefully file off the cast-on bases. BUT, it's the only game in town I can readily find for that classic double angle diamond stack look.

A quickie-pic:

I think I can be very happy with a couple of 2-8-0 engines configured as above.

EDIT: Forgot to mention still to come is modifying the frame to accommodate a long wood pilot.

I also have another idea for the Mantua boiler, but it will cost two boilers to make only one usable boiler. So, I'm going to hold off pursuing that idea for a spell.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/18/2021 11:28:28 AM

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  08:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
Looks really good. The lowered dome bases look better and the stack does compliment the domes.

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 03/19/2021 08:47:00 AM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  09:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Scott!

Agree on both counts!

I do like the way the Consol is shaping up.

As for the Mogul, I think the domes bases need to filed down. I'll also have to figure out a way to add boiler bands. Originally thought to just use copper/bronze colored decals, but I'm now wondering if there needs to be some 3D relief of some type.

General: I will likely modify a few MDC cabs to have a peak roofs on some of my engines, too.

Eventually, I'll need to pull back from this conceptual fiddling and start thinking in terms of the nuts and bolts of where I want to go with the remainder of the year.

At this point, my model RR goals for this year are:

* Make the planned revisions on the Ozark layout.

* Install backdrop boards, lighting, and paint the basic sky color onto the backdrop boards.

* Install basic fascia on the Ozark layout.

* Have my small Colorado layout 100% functional by years end.

Along the way, I'll piddle with engines, rolling stock, structures for the two layouts as mood inclines.

All fer now!

Andre

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
Are you going to use Evergreen strips glued on or thin brass strips epoxied on?
Also if you want to add rivets, are you familiar with Archer Transfers? They make rivets for different scales.
http://www.archertransfers.com/SurfaceDetailsMain.html
I used N scale rivets on my Z scale camel back build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52530

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 03/19/2021 10:25:45 AM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  10:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott:

Don't know on the boiler bands. What have you used in Z?

I've heard of Archer, but have never used their products. I see a need for them on some of the smoke boxes I'll need to shorten. To avoid trial/error purchasing in order to match existing/remaining rivets, I might need to employ the "shotgun" approach and buy a selection of rivet sheets so I can have my azz covered in one purchase/shipping charge.

You Z work never ceases to amaze me. You truly are a pioneer TOC19'er in that scale!! (Are you the ONLY TOC19'er in Z??)

Andre

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  11:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
I think either brass or plastic, but the plastic comes in strips and is easier to work with. The band size is so small, that I am using decals like Archer's.

I purchased the rivet assortment in N scale, for the same reason.

Thanks for the compliment. The camel back is 1903-1917s or there abouts, so it's not quite TOC19(but no one is building camel backs in Z).
But my 4-4-0(1888), 2-8-0(1890) and 4-6-0(1888) are TOC19, so yes I am the only one.

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 03/19/2021 11:30:06 AM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  11:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Band thickness: Well, there's that.

ALL the molded-on bands on my locomotives are way too thick. Those bands on the prototypes were/are not an inch or more in thickness as are typically modeled cast-on bands. I may just use decals and call it good. Using decals would certainly be easier!

Andre

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  3:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All:

My NIB MDC OT 2-8-0 kit w/NS wheels arrived in good order just a few minutes ago. That gives me seven 2-8-0's w/NS wheels. I'm going to hold off obtaining anymore at this point.

Rant:

I'm at a loss to explain why old $7.95 wood kits for gallows/A-frame turntables have skyrocketed in price, but they sure have. Another formerly inexpensive kit hit eBay recently, and with over 5 days to go, it's already getting up into the stupid range. I'm out. Have at it whomever it is out there that wants it that bad.

Plea:

If any of you have the kit plans for the old Mil-Scale Gallows table, or the old H-D Scale A-frame table kits, would you please be willing to make copies of the plans w/drawings and share here? It would be greatly appreciated by this modeler, for sure. It's apparent that I will need to scratch build my own turntables, for there's no way in h*ll I'm going to pay $154 for a simplistic wooden kit. I'll obtain my own basswood and cut it myself instead of paying the stupid prices such kits are bringing on eBay.

Andre

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  3:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
Are you familiar with the HO Seeker site? https://hoseeker.net/

I found this on that site.

Also some links on articles about building A frame/gallows turn tables. A few of the articles have plans in them.
http://www.brewerplans.com/structures.htm
https://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?threads/60%C2%B4gallows-turntable-for-hon3.89712/
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/8569?page=1
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2011-08-aug/hon3_turntable
https://www.greatnorthern.us/turntable.html
http://stevensvalleyrr.blogspot.com/2012/12/

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 03/19/2021 3:58:58 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  4:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for researching and sharing that.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  4:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

In the past I've used 1/4" phone jacks (plug/receptacles) to transfer power to the rails. I'll probably do that again, only I may use 1/8" jacks this time.

I'm getting ready to have company and a weekend long motorcycle ride... so I'll grow silent for spells, but I very much appreciate your assist.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2021 :  5:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So I received my three Walthers SceneMaster "Instant Horizon" scenes I ended up ordering from Slovenia. (Seriously!)

All NIB and arrived in good order. HOWEVER...

As I suspected, matching print ink from sheet to sheet spread over several production runs may (will?) result in the possibility of mismatched colors. Such is the case with the #701 "Sierra Boomtown" sheet. It noticeably lacks the color and vibrancy of the #702 (Tall Timber) sheet or the #703 (Mountains to Desert) sheet. (Wife says it looks like it was left out in the sun, though that isn't the case.)

Perhaps used by itself as a backdrop for a photo, it would be okay. Used with the other two sheets... not so much.

SO... looks like I'll have to roll the dice again and hope to purchase one that was printed before the ink roller got too dry!

This IS a fun hobby, right? RIGHT?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2021 :  7:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if it's any consolation, I order the #701 and 702 from two different sellers got the same washed out 701 too. So It's apparently the whole run is printed that way. I got them to help me in planning and they sit 180' from each other so matching won't be a problem if I decide to use them.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 68 Previous Topic: Sliding door reefers? Topic Next Topic: Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000