Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 195 ]  [ Total: 198 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sliding door reefers? Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks
Page: of 68

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  9:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it’s not me.

About 45 years of attending auctions including Ebay has taught me that there’s always another bidder. Chances are that nothing you did caused rivals to bid.

Mike

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  11:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Even if was you: No harm, no foul. All’s fair in love and auctions!

I upped my bid and was highest bidder until about 1 sec to go, then got sniped. Oh well.

Track Plan:

I’m pleased with what I have for the main room. Last small town to fill out is the one in the closet. I’ll be working on that area tomorrow afternoon.

The gradients will simply fall where they may. Seeing as I have precedent throughout the Rockies of grades into the ridiculous range, and seeing as the switchbacks are to portray a temporary solution to a temporary problem, I’ll be fine with however they end up.

I’m really beginning to like what has shaped up. There is going to be a lot of operation: Getting through tonnage over the switchbacks, working the Spurs at the towns, working the mines, and more. However I’ll have to use the closet town as a fiddle point for adding/removing trains. Can’t have it all in the small space I have to work with.

I’d post a pic of the track plan but I’m having to use my iPhone to access the internet, for the line to our house has no signal. A Tech is supposed to be here Monday.

All fer now!

Andre

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are probably better off buying a Roundhouse 2-8-0 and adding some details. That engine looked like it would need a LOT of work to get running anything close to smooth.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Edited by - dave1905 on 03/01/2021 7:59:11 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  09:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dave.

Don’t you already have several basket cases in the hopper?

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  2:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave/Mike:

I liked its lines, pilot, cab, etc. also, the drivers looked smaller in diameter to MDC’s 51” drivers. I figured at the worst I could likely fit it onto an MDC 2-8-0 frame.

Mike:

I prefer to call them “projects”. (Lol!) Yes, I have a few such “projects”, but that’s different.

I think my biggest challenges will be the two Arbour Brooks Mogul kits I have on hand. I’ll probably procrastinate those kits for a LONG time. But both of you are likely correct: It would have been another “project” that would have been a time and $$ sinkhole and probably would have stretched out over years and never finished.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 02/28/2021 2:14:36 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  2:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We probably all have a few of those projects waiting for the right moment ( and sometimes, parts)

Mike

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  5:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Track Plan:

So, I now have a Ver. 1 track plan for the small room. It can definitely be done. Total switches needed: 18.

Now it simmers for a while as I fix issues I find as well as explore modification ideas as they come to me. Still need to decide on where a very small engine service track needs to be located. Thinking it needs to be on the east side of the divide. Still a long way from starting actual work on it.

I will have to wait until our internet is restored before I have the means to upload a resized pic of the plan.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  5:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You continue to make good progress. I look forward to seeing your plan.

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  09:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will the 18 switches be point or stub?

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  4:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

And last night I began drawing up a Version 2 track plan! I was attempting a different switchback configuration. However I decided against it. Thus Version 1 is still at top of the “Definite Maybe” list.

Dave:

Nope. I’m taking the lazy way out and using point switches.

All fer now!

Andre

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  8:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Nope. I’m taking the lazy way out and using point switches.

Just checking to see whether you were "committed" or "should be committed". Its such a fine line in this era.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  9:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Though I love the “look” of 19th century railroading that I see in the history books, there’s two elements I will NOT attempt to model:

Stub switches: IF there was a line of “plop n’ play” stub switches in the needed diverging arrangement and numbers (like Shinohara’s code 70 Iine), then I would be interested. However there’s no way I’m going to learn to make my own.

Link n’ pin: Likewise, no way on God’s green earth am I going to fart around with tweezers and teeny tiny link pins. Kadee knuckle couplers will be hunky-dory for this boy. Besides, I’m more interested in switching and shuffling cars than I am historical fidelity.

My TOC19 Layout Philosophy:

My layout will not be appealing to the 19th century purist modeler. It’s going to contain too many “caricature” aspects therein. I’m fine with that. I want to attempt what I’ve wanted to do for a long, long time. Namely, create my own world and my own interpretation of Colorado mountain railroading, circa early 1880’s. I can already see from my tonnage experiments tonight, along with my inspirational layout pics in my “Modeling Inspirations” folder, that my ideas have a LOT of potential to be a ton of fun for me.

Hopefully this time I’ll follow through and actually put forth effort to make a layout happen!

All fer now.

Andre

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  10:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meet the COLORADO & PACIFIC!

I now have a track plan that satisfies me. I guess you could call it “Version 1.6” or something! Lost count of the minor modifications, however the basic mainline configuration is the same as always. The particulars:

* Overall layout size (including closet run-through): 14’ 6” x 9’ 6”.

* Mainline length via switchbacks: Approximately 90’.

* Total switches: 22.

* Towns/Stations w/Pass Tracks: 4.

* Maximum grades on continuous mainline: 0%

* Maximum grades on switchbacks: 5.0% - 5.2%

Location Names:

Stations/Sidings w/Pass Tracks:

* Redcloud
* Buckhorn
* Moccasin Pass
* Avalanche

The layout is set among the rugged, but beautiful, Cajones Brazos Mountains. The town of Buckhorn sits in the shadow of the formidable mountain known as Nalgos Grande. There are many interesting rock formations such, as the Devil’s Needle, to be seen along the way.

The thriving towns in the Moccasin Pass region have Team Tracks and some have small industry spurs. Three mines have opened along the line in that region alone. Westward, the rails have not only reached the targeted ore region, but have also reached the coal region as well. Lots of tonnage is flowing east and west.

Work continues on the Moccasin Pass Tunnel, but it’s going agonizingly slow. In the meantime, tonnage struggles over the pass via the switchbacks expertly laid out by the C&P’s Head Transitman I.M. Blihend. However the design marvel it is, the Trainmen have deep respect for steep grades and tight curves.

More news as it becomes available!

Andre

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  3:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While I understand the link and pin thing, there is an alternative, "staple" couplers. You have the housing like a link and pin coupler uses, with a vertical hole in the housing. Instead of links and pins, you use a "staple", an upside down "U" shaped piece of wire. Still very fiddley and requires tweezers (and an optivisor for me), but not as horrible as actual link and pin.

A friend of mine has a Gn18 tram layout (1/24th scale on HO gauge track) that uses a unique coupling system. Each car and engine has a vertical pin on the buffer/pilot beam and he uses decorative chain as a coupling. It is the kind that has alternating round and elongated links. Each chain is 3 links, 2 long and a round. A wire with an L hook on the end is used to couple and uncouple. Since its G scale its not too hard on the eyes and actually works quite well.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  12:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave:

Thanks for your input concerning alternatives to actually using tiny links n’ pins.

I could see how link n’ pin use could be doable in the G gauge scales.

However I still feel that the fewer H factor*additives I attempt to include in my TOC19 aspirations, the better the chances of me actually doing this.

* H factor = Hassle Factor

All fer now!

Andre

Page: of 68 Previous Topic: Sliding door reefers? Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000