Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 54

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  9:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Descriptions I find for the 1977 CM 4-6-0 I think you're talking about say it was manufactured with a can motor. My own experience with later Hallmark models is that Bobbye Hall put considerable effort into quality inside and out.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  11:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi jbvb!

Thanks for additional input into the CM Ten Wheelers. Still pretty expensive for my tastes... but who knows? Maybe I'll see one and can't live without it!

While you're here...

I've been looking at the fast clock system available at that link you posted previously. ( http://www.thegmlenterprises.com/id19.html ) Am I understanding correctly that you can't purchase the system without purchasing two clocks? (And not just one?)

Here's a quote of their opening paragraph:

"With the installation of this unique system, realistic fast clock operating sessions are now possible. This system design is for one (1) clock controller unit (Model #FC-6) and up to six (6) remote analog clock units (Model #CLK-x). This CONTROLLER/REMOTE approach allows the installation of the controller in your dispatch panel and placement of a minimum of 2 and up to 6 remote units anywhere on your layout. This ensures that ALL operators can view the current time in order to maintain your timetables."

(Note: I added italics for emphasis.)

Am I correct? That is, did you have to purchase TWO clocks when you purchased your system? I can't for the life of me figure why the system would require two clocks.

Also, do the clocks have to be hard wired to the fast time device, or is this a wireless system?

I'm definitely interested in purchasing their system.

Downside: Looks like I would need two clocks anyway, for I can't find a central location where a single clock can be viewed from either side of the peninsula.

Thanks for any additional input you can offer.

Andre

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I needed two clocks because my attic is 40' long with a big chimney in the middle, so I didn't think about that language deeply. Since each clock is powered from the controller, they must be directly wired using wire heavy enough to carry the pulses. I could imagine the controller not working right unless there was enough load on it. My two clocks are identical, but I don't think that's a requirement, just that the clock mechanisms have similar characteristics.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  12:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks jbvb for your additional input.

I would need to figure out an enclosure for the control panel, for it will not be able to be installed on the fascia. It is looking like it will need to be separate on a different wall and may need to be wall-mounted, with lines running from it to the clocks.

All in good time. Much still to do before I'm ready to commit the $$ to a controller and fast clocks.

Layout:

Filling in the gaps in the ties at joints and switches. S-L-O-W and piddly-diddly for sure. Probably going to print out, paste n' cut out place locations and install them today, too.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  4:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I've been doodling along out in the Hut filling in the gaps in the ties. I have one town (Mountain Top) 90% done. Comparing it to the unfinished town on the bottom level, I think it looks a ho' lot mo' bettuh:

While there, I decided I just don't like the way the double spur turned out looking. (Visible on the left in the above pic.)

The above photo exaggerates the S curves, but in spite of that, I just didn't like the results, thinking it ended up looking "awkward" and "contrived" instead of flowing and making sense.

SO...

I've already undone the wiring, and plucked out the switch and spurs. Going to redo it using a #4 left this time. I will give up some curvature (which I was trying to capitalize upon), but will gain in car capacity. I think this change will help my world to be right again.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  1:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here's the revision...

I like the "flow" better. (Hard to define.) I'm content. All is good.

All fer now.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  2:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it does flow better. looks like a good place for a sawmill. logs on the right and two lumber loading spurs on the left.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  4:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 'ya Bob!

Good to see that you concur. Helps me to know I was on the right track.

Oddly (given my past propensity to micro-plan), I haven't put too much forethought into what industries will go where.

For the 1880s, a larger "peckerwood" sawmill could go quite well there. As you say, logs in on the right, finished lumber out on the left pair of spurs (boxcars, mainly). Then, for the 1960s, a small tie cutting operation on the right spur, and the left pair of spurs can be yard/utility tracks for southbound shorts and/or classification/storage.

For some reason I just sort of assume I'll figure all of this out when the time comes, which is quite different for me.

Layout...

Still trimming/cutting/stuffin' ties under the gaps. Tedious and slow going.

"Smiles":

Ended up with 132.25' of main line. I used a clothier's 60" tape measure to lay along the main and mark the layout in 5' segments. Should I decide to use 12:1 fast time for operations, then those will become "smile" posts. A "smile" is the ratio of a mile to the fast time being used. In this case, 12:1 yields a 5' compressed "smile". Thus, if the model is running a scale 10 MPH, it will take 6 fast minutes to make a "smile", as it would be on the prototype in 1:1. That so, for timekeeping/scheduling purposes, then my layout measure to be 26.5 "smiles" long. Running 10 MPH from end to end should require a little over 2.5 fast hours.

Mileposts would be nice, for that's the way things are reckoned on the prototype. (Slow orders, MOW locations, situations, etc.) To take it a step further, I can subdivide the "smile" into four equal parts, thus I now can have "pole" numbers (telegraph poles were numbered within a mile, typically 40 poles per mile). Thus, each "smile" will have the Milepost, and also have 10/20/30 pole markers. (Typically that was hash marks on the specified telegraph pole.) SO, telegraph poles can be placed every 15"* and there you go. Now you're railroadin'!

Thus, should a slow order read: "10 MPH MP 85 + 20 poles account of burnt rail"... the "Crew" (visiting operator) will need to keep up with their location and be at the prescribed speed until their train is over the restriction. The basic concept can be incorporated relatively quickly on a non scenic-ed layout with simple pencil marks. However, this is WAAAY off in the future in regards to the scenic support such would entail: MP markers, appropriately placed telegraph poles w/hash marks. Still, it could be fun for those that operate with me that didn't railroad to experience what's like to reckon the line by mile posts and land features, as it is on the prototype.

However, before ANY of the above can be implemented, I'll need to decide what miles are being modeled via my layout. That will take some imagineering with the aid of Google Maps to approximate how far into the Ozarks my layout is supposed to be located. Sounds like it ought to be fun to figure that out. All in good time.

All fer now.

Andre

* EDIT: Corrected my math. 60" (5') divided into four parts is 15", not the 12.5" I had typed.

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/11/2019 6:13:58 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  4:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Flows much better. You no longer have two S-curves in a row, which can present derailment opportunities.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  11:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay... sort of at a stand still until the track for the north/upper stage arrives. According to the UPS tracking #, that may be today.

I'm pretty much caught up with the layout as it sits:

* All track cleaned.

* All engine wheels cleaned.

* Usable cars placed here n' there on the layout and stages.

We're not talking actual operation, here, but instead more of a demonstration.

For today, I think I'm going to go through my boxed train set cars and pull the ones that could be converted for use in minimal time and work to get more cars "roll ready". (Kadee couplers/wheels/etc.) Should the track arrive, car work will be suspended and I'll go to work on getting the north stage track in place.

Here's some pics of the layout as it waits for Thursday...

The stages w/trains ready...

The main towns...

(Note in the above pic there's a helper at Ozarka ready for the northbound.)

Out toward Hogback Mountain...

SO... there you have it. Now it's back out to the workbench to see what I can do for some quickie rolling stock.

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  12:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now, all is good. How are you going to do your basic land forms?

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  2:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob!

Land forms. Interesting question that I've been pondering for quite some time.

Short version:

Extruded styrofoam via the "cake layer" method.

The verbose version:

There will only be sky blue (and possibly photo mountain backdrops) in the stages, so no worries there. At Ozarka and Mountain Top, the main effects will have to be carried by the backdrops also. There will be corners at Ozarka and Mountain Top that I will be able to work in some land forms, and IMHO they will be needed to convey the idea that there is some topography the railroad had to deal with at those locations.

Along most portions of the main, I intend to use extruded styrofoam via "cake layer" method. Most of that will be quite straight forward. I want to use the extruded styrofoam so I can have more control in the shaping of it, as well as the resultant lightweight.

It is my hope to create some removable land forms for the inside of the horseshoe loop and the Buck Hollow scene. I'm also simmering an idea for land form view blocks up on the upper level return loop doughnut area so I can avoid a back drop between the upper level doughnut and the town scene, as will need to be the case down below at Ozarka.

All of this is still some time away, so I'll have more time to ponder and do some more mock ups to see if I can make it work. I have begun dabbling with cardboard fascia to determine land form angles and such where it will meet the fascia. So far, so good. In all, I'm looking forward to the land form stage, except I'm kind of dreading the styro-dust that using a Surform creates. I am thinking about purchasing a hot wire system for the basic cutting and such.

Enough of my drivel... I'm heading back out to the building to go back to work on some cars.

Andre

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  2:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made 3 removable sections for scenes against the backdrop which would otherwise be tiresome to work on. These are only a few feet long and either 1 or 2 layers, so they didn't need a lot of hot wire cutting. I used some Nichrome wire from a surplus place and an old Lionel transformer. A Variac would also work.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  6:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, if you use a hot cutter be sure an d vent the work area. The fumes are poison.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  9:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi jbvb:

I figured such an approach (removable styro scenes) would work. In my case, it will figuring out how to apply the idea to my sets of circumstances.

Bob:

If I go the hot wire route, I promise I'll be careful. I dun't wont more dain bramage than I already have from Floquil Diosol.

Andre

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000